Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking 20 dollar cam tool

I have had to tear down the 3.0 this last two weeks. My son noticed that the oil pressure was lower than normal. We changed the oil...ect no change. He drove the car one more day and it can home on a flat bed truck...We though we broke a valve spring. When we couldn't find that we pulled the engine...pulled all the valve covers, adjusted the valves and put the engine back in only to hear the same knocking sound....fast forward to this week, pull engine and start the tare down. I figured that is was a vavle we just couldn't see it...sorry no it wasn't...we spun a bearing. Number 5 cylinder has a bunch of little marks from something hitting the piston and the head. what i can't tell. which gets me to the reason for this post. the tools required to remove the two can nuts on an early car are just too much money to use two times. I f I had a shop it might be different. So I made my own tool and you can do it to. I'll see if the pictures I took will upload, if they don't here's what I did. In the early cars you need to have a 46mm wrench or crows foot tool to remove the nuts. both are expencive 89.00 and the wrench is over 100.00 bucks, so I found a 1 7/8 3/4 drive socket wrench at the hardware store just down the street. I took my dremmell tool and cut away a piece of the socket to allow me to incert an 18mm wrench to keep the cam from turning when you remove the nut. I spent about a hour working on the cutting of the slot. It needs to be big enough to get the nut to break...so it took a while. also the portion you leave should be as thick as the nut. You are basicly cutting a window in the socket. when I was done we put the socket on the nut and it fit good. If i was able to find a 46mmsocket it would have been perfect. the last step was to hook my impact gun to the socket, hold the wrench in the window on the flats of the cam and give it a try....WOW...two short blasts with the gun and the nut moved. perfect. then I used a socket wrench to get it the rest of the way. If you have time and a dremmel you can make one too...total price was 12.99 for the socket, 8.99 for the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. soo much easyer than I expected. Sorry for the poor pics. really cheap camera.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice Craig!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Just so I get the picture correct, while rotating the socket, does the relatively short open end wrench rest against an immovable stop or do you hold onto it? It held, wouldn't it tend to rotate with the socket (as much as the chain allows anyway)?

Thanks,
Sherwood
Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool. If you are able to get a breaker bar or pipe over the wrench and keep it stable, then it would eliminate any concern over the cam turning.

I did do a little research and found a company who could order me a single 46 mm crowsfoot for about $25. Just took a few emails to these tool companies on the web before one responded.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The 18mm wrench rests against one of the studs on the chain cover or you can hold it. You then position the window of the wrench as close as possible to the wrench with respect to the direction you plan to turn the socket. If it doesn't line up right , just turn the engine over by hand until the cam flats line up better. With the air gun there wasn't much back torque. The problem that I found when wanting to remove the nut the regular way was the amount of force needed to break the nut...if I had used a crow foot I was afraid of the wrench poping off and me busting a hand or worse. This was so simple. The most time was spent looking for the socket., the cutting took about 45 minutes. If you use a 1 7/8 like I did...it is less than 2mm bigger, so the nut has more than enough bite. I'll post a couple more pictures soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Craig,
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good idea.

Sherwood
Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Will a hex socket work or does it have to be star? Here's an option for a six sided socket:

http://store.yahoo.com/motostrano/46socducrear.htmlhttp://store.yahoo.com/motostrano/46socducrear.html

But it costs $40 so it may not provide savings... There's always Harbor Freight. I bet they have a 46mm socket.

1991 964 Targa
Old 10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm sure it might...looks very heavy duty and cost 3 times as much. Harbor freight only had a set of MM socket at around 59 dollars. Osh Hardware had some sockets but was out of the 17/8 size, their price was under 15 bucks. I got mine at a regular Do iT Best mom and pop hdwe store, ...they had two.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Web sight for stores is www.doitbest.com in search window insert this part number 309281. the on line price was 14.99. I think the 12 point would work better.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It makes sense that the 12 point should work better since it gives you the ability to make small adjustments. Sears also has a 12 pt 1 7/8 for $20.

1991 964 Targa
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

The cam nut doesn't need any fine adjustments. It's fully tight or fully loose; that's the objective. A six-point socket provides more contact area with the nut, thus I suggest using this type, especially since the 1 7/8" socket isn't equivalent to a 46mm socket (it's slightly larger).

Sherwood
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
$28 cam tool. Of course in 1978 when I bought it $28 was a lot of money for a socket.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 10-10-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-10-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Unregistered

LOL, good one Henry.
I've got one of those in my tool box but it cost alot more than $28.
One of these days it will go up on e-bay, but as soon as it does I will prolly need it again.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Do they make'm like that anymore???. As I mentioned in my post, if I did this for a living I would most likely buy a 46MM crow, I don't... and after seeing how easy removal was with an impact gun and my cam tool, I might not.

The reason you might want a 12 point is because it gives you more adjustments, one point left or right.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by speedkillz
...... and after seeing how easy removal was with an impact gun and my cam tool..........
IMPACT, OH NO !!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by speedkillz
The reason you might want a 12 point is because it gives you more adjustments, one point left or right.
MORE ADJUSTMENTS? I'M MISSING SOMETHING

Plus a thought:

How can you use a torque wrench with your tool ?
I know just impact it on
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 10-10-2005 at 03:23 PM..
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The 12 point made moving the socket one point clockwise/ counter clockwise easy... a 6 point moves the whole socket 1/6th of the nut . Like I had said...if you can find a 46MM socket wrench , cut the window, use an 18MM wrench to hold the cam and use a breaker bar if you want, that's perfect...I couldn't find the 46MM. Before I used the impact I tried the breaker bar. I only used the impact to break the nut loose. two very short hits and the nut moved about 1/2 inch, enough to make removal with regular tools. The wrench is 3/4 drive so a torque wrench will fit like any other socket. I don't intend to impact it on to torque spec. But I do thank you for the idea. Just kidding.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Since I've been doing some cam measurements over the last few days, I happened to have this tool out on the bench. I've used it for several years instead of the factory tool. It fits better and is more open for better visual and physical access to the cam. It was made from a Snap-On crow-foot, size 1 13/16. Very close to 46 mm. I had a friend to weld in the piece that bridges the gap in the crows foot to keep it from spreading open on those really tight cam nuts. I have no idea what the Snap-on tool cost, that was a while back. But I wanted something to last. The part that protrudes to hold the 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar just clears the inside of the chain case.

Here is a photo of the tool in use.

(73 911T (RS look) coupe)
(Misc. 911 Parts for Sale)
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Jim,
Thats the way a real mechanic does things. Beautiful.

But for removal, well an impacts the only way to go. Unless you have a tool like you made.

Last edited by snowman; 10-14-2005 at 08:56 PM..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

THe hands best friend, everyone who has ever wrenched on a car knows how bad you can hurt your self if your wrench slips...nice tool. Did you make your chain holder too? The whole idea to posting things like this is to get you to think of things that would work without spending $$$.... I love tools, just not 89 dollar wrenches.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Craig,

The cam holder I can't lay claim to building. It is the Porsche factory tool.

I thought I had a photo of this pair of tools in use taking off a stubborn cam nut, but I can't find it. For that pupose, these tools are supplemented by another set of home-made tools, a couple of pieces of 3/4" galvanized pipe. One piece fits over the end of the cam holder and reaches from there to the floor at about a 45 deg angle, off to the left. That is the cam holder. The other piece of pipe (about 3' long) fits over a 1/2" ratchet handle attached to the crow-foot. This makes pretty easy work of over-tight cam nuts.

I have never had consistent good luck with using an impact wrench in this application. There's not much mass in the cam itself, so you need to counterhold the cam with some sort of tool. Of course you could use the breaker-bar-on-the-cam-holder like I use for this purpose, but then you don't really need the impact wrench if you have another piece of 3/4" pipe. ;^]

(73 911T (RS look) coupe)
(Misc. 911 Parts for Sale)
Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: