Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dropped Cheesehead Screw into Spark Plug Hole

I recently decided to switch from zeniths to webers. Since I was going to have the carbs off, I decided to change my alternator. All went well and no major problems until when I was almost done, I found that I had dropped a cheesehead screw into the #6 spark plug hole. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because there was a spark plug installed however the cheesehead screw wedge between the spark plug and a fin. I had a nice borescope so I was able to view everything. I tried grabbing with a magnet- wouldn't budge. I tried to get it to move with the tip of a screwdriver- wouldn't budge. I had an old spark plug socket that I cut one third of the circumference off so I could see if I could turn the spark plug a little (the part I cut off would fit over the screw and the remaining part of the socket would be able to reach down to the socket hex). No luck. I probably could have gotten it to move a bit if I put some muscle into it however of coarse I didn't try that.

Any ideas on how to get this bastard out?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think I see the screw in that pic.
Maybe a telescoping mechanics magnet stuck to the screw and a long slim dental pick tool reached down in there to wiggle the screw while pulling on it with the magnet would eventually get it out.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The above stuff, but also add some cold to it somehow. Freeze everything; might shrink the parts enough for the bugger to dislodge. Try the clean air canisters for electronics and blast away. Of course, if you could get some liquid nitrogen...good luck.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Have you removed the valve cover to get better access?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Why not break the insulator off the spark plug?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with WERK I, break the top off the spark plug and then grab the screw and vacuum all of the crap out before you then change out the broken plug with a new one.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I wasn't quite sure how to safely break off the insulator so (as suggested in the various posts) I removed the valve cover for better access, sprayed with liquid nitrogen, the I was able to dislodge it with alligator forceps (with scope guidance) then pick it up with a magnet. Spent two hours on this last night. With everyone's help I waa able to safely remove it in about 15 minutes today!

Thank you for everyone's help!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Congrats. To break off the insulator is quite easy because they are relatively fragile at the insulator. Take a deep-well socket that just fits over the insulator portion of the spark plug. Put and extension on the socket and apply a little leverage to the extension. Snap! Broke.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Glad to hear you got this handled.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: