Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help identifying Pistons?

Hey all,
I have what we are told is a 3.0 motor
I have pulled the heads off and the pistons do not look like any reference pictures I can find.

head numbers 930.104.328.3R
cam number drivers side 930.105.147.9R

Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

pulled out one of them.
I am going to guess JE just because that seems to be the most popular.
there are no numbers on it anywhere

Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

still trying to figure this out
Thanks in advance
Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

they look like JE pistons. those grooves on the top areContact reduction grooves. Contact Reduction Grooves: The
purpose of machining these grooves is
to reduce the amount of contact area
against the cylinder wall when the piston
“rocks over”. Contact reduction also
serves to disrupt the flame travel into
the crevice area thus helping to reduce
detonation.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Ken.
I am taking the top end off this motor for a re-ring and am debating what to do.
They are 95mm. Engine is a 3.0 as are the heads but the heads are the small ports.
We have 46 pmo's so I was thinking of just getting the heads opened up a bit and valve job but leaving the rest as is.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Your welcome they should have a build number laser etched on the bottom. Yeah I spent uber money on my heads but it's turbo with plans for a LOT of horse power.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have looked for markings and have not been able to find any. I thought I read on JE site somewhere that prior to 2004 they didn't mark them.
I was mainly trying to figure out what compression rating they were with out having to CC everything out
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

you can probably just measure the dome height and they should be able to tell you.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-02-2016, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

good plan I will give them a call in a bit and report back
Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

well thats interesting...the dome height on this piston is .348 and JE said their 9.5 ratio piston is .400 so this was either a custom or not from them
Old 11-02-2016, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Those grooves i meantioned earlier are on thier custom pistons.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-03-2016, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That is interesting. I wonder if they are just a really old set.
If so it was before they cast their JE logo in them.
When I spoke to them yesterday they said they will omit the logos on request but only 1% of customers opt for that.

My guess is they are from someone else and probably that someone orders sets at a time in their custom profile.

Just a quick google search for Contact Reduction Grooves and CP comes up first. didnt even think of them
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I would suggest measuring the combustion chamber volume and the piston dome volume with a burette in order to determine your compression ratio. Even if you did have the specs from the piston maker, you can't be sure the head volume is spot on at 90cc (common number used for these heads)
Old 11-04-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Post a photo of the wrist pin clips. That might help to ID the piston.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Agreed KTL, I will be doing that when the motor is back together.

how do these mains look to you guys?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Those main bearings look quite good but hard to say without a closeup of each. The #1 thrust bearing on the left looks like it shows some "polishing" but that's not all that uncommon. I'm told it's a sign of slight misalignment of the bores. On an aluminum case it's not as concerning and i'd tend to think an align bore isn't needed. The magnesium cases are the one that get all out of whack and need an align bore of the mains to get them all in-line.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.
Case, rods, crank, oil pump, inter shaft, and heads are at the machine shop getting worked.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
These are my JEs. 9.5 to 1 cr. Purchased a couple of months ago.
The pistons in this post looks on the top like the Mahles from a 2,7 RS with 8.5 to 1 cr.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 11-09-2016 at 08:34 AM..
Old 11-08-2016, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The pistons look more like an assymetric design and some idea of the pin offset would be interesting.

I think most Mahle pistons have a pin offset even if they are used the wrong way round on one side of the engine.

Mahle have, I believe, recently introduced assymetric pistons for the 997 and JE are doing something similar.

If they were Mahle they should have some forging numbers inside the crown.

They also look similar to RSR pistons.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hey Chris I have looked over these pistons completely and have not found a single stamp, number, or any other sort of marking on them.
I can measure and post numbers tomorrow to see if that helps.
Took the cyls to the machinist and he said they are KS Alusils that have been lined and nickasiled

I must say it would be nice to get these ID'ed for myself and future people that may find some under their heads

Last edited by crashtest22; 11-09-2016 at 06:28 PM..
Old 11-09-2016, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: