Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Please info on Engine break-in with rebuild Webers

Hello engine rebuilding guru's and other*enthusiasts!
Short introduction:
For hobby and my great love and interest for classic 911's I started 13 years ago with*the restoration of a 911T from '69.
I bought this car as a running restoration project. Full history, matching numbers, I am third owner. I also found his first owner, who had this car for the first 21 years, by an address on an envelope with 21 years of receipts ;-)
I am still*have email contact with him to keep him updated.
I did as much as possible myself including welding, sheet metal and lead leading etc. it is a hobby ;-))
The car is just back from a great paint job in bright ivory. Gaps are perfect.
Anyway, now I finished the interior I started with my 'made in Italy' Webers (IDTP's).
Surfing the web, I ran into*quit some info including Paul Abbott's*great site Performance Oriented!
Because I did almost all myself, I would like to the Webers myself too.
Lot of stories are on float heights and I (think ;-) see why (activating the main circuit at the correct and same time).
My problem / concern*is this;
After restoration of my engine I should break the engine in for 20 min @ 3000 revs (Info*from Wayne's 911-engine book) as This is the ideal speed for new mating surfaces to run in correctly.
After mailing with Paul Abbott I realize that 3000 revs on a non-loaded engine will (probably not activate the main jet.
Is there a problem, beside float height, to rev the engine to this 3000 revs? Could throttle valve opening position (Same position) be an issue?
My biggest concern is to start the engine and there is no time tuning/tweek carbs.....
Any advice/suggestion on how to start up / break in*freshly rebuild engine with*rebuild carbs*
Every advice is more the welcome!
Thanks,
Bart
Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bart,

The reason for running a new engine at 3K for 15-20 minutes is to break in cams & rocker arms. This assures a high volume of oil at a critical time in these component's lives.

Carburetor issues play no role here.

Get the float levels spot-on after making sure you have 3.5 psi of fuel pressure, do a rough side-to-side sync as well as making sure you have full throttle on both carbs at the same time, then go out and seat the rings.

After all that is done and the oil/filter is changed, then you can do all the final jetting and adjustments.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Please info on Engine break-in with rebuild Webers

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding!
Paul Abbott mentioned you as one off the persons who could help me on ;-))

So main point on revving @ 300rpm is getting plenty of oil to cams and rockers and not pston rings and main bearings!?
Running bit rough because of carbs won't be big issue then, that's for later.

do a rough side-to-side sync as well as making sure you have full throttle on both carbs at the same time

Should side to side sync and and full throttle as you mentioned be done on the freshly started engine or can I do that visual?

Thanks,
Bart
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Carbs

Bart, one other issue is the IDTP carbs and their inherent lean idle circuit and throttle plate angle, I have been dealing with a set here on a fresh 2.2 E/S build for the street, with Paul Abbott's help and info we have got it much better. My point is that you might want to have him correct those issues before you pull your hair out trying to tune them. Paul is truly a Gem !

Mike Bruns JBRacing.com
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I like to use the Synchrometer to make use all six intakes are balanced.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: