Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rod/chain holder tools needed

Does anyone out there have the rod and chain holder tools that I could borrow or rent for a small fee? They look really easy to make based on Wayne's description in the book, but I only plan on using them once (at least for the foreseeable future), and it seems like a waste of time and metal.

Of course, I'll pay for shipping both ways unless someone in NE Ohio has them handy.

Thanks,

Dion
Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Dion when I did my rebuild I just cut up some stiff cardboard boxes in the shapes needed. Worked just fine.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Now that sounds like a much simpler idea! Thanks Kurt.

Dion
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

rubber bands work well for holding rods in place and I used a stainless steel flat sheet bent to fit in the chain housing to hold the chains in place

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 11-23-2005, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You don't really need them, I put my case together by holding the case half up, feeding the chain throught the passage and putting the sprocket on it to hold it up. The rods, if placed carefully will sit vertical until you gently place the case down.

Obviously this is the really cheep ass way of doing things and easier with two but works and saves time in finding or making the tools.

Keep posted for next weeks tip on torqueing the heads with a large broom handle and sticky tape!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What Mark said, but I had my son hold the chain.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Since my Son is 3 years old and easily distracted, that may not work for me very well.

Mark's method is how I have always put my FV engines together, but I've had enough experiences where the rod fell at the wrong time and made me a very unhappy person. I've always been in a hurry with those engines to 'make the next race'. This time, I have plenty of time to over-engineer the process.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dion
Old 11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: