Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
87 Carerra: After topend rbld: Sputters if floor it. Accels well if depress it slowly

87 Carerra: After topend rbld: Sputters if floor it. Accels well if depress it slowly.

Just droped her back in and all is well. It sputteres bucles and kicks if floor it after leaving the line. All connections seem ok. Fuel? I filled it with premium as always, but don't know if fuel related.

She runs well. Initial run ok.

It rained and when drove her again it sputtered if I depressed the pedal quickly. If depress the pedal at a controled rate (like slowly depressing it to the floor). She accelerates at full throttle if I depress pedal slowly through the gears.

I removed the distributor to install the fan strap, and put it back in and the mark I made matched perfectly. I wonder if it is off by a degree to two.

What do you think, I need to look for?

It rides and sounds fine. Will drive by Mike's Tuesday.

Thank you.

Regards,
Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like timing to me.

Currently Porsche-less.....
Old 06-26-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with Don - the first thing to check is your timing. Otherwise I might think that the top end rebuild has changed the amount of fuel the engine wants. Could be that it is now running lean.

Rex
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like possible secondary ignition misfire. Check sparkplugs, wires, and connections.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Similar issue: Kurt Williams saves the day like Joe said, check plugs wires etc.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I used dielectric grease (considerable amount) on all the spark plug boots. The boots are tight on the plugs.

The engine has Nikasils that were reringed. The heads were refurbished completely ( all new exhaust guides and all new intake valves).

Run premium always!

Drove her again yesterday, and looked inside the engine bay several times, but can't notice anything out of place.

I will read the post thoroughly. Taking it easy today.

Regards,
Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bernard, where are you in FL? Are you going to Brumos 250 on Thursday?
Here is the short list:

Check timing
Check spark plug gaps
Check wires for kinks,tears etc. (look in the engine bay at night, or in a dark garage)
Was the dizzy rebuilt also? Check connections to it, tight and clean.
Engine ground strap good?
Main ground to Battery good?

Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Don:

Went to Davis Island Saturday and Sunday. Will be in Altamonte in the morning.

I was going to say I have fire braid wires (actually the fire protection is not the stainless steel type but that is the name of the wires). The wires are almost like new. There is a spot where the outside of the wire rubbed another wire. I have had these wires for 25,000 miles, and all were ok inside the boot. I used dielectric grease as protection, and spread alot of it on the plug (including the ceramic as d e g mfrs instructions).

I too wondered if was the timing. I better go read that other thread. (instead my mind daydreams to...Am I at 1,000 miles yet - can I open her up on the on ramp to the interstate ) And where did I put that wrench?

Regards,
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck, hope to see you at Brumos on thursday

Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Don, I will be in the Brumos paddock suite, looking forward to it!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Have Grandstand Tickets, and hope can get into infield by paying for infield parking.

Do you know if that going to get us in the paddock too.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
That would be a no on the paddock, from what I understand you have to get tickets for the "fan zone" for that, like 35 each I think. I'm going to try to get there around 11-12, look for the guy with the loud 3 year old girl(likes race cars and boats, for now). Did you get the car straight yet?

Old 06-29-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
This is a common symptom of fuel delivery. Make sure no fuel lines are crimped. Maybe replace fuel filter too if this hasn't already been done.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 07-02-2005, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
You did make sure that you checked the gap for the two reference sensors on the flywheel, right?

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 07-02-2005, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Have nearly driven 1000 miles. It runs strong. Just can't depress pedal quickly-yet. Now am in Key West. It's now time to get back under her again.

Spoke with Mike, who said distributor is set. To look at plugs, and check fuel pressure too. Yes there is an elongated hole for setting gap at crank sensor. Fuel filter should be good, but will order another one and replace it.

Carrera 3.5L/Forum: Is the gap 0.030-0.032 (0.8 mm)?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Any update?

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 07-13-2005, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BReyes

Carrera 3.5L/Forum: Is the gap 0.030-0.032 (0.8 mm)?

Yes, .8mm.
-Chris
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: