Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Advice on 3.2 top-end rebuild plans??

What started with a new clutch has evolved into a "while the engine is out" type of project. Anyhow the plan (still evolving) is looking like this:

- 993RS type clutch kit with 964 RS flywheel - because its all widely available Porsche parts that any dealer in Europe could fix at a pinch.

- Top end rebuild with DR Camshafts 993 Supersport grind cams to run with std euro Ps&Cs and std intake. Why? Because 993SS grind seems as wild as you can go with std Ps&Cs (without notching/replacing Ps) and common plenum intake and offers a little better performance to 7000rpm than 964 grind or std cams.

- Rering and 993T4 rod bolts - because similar to ARP rod bolts at lower price and allows a higher rev limit.

- SSIs and low backpressure exhaust - because heat is essential in the UK and the ultimate last few hp is not essential.

- Remap probably by Steve Wong once he see AFRs from the dyno.

Most euro 3.2s see around 220-225 flywheel hp (rather than factory 231hp) so the aim is a good solid 245-250 flywheel hp. Possible? Conservative?

Its a trackday car (not racing) which sees a little road use. Appreciate all and any thoughts. Suspension, brakes etc already done.

Cheers,
Richard
Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not familiar with the 993RS parts but what advantage would they have over stock or the Sachs powersomthing setup?
I think SSI's will help the low end but limit the high end.
If you upgrade the cams I would recommend upgrading the valve springs as well.
-Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The 964RS flywheel is a little lighter than the 3.2 flywheel at little extra cost.

Valve springs and Ti top retainers are in the budget as part of the top end rebuild.

Does anyone have any other feedback, opinions?

One UK engine builder (who is quoting to supply valve springs, retainers etc, but who is not my engine builder) is very sceptical about any cams coming out of the US after seeing some cams with different grinds left to right. He simply will not buy any from the US. Everyone on the board seems to think very highly of Dougherty Cams but being being on the other side of the Atlantic it is very hard, time consuming and expensive to get any parts exchanged or returned if there is any problem - believe me, I have gone thru this with seat mounts, suspension parts and brake parts and everytime I have taken a big shot in the wallet despite some very good vendors.

I am having some second thoughts and would welcome some affirmation from the many knowledgable heads on the board.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good question. I would guess John Dougherty and other cam makers check cams with cam doctor after the regrind or use another way to check the regrind quality. If the UK engine builder can present metrology data to support his claim, then I suggest he do that and put it on the forum. I would put forward the idea that these cars are not F1 and things being off a couple of 10th's in one place or another might not be significant.

There's 2 cents.

-Henry
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to spydr32000
Richard, we use Wade cams here in Melbourne. They are very good, and have been around for a long time. For 911's they prefer to use billets but this depends on your chosen grind. Keith can be contacted at www.wadecams.com/ They have a wealth of experience with a huge variety of engines.
Have you contacted Andial as they are well respected here in Australia as far as US suppliers are concerned!
Regards Mike
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Spyder-Automobiles/311683175539345
Spyder Automobiles, maintaining the integrity, building excitement!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I was kind of hoping someone may be able to confirm their good experience with cams from John Dougherty. He is certainly a helpful resource on this board and I think its nice to support people who in turn support the board.

I will call John later today in any case.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

John has been very helpful to me and has even taken his time to email quite a bit off the board. I had a 1000 questions when I started this.
I had all the usual questions about the depth of hardness and geometry of the rockers he took his time to answer every one. I called company E a couple of times and was not able to get anyone with concrete answers on the phone. Also John turned the cams around in just a few days. I'm not pressing the suppliers but that was fast in comparison. I guess cam grinding is a lot like other businesses some are good and know what they are doing and some have issues. I always tend to gravitate toward suppliers that provide friendly and responsive service. I'm no cam expert....if my car fires up and runs without issues I will be very happy...if the cam is 0.0001" off somewhere it will be the least of my worries.
I guess that's my 3 cents in this case.
-h
Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Richard,

have you been in touch with Francis Tuthill for advice?

check out the website:

http://www.francistuthill.co.uk/

they did a great job on my suspension and their workshop was full of mainly race and rally cars that they prepare - including a 959.

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 04-06-2005, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: