Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cam Orientation

Before I close this engine up, is there any way to verify I haven't done something really dumb like inverting one of the camshafts 180 degrees? I've completed the cam timing according to the book, but would like some peace of mind.
Thanks, Walt/ 82SC
Old 03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Turn the engine over and verify that the intake valves (or exhaust if you prefer) are opening in the proper order (same as cylinder firing order).
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

At TDC for #1 (distributor pointing at #1) the writing on both cams will be right side up. Also, the orientation of both cams will be the same i.e. if the "top" of the left cam is at 1 o'clock, the top of the right cam should also be at 1 o'clock.
The left cam will have an odd number for the 3rd digit from the right. The right cam will have an even number. (This works for all Porsche parts AFIK.)
In the case of an SC:
Left: 14710 odd number
Right: 14810 even number

-Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: