Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
apprentice restorator

good rebuilder for tranny and engine in SF area?

Hi all

I am looking around to get a good soul to do a rebuild of tranny and engine for my little baby.

I've 170K+ on both engine and tranny (assuming that in a uncertain point in time the car was serviced, at least for the first 2 gears i hope...or who drove it before me must have been a god shifter ); they still works fine but i feel like they could leave me and go in the german paradise...so better safe than sorry right? (feel free to tell me dummy if is ok to wait LOL)

So....next question is....any good and honest and reliable guy that does rebuilding in the bay area or around SF? (not overhaul...i do not need the engine back to factory state as new....same for the tranny...all that i want is to have a reliable car that has new parts where it is needed).

I've heard horror stories about X or Y ( no worries, i will not mention the double letter that we all love ); so before spending 20K to unecessarly rebuild my car engne and tranny, or give to a monster with no experience my baby to play with it, i prefer to ask

My budget for both is about 5-6K....i know that is not enough, but i just need to have the engine in working conditions, so it can run for 100K or more before another rebuild.

Any suggestions please?

BTW i have really poor mechanical skills, so doing it on my own is not an option (same for the time available....if they charge 100 bucks an hour to work on my car, i am still making enough to cover them instead of using my time :P)

Thanks !!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
darshie76: check out Tom Amon / Mobile Works West / 408-429-0545. He built my engine & he's a cool guy.

Steve

73 911T MFI Coupe, Aubergine
Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

check out Bob at RMG in Sunnyvale
RMG Enterprises - Home
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rebuild

Jerry Woods if you have the coin. Super nice guys and really the best.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
apprentice restorator

Thanks Guys!

I guess that Daniel's suggestion gotta be skipped since seems that it requires a lot of coins....I have some spare but not that many

I will probably start with Tom, and check also Bob; they are both close, and seems that they both have good history on this board

Will keep you updated about how it goes!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
What is going on that makes you think rebuild right now?? How is your oil pressure? Oil usage? Any exhaust smoke? Leaking much oil? How often do you need to add oil?

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

apprentice restorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc4s View Post
What is going on that makes you think rebuild right now?? How is your oil pressure? Oil usage? Any exhaust smoke? Leaking much oil? How often do you need to add oil?
Well; the transmission is giving me pain while shifting....is a 50/50 chance that i gotta lift the clutch, press the pedal again and try to engage the gear....it is taking away all the fun from driving, so i guess that is time for a rebuild.

The engine is fine, smokes a bit and has some moments when you feel like loosing power, but nothing major; it has some seals that are leaking, but my garage floor does not have the pond, so it is not that bad. It puffs white smoke when it starts, but it does not last too long; and as far as goes with the oil, the average is a third of a quart bottle of oil every couple of months; so is not burning too much oil.

The main thing is that the car is old, and i prefer to do a rebuild (or should i say "let's open it and see what needs to be cleaned and changed inside"), instead than waiting that maybe something cracks and i need to change the whole engine I was told that these pups are the most reliable ones, and can go on up to 200-300K without problems, and mine is close to the 200K limit, so just to be safe I am planning a rebuild.

Many of you has time to do it on their own, so you don't necessarily do all the work at once, but for me, i prefer to go in once and forget about it for another 200K

Am i wrong?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a clutch problem to me.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
apprentice restorator

Replaced that; it didn't helped....going for a tranny work i guess
Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Talk to don at EBS in reno he has a guy that does great tranny work. Ill be happy to transport it for you as I make the drive almost every week
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-25-2010, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: