LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back to daily driving

Garage
Unhappy Houston, we have a problem

Hey everyone.

I come to you with a heavy heart.

I have my car's motor out to fix some oil leaks, change the clutch, rebuild the carbs, and install tensioner guards. After days of cleaning, rebuilding carbs, dealing with troublesome fuel systems, setting valves, finding a very bad chain issue, and general good progress, I found the last nail in the coffin of this motor.

In a desperate last ditch effort to save this motor I ask: (already knowing the answer) Can I change the intermediate shaft without splitting the case?

Yes, I did notice that the intermediate shaft bearing is all hosed up too.

Just for the sake of completeness, here's the chain issue I found:

Yes, that is a very slack port side chain. Yes, those are mechanical tensioners. I suspect they are the cause of all my trouble in the first place.

This is heartbreaking because this motor has good compression, it ran when I pulled it out, I just put about $2k into parts, and in the end I don't have anything to show for it except for a porsche coffee table that shouldn't leak oil.

Are there any Pelicans in the greater Houston area, or just about anywhere in Eastern TX, who have an old 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 longblock sitting around gathering dust? If you do, I'd love to hear from you.

Here's the car that this engine came out of:

Thanks to all for any help you can render.

-Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dan

Shoot me a PM with your email.

Maybe I can help
Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might be able to get away with removing the circlip on the pump shaft, sliding it all the way down, cutting it and removing it. Installation would make use of the extra room on the splines without the circlip installed.

But the buggered intermediate shaft bearing is the killer. Time to split the case and send it out to be welded up and machined to take modern intermediate shaft bearings.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
I have two 2.2 T long blocks in varying degrees of condition available.
Give me a call.

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you need help with a tear down I'd be happy to lend a hand. I'm in Montgomery. I just did my 3.0 and it was fun and not that difficult.

Lindy
Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back to daily driving

Garage
Decision

This stinks. I don't have either the time or money to fix this. A dusty old longblock would have been great, but enough wise people have told me that it's a bad idea.

New plan: Throw the car on a U-Haul trailer (not a dolly) and drag it home to Virginia. Rebuild as time and money allow.

Thanks for your support and help.

Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
We would of course offer a warranty with any engine we sold.
Bad idea is really defined by budget and your desire to drive your car.
Good luck with your project.
Cheers
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Dan,

I have dealt with Henry on more than one occasion. If he tells you a long block is in good shape, it's probably perfect. If he is willing to offer you a warranty for the long block how can you go wrong? Anyway, offer still stands, if you would like some help holler.

Lindy
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel911T View Post
Are there any Pelicans in the greater Houston area, or just about anywhere in Eastern TX, who have an old 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 longblock sitting around gathering dust? If you do, I'd love to hear from you.
Dan, that is a nice looking T! Don't despair, you'll get it back on the road one way or another.

I have a '72 longblock, the last of the carbureted cars, sitting on a dolly on my shop floor. I haven't done a thing with it and likely won't (I'm rebuilding a different motor for my '66). It would need a heck of a lot of work to get it running again, but maybe using the bottom end of mine and the remainder of yours you would end up with a good runner.

PM or email me if you think that might help. I'm here in Houston. And also, coincidentally, I'm ex-Oregon too, how 'bout that?

Best, Vito
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back to daily driving

Garage
Pm'd vito. It would be nice if that motor could work for me

-Dan
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Dan,
I'm in Manassas and a veteran of exactly one rebuild. But I am willing to help and I have some of the spacial tools you need such as the Z-block and two dial indicators for cam timing. Let's crack the case and then drink a few beers...

Mark
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: