Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 Rebuild-I did something stupid

I did something stupid.
recleaning engine with citrus cleaner and then using water to get citrus off.....I wrapped the cam chain openings but not good enough. Some water got inside the case, I tipped the motor and got some back out...

What should I do now....fill up the case with oil and flush out???

Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would think time will take care of that, water dries, leave it open in a warm spot and let nature take over....

I am only guessing, so if there are any real experts on this jump in.

Be glad you are here in CA so you are not dealing with ice in the case

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

yes, the water will evaporate. Shouldn't cause any damage to the case. I would turn the motor so the sump is down. this will let most drain away.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-14-2005, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ive had problems with citrus cleaner residue on aluminum parts oxidizing, or what ever, the surface. Id rinse the cases out real carefully. Probably use oil unless I was real sure of the neutralizer.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm getting the same opinion over the years that citrus cleaner can be fairly agressive with some materials.....rinse off with lots of water and then maybe also use soap and water and don't let it sit on hot aluminum. If I did this again I would spend more time cleaning the engine before taking the chain covers/heads off.

-h
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd think that once you are done getting the citrus water out, spraying in lots of WD-40 would help displace the remaining water. (WD-40 = Water Displacement 40) Just a theory...
-Chris
Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
My concern would not be the citrus cleaner but the dirt and grime carried into the engine. I would use diesel fuel to rinse the case out. It's fairly cheap and cleans oil residue very well. It will also leave a coating of oil on all the internal parts.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 03-15-2005, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Oil is less dense than water, so if you choose to fill the case with oil, it will force the water to your drain plug for easy removal.

How about blowing hot air from a hair dryer in the case?

At least you don't have to worry about the water freezing and cracking the case!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: