Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Suggestions on Hot SC motor build

Hello Gang,

I am in the process of building a hot SC motor for track use. I was wondering what some of the suggestions and results people have gotten. The car will be switched to PMOs, will only run 100 octane and will be twin plugged. I am looking for a good CR/Cam/Valve size combo. The end result I am looking for is to push the power band up to the midrange and a very aggressive upper band. Thinking maybe a GE series cam and CR of 9:5:1 as a start.Machine work will include shuffle pin, full balance and Boat Tail the mains along with notching the skirts.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

300hp @ the crank

98mm cylinders
10.5:1 pistons
Mod-s cams
46 pmo
Twin plug
3.2 heads (stock)
ARP bolts
Headers

Todd
Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might consider this build.

Another RSR Clone Project - Dyno Day

Has been running great for 10 years now.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
With twin plugs you can go 10.5 to 1 CR or higher with race gas. As far as cams go, it depends on how high you expect to rev the motor, and will the bottom end handle that RPM. Doubt you will need any larger valves than What SCs came with, unless you are going really wild.

There are a ton of threads on hot rodding SC motors. Spend some time searching.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I will have Carrillos in it and it will be shuffle pinned as well. I will have everything balanced as well. I want to have good power up to 7-7500 and shooting for over 300 FWHP. The question is the cam and valve combo at this point. I had run a RSR cam/ larger valves in a car a built years ago and it put down 300 FWHP and looking for something a little more than that this time around. I know cam designs have changed since then. I tried searching but can't find anything that overlays the exact path I am looking for.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Give John Dougherty, Camgrinder on this board, a call or PM. He will work with you.
Dougherty Racing Cams
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-26-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Camshafts and compression ratio should be matched. Along with carburetor sizes. for example, the DC60 works with 46mm carbs and 10.5-1 compression. The old 3.0 RSR cam might make the same peak HP, but would have less mid range torque. A smaller 40mm carb would come on the power band sooner, but fall off early.

If you post a list of information like this I can give you some options,
Camshaft Request Form for Porsche 911
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: