Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

like said will very from vender to vender
Old 10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

All points made well nuff. Have a cool one on me. no puns intended to self.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Angry UPDATE

Well friggen-A! I would definately warn anybody about getting the inside of their headers coated for turbocharged cars.

While attempting to strip the ceramic from the inside they erroded into the metal creating holes in my headers!! This totally sucks. Now I'll have to look for a pair of headers.

Anybody know where I can get a pair?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

i'm sorry to hear that. It never fails that even the best laid out plans get thrown to the wind- I just had a set of pistons that were supposed to only get coated on the tops and ring lands come back with the skirts done as well, meaning I have go back and re-hone the cylinders to ensure min clearance. Was it the coaters that damaged the headers while stripping the insides?
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Hi Charles, yeah it was the coaters. They warned me this could happen. They also said they could not be responsible. Well, what can I say.....it had to be done...and now they're fried.

Jaime
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Banned

Hey Jaime,
Did they use an abrasive media?, because if they use it, that might be the reason, they should use a chemical process instead.,who where the coaters?, cheers,Antonio.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Banned from Pelican

If you get the headers coated by a good suppiler, the coatings will not peal off, inside or out. Consequently no worries. Even so I think you were way to concerned over the flakes as they are so limited, even if they do come off, that they will not likely hurt anything.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by snowman
If you get the headers coated by a good supplier, the coatings will not peal off, inside or out.
I agree with this.
Quote:
Originally posted by snowman

Even so I think you were way to concerned over the flakes as they are so limited, even if they do come off, that they will not likely hurt anything.
But let's think about this.

Heat cured, ceramic material flaking off a header upstream and entering of a turbo impeller spinning in excess of 80,000rpm. Potential for damage? I believe so.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 10-21-2005 at 08:31 AM..
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Howdie guys, I'm over my anger now. Better life through chemistry (few shots of tequila ).

Antonio, no they cannot use a chemical process. I asked before they stripped it. They have to sand blast using alumnum oxide pellets. Sand will just disintigrate so not usefull.

Anyway, found some nice guy that is going to sell me a pair of used headers/exchangers along with a pair of Techart mufflers for under $1K. Still sucks tho...don't get me started.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: