Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Cam Timing - do I have it right?

Gents,
I've set the cam timing on my 3.0SC engine...Here's what I see:
1) Z1 at the top, aligned with case split.
2) Left cam "930" mark is UP (rocker is loose - I can wiggle it)
3) Right cam "930" mark is UP (rocker is tight - just beginning to go down.)
4) Distributor rotor is aligned with the mark - as if #1 was firing.

IF I ROTATE THE CRANK ONE FULL 360degree TURN:
a) Z1 is at the top, aligned with case split
b) Left cam "930" is at the BOTTOM(rocker is tight, valve just going down)
c) Right cam "930" is at the BOTTOM (rocker is loose and I can wiggle it)
d) Distributor is 180 degrees away from the #1 mark.

Question: does this sound "good to go" ?????????????

thanks
john
Old 02-25-2006, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It sounds as if you skipped the entire cam dial-in procedure which requires the use of a dial indicator. The procedure is described in detail in Wayne Dempsey's rebuild book. I'd recommend you buy the book and a dial indicator and follow the procedures to the letter.

There is also a description of the process at the following link but it's not as detailed as the book

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_engine_rebuild/911_engine_rebuild1.htm

Based on what you've described you may be out quite a bit on your cam timing....probably not enough to cause any interference contact in the cylinder but certainly out enough to adversely affect engine performance.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OK - Incomplete Post!

Motorhead: Thanks for the note: I did not describe all that I did - Actually, I DID do the entire step-by-step procedure from Waynes book (invaluable book) - but when I was all done, I could not find anything on "OK, now that you're done, here's how it should all look".
I did the timing (laborious process) on both cams - I'm "on the money" on all aspects of the valve lift at Z1, etc....

But- I've read too many posts where someone got one cam out by 180degrees, or has the distributor off by 180 degrees....so I'd like to make sure that before I button up the engine, that I'm not one of the 180 degree guys.

OK - knowing that, does the orientation of cams and distributor look correct ???

thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In that case, what you describes sounds exactly like what you should see. I personally have only done this once, but it's still fresh in my mind as it was only about 2 weeks ago. I also questioned the results at the time and went back and read and re-read the book about 10 times to confirm the procedure.

Hopefully we can get a few more folks to chime in here to confirm your procedure...many of these guys have done it dozens of times!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes, that's sounds great.

When you are all done, the cams will not be perfectly vertical - the "930" might be at 1 o'clock for example.

As a sanity check, the "up" indicator of whatever cam you are using (the "930" in your case) should be off from vertical the same amount and direction on both sides - both at 1 o'clock for instance.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
John you're close to IT. Let us know you break er in ard.

Chris:

Too much to ask ya post a video?

Regards,

ps ok, for me it is time to think about Monday. It is going to be a great guys!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: