Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Where to buy 3.3 pistons?

Hey guys, my first choice would have been Pelican, but they don't seem to offer 3.3 pistons sets.

So I am looking for who sells either just oem piston set or p/c set for a 3.3 930 engine.
TIA!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Try EBS Racing in Reno, NV.
www.ebsracing.com
Excellent support staff.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-19-2005, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
TRY SUPERTEC PERFORMANCE
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 03-19-2005, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mike I have a set of c2 turbo cylinders that are replated and bored to 98mm. These are fully finned. They have not been ran since this. They also have been teflon coated externally(heat disperant, corrosion resistance etc) They are also flame ringed by Jose Estevez at Turbo Werks so they are done correctly! I am making a last minute switch to billet cylinders and that is the ONLY reason I am getting rid of them. A set of JE's would work great in them if you were considering a 3.4. You could crank the compression up as well to get quicker spool among other things

Eric Hood
Old 03-19-2005, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Okay, not to hijack, but where should I get late style 964 pistons and cylinders....

Jeff
Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply guys,
Hi Eric! The pistons are for a client of mine, who currently has a set of je's, (7.5 cr) and he is very unhappy with them, complainignthat he hears too much piston slap. I tried to talk him out of it, but he insists on getting a set of mahles in there.

Maybe I'll buy his Je's, or they may be for sale soon enough. He has less than 500 kilometres on them!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mike, I have had equally dissatisfied customers who have previously fitted JEs to mahle cylinders. If he already has JEs that are still in servicable condition, an alternative solution is to run a set of our Nickies cylinders, which allow you to run the similarly tight clearances or even tighter than the factory mahles, hence little to no piston slap when cold. This also reduces the amount of wear on the pistons, which is a known concern with running JEs in mahle cylinders.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 03-20-2005 at 07:18 AM..
Old 03-20-2005, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I should probably start a new thread but I know Mike won't beat me up on this so...
Could this JE+Mahle problem be because there are 4 diameters (tolerance groups) of Mahles but only 1 diameter of JE?
Is anyone having this problem using properly sized, replated Mahles with JE pistons such as EBS sells?
-Chris
Old 03-20-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Tolerance is the problem. If you measure your cylinders accurately and them order your JE's to fit you should not have a problem. Keep in mind that the JE piston and cylinder combination will never be as nice as the all Mahle combo but you can make it usable. We try to use Mahle as often as possible using JE's only when the piston we want is not available from Mahle or of course when budget is part of the equation.
Although I have not used Nickies yet, they do look promising and will try them soon.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: