Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Counterclockwise?

Wow. This will not be an everyday engine they are building for you Jeff.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
It has definitely evolved into something pretty special. I can't wait to start putting it all together.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
This may appear to be, but we are trying to do certain upgrades that can be done by anyone rebuilding these engines. The first time, (this time) always looks a lot more custom.

All parts we are doing for Jeff will be available to all. Nothing will cost more than what is already available, I think?? Until we get everything in hand we cannot be certain however. But it is the intention to offer something comparable cost wise but more modern.

Much of the work we have completed was bringing the parts back to health, not any customizing. The case work is all typical except for the through dowels. These we have decided to use the through bolt holes and keep the extra rigidity closer to the housing bore. There are a few oil galley holes we have to consider but these are very small as they feed the Piston oiling valves only. This is a minor consideration.

The crank is stock and no lightening or counterweight "knife edging" will be done. This is something that should never be done to these cranks.

The Oil pump is getting new scavenge gears that be more efficient as well as help with oil cooling. These will be available to all and will only require swapping out the stock spur gears.

The rods have been stretched by an offset pin bushing. The pin size has dropped down to something more realistic for a 200 - 275 HP engine allowing this to happen. This is a mod than any stock rod can have done without buying aftermarket rods. The rods will be top guided to help keep the Pistons straighter in the cylinders.

The Pistons are new to suit the stretched rods and these will sell for approx the same as stock replacements. The intention is to change the design and make them more modern using a stiffer forging. The top guided rod will allow a thinner ring pack and a little less tension.

Cylinder Heads are stock basically. We did open up the ports only to match the Intake manifolds Jeff will use and the Exhaust he has repaired. The seat shapes are new and we have done quite a bit of work on them.

Most Porsche heads will have new guides fitted over their lifetime. The problem with fitting new guides to these heads is holding the concentrically with the existing seat. The hemi chamber is the biggest cause here. The guides never go in perfectly concentric. The seats often have already being cut. Now you have to re cut the seat angles even lower to obtain the seats concentric to the new Guides. This is why you see the chambers cut as well to obtain some sort of top angle transition to the chamber. There really is no way around this other than new seats which cost way more to do. So we have designed a new seat shape that lowers the amount the seats have to be cut and how much the chambers have to be cut when doing this work. The added benefit was some increase in flow as well especially at low lifts. The cost to do this is no more than the std seat work.

Valve are all stock. Springs are new but more attention is being had on the set up. Most of the heads we have ever seen here are well over sprung and HP is lost in just turning the engine round and round. Top Retainers will remain steel as Titanium or Aluminium Retainers should never be used in any engine unless it comes apart on a regular basis.

Camshafts are new but the cost to regrind will be the same.

The rest is new and will be available to all if wanted. Jeff has decided to go EFI, so we will put together a simple kit for him made up of parts we consider to be equal to the task. We will not be creating a system that is capable to going to the moon and back. That's not the idea. If it gives others an idea of what is OK and clears up any confusion, then we have successfully done what we set out to do. There are many really good choices to be had, this will be what we consider to be one of them.

Hope this clears up what we are trying to do here.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Pelican has EFI adapters if you want to use MFI stacks.

Yes, I make these and sell through our hose.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
Pelican has EFI adapters if you want to use MFI stacks.
I already have TWM ITB's for the engine.

http://youtube.com/homebuiltbyjeff
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/889676-home-built-hot-rod.html#post8868732
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Then you are good to go. I have used them on many builds. They work well.

A word of advice. The TWM/Borla ITBs have a hokey (IMO) vacuum port that connects the throats with a single, large output. You will not get a good MAP reading from this port. You will need to close this port internal to the ITB with epoxy (finish appropriately) and add additional vacuum lines below the throttle - one to each throat. I usually install hose barbs in the manifolds then bring 6 throats into a vacuum manifold before going to the ECU/MAP sensor. You will have a much more stable vacuum signal - especially at lower rpms where cam reversion can wreak havoc with your sensor and idle quality.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

That sounds like a good tip and makes sense. I will look into that.

http://youtube.com/homebuiltbyjeff
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/889676-home-built-hot-rod.html#post8868732
Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: