Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cleaned up 2.2 t engine whats it worth ?

So I have an engine that I have been playing with mostly just doing clean up work on and learning more about Porsche engines I currently am rebuilding the other carb so it is not on the engine.. Case is a an unstamped case carb's are freshly rebuilt and a very solid I am going to do a leakdown test but the engine rotate's very nicley was pulled from a low mileage wreck.. THe last photos are the most recent taken today some of the photos where taken as I was cleaning it up before cleaning..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Can you add a bit more info? You seem to be doing a remarkable job cleaning but the worth is in the internal condition. Those leak down numbers would certainly help. Even with all your work, you can't expect much more than core value until you can give someone a reason to pay more.

BTW, what are you doing for coatings? For instance, are the renovated black parts powder coated or painted?
04 Kaw KLR-650
10' Madone 5.2
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They are just painted but my company does high performance coating's dispersants and barrier coatings ect... I prepped all parts like they where going to be coated but just used duplicolor engine paint and baked on.. what is the core value ? I may put it on the dyno just to tune in the carbs ..

Example of some of the coatings I do..

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Anyone ?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Whats the core cost ?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
For a complete (air cleaner through exhaust including ignition components) 2.2L 'T' engine with Zenith carbs in 'clean but unknown condition' I would value at $1500-$1800. If this were a 2.4L MFI engine it would be worth maybe $2k more because the MFI system and the larger displacement are worth significantly more. A core 2.2L 'T' long-block (without carbs, exhaust and fan/shroud) might be $1000-$1200.
If you knew that the case wasn't leaking oil, compression and leak-down were good/even and it was able to be run, you could bring that number up closer to $2000-$2400. Assuming that the carb re-build was to OE specs, they will need to be tuned, etc. In some cases the painting of components hinders an assessment of condition making it hard to put a value on things. I'm not saying refinish detracts from value, in many cases it can add to it. But it is harder to make a judgement on internal condition if it is wearing fancy clothes. For all we know it has been sitting outside and was full of water for years. You state it turns over easily so that probably isn't the case, but dry storage is often evident by surface condition of the exterior which you've refinished.

Where are you located? That might help with value as local folks may pay a small premium if they don't need to ship it since freight will be ~$150.

Has the serial number been removed from the case or was it truly never stamped from Porsche?
2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I bought the engine from a long time jerry woods customer and Friend several shops have vouched for the seller. Engine was pulled
From a wreck and was sitting
In a shop up on a rack when i got it. The engine is a original non numbered case from porsche. I was thinking about getting a zalex stand to fire it up on. Only
Reason i may sell it cause i found a 2.7s with webers for a decent price. This
Engine was for my 914 engine swap..

Engine is located in california
Bay area

Last edited by Wheelsonly; 12-28-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I recently purchased a complete 2.7 hot rod engine for my '71T and as a result tried to sell my existing 2.2 with Weber carbs. Mine was an non-serial numbered factory replacement case as well. This engine dyno'd at 138RWHP prior to removal. This engine was in need of some rebuild work, due to light smoking on deceleration. I tried selling it as a complete unit, but had no luck. I then tore it down and parted it out. After the tear down I found out the smoking was due to worn valve guides.

I've sold all of the external bits and the case and crankshaft. It turns out that it was worth more in pieces than a complete unit.

I know you've put a bunch of time cleaning yours up, but you might have more luck parting it out, so others can use the pieces to keep their Porsches running.
911S member #1615 - Pelican ID: m1franck
Follow my restomodration currently underway:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/774854-resurrecting-pearl-tale-restomodration.html

Last edited by m1franck; 12-28-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=m1franck;5751049]I recently purchased a complete 2.7 hot rod engine for my '71T and ......QUOTE]

And a fine engine it is.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
JP, This is going to be the longest winter of my life, waiting for the dry, warmer days of spring, when I can finally drive the 911T with it's new 2.7 power plant!!!
911S member #1615 - Pelican ID: m1franck
Follow my restomodration currently underway:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/774854-resurrecting-pearl-tale-restomodration.html
Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: