Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE 69 S View Post
What are you going to do about heater boxes and exhaust? Pretty sure 914-6 heater boxes and exhaust are very rare and hard to find. Any ideas?
Bob B
I make these for just this situation

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Yup, and the post right before yours explained that I'm not running heater boxes.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimusglen View Post
Yup, and the post right before yours explained that I'm not running heater boxes.
Yup I know that just sharing with others..

Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Hi- Nice project and work done thus far. You will love the sweet sound of the six. Given your location, I am curious about your choice to not run heat. I would imagine the defroster alone would be worth it. Or are you just going for headers to maximize the HP from the motor?
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo94507 View Post
Hi- Nice project and work done thus far. You will love the sweet sound of the six. Given your location, I am curious about your choice to not run heat. I would imagine the defroster alone would be worth it. Or are you just going for headers to maximize the HP from the motor?

I suppose one could do headers and then possibly build heat exchangers around them later.. My last 6 I had just had headers and didn't need heat for when I drove it. That was about 16 years ago. I am much bigger of a whimp now and can't handle cold like I use to..

Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Glen so back on topic what did you decide to do with the case?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

MN uses a lot of salt on the roads. I wont be driving it in the winter, and in spring I always wait until it rains a few times to clear the roads. In the fall, on nippy days, I'll wear a light coat.

My previous fun vehicle was a motorcycle (well, still have it but don't ride it) and this will get about the same use, same temps. Windows always open.

Apart from not feeling that I need heat, I also enjoy the simplicity when these things are stripped down to the essentials.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
MN uses a lot of salt on the roads. I wont be driving it in the winter, and in spring I always wait until it rains a few times to clear the roads. In the fall, on nippy days, I'll wear a light coat.

My previous fun vehicle was a motorcycle (well, still have it but don't ride it) and this will get about the same use, same temps. Windows always open.

Apart from not feeling that I need heat, I also enjoy the simplicity when these things are stripped down to the essentials.

That is a huge point.. Way to much salt used in the midwest.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
Glen so back on topic what did you decide to do with the case?
Based on my other thread about the bearings, and from talking it through with Aaron who has spent more time wrenching on these than I have spent wrenching on anything, I do have a plan for the case.

Before I get into that, I should note that I've recently had a pretty major reduction of my fun car fund. My sister in-law who has been our childcare, will be moving to Maine in two weeks. This means that cash I had set aside for this build will now mostly be diverted to babysitters :/

For that reason and others, I've decided to just do a stock rebuild on this 2.2. No hotter cam, no higher compression or displacement. Since everything is is really good shape on this engine it makes the new plan pretty easy to agree to. Sure it'll only have 125hp, but that's still a bunch more than the 4-cyl. And the 6 sounds so much nicer than the sewing machine idle 4-cyl. This is a street driven, fair weather cruiser. No race days.

Now, onto the case. Wait, not yet. I got my new micrometers in and have been measuring things. Crank measurements I had taken before have been verified. Crank is well within spec so I ordered a set of Glyco main bearings. Bunch of threads on here had me a little paranoid about out of spec bearings but measuring them up will set my mind at ease.

Really now, to the case. Since bearing wear was pretty even and nothing really scary inside, I'll be bolting it together with the crank and new bearings then checking for interference or binding. If that checks out I'll plasti-gauge as well as check the bearing bores as-assembled to measure the bearing clearances. If those all check out I'll clean it all up and slap it all back together.

I may throw the case halves on the end mill to even out the cylinder base surfaces, but they, and the case parting line surfaces, all look pretty straight when resting my Brown&Sharpe straight edge on there.

So, I'm sure a lot will shake their heads. That's fine. It's my own car/engine and if it goes pear shaped I'll only blame myself. Aaron made it clear that he would never-ever-ever do it on a customer car, but for a low power 2.2, that was bought as a core, I could do it.

Last edited by Optimusglen; 08-22-2017 at 07:21 AM..
Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Your right on about the 6cyl sound. It will be well worth it.. And I agree if it all checks out you should be good to go. I wish my core would have been as solid as yours. The bearing thing has me concerned as well. I had everything machined and now have to decide if I need to remeasure everything.. Probably wait until winter to build my engine..

Understand the babysitter thing that surely is expensive..I Have 5 kids..

Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Understand the babysitter thing that surely is expensive..I Have 5 kids..
I can't even imagine this times 5, haha.

Priced out daycare centers. Crazy that these things cost 1200-1300/month. When we were married in 2009 our apartment and grocery bill together cost less than that.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't even imagine this times 5, haha.

Priced out daycare centers. Crazy that these things cost 1200-1300/month. When we were married in 2009 our apartment and grocery bill together cost less than that.

I hear you.. My 3 oldest are 13,15,17 and eat like horses and then we adopted a 1 year-old and do foster care in hopes of adopting almost 3 year old.. Most expensive time of my life for sure

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

very cool, we were planning to do foster care until our little one surprised us, now we're going to wait until she is a bit older. Good on you.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
very cool, we were planning to do foster care until our little one surprised us, now we're going to wait until she is a bit older. Good on you.

We have done it for about 5 years.. If you ever want to talk about the ins and outs of that in the future feel free. Happy to tell you about some of the pitfalls.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
We have done it for about 5 years.. If you ever want to talk about the ins and outs of that in the future feel free. Happy to tell you about some of the pitfalls.
For sure. I was a foster kid, so from that perspective I've seen a lot. From the other side I'm sure it's far different. That's part of why we wanted to do it though. I was in 7 different homes in my childhood and saw first hand how a positive home could effect a kids life. I owe a lot to the last home I was in and we want to give back. One stipulation though is that we don't have kids older than our baby, so we need to wait a bit.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
For sure. I was a foster kid, so from that perspective I've seen a lot. From the other side I'm sure it's far different. That's part of why we wanted to do it though. I was in 7 different homes in my childhood and saw first hand how a positive home could effect a kids life. I owe a lot to the last home I was in and we want to give back. One stipulation though is that we don't have kids older than our baby, so we need to wait a bit.

Our biggest challenge is trying to keep the one little girl that we have had since she was about 2 months old she is almost 3 now..

I am very happy that you had a positive experience as we have tried very hard to be that positive rock..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Little slowing of the 2.2 rebuild, so I was able to work on it's digital counterpart.

3D model work done in Creo, rendered in Keyshot. Few goals for this, first I'll be making some exploded view posters. Also I will be doing a scale 3D print of the components and maybe offering them as a kit. This isn't a for sale thread though, so I'll stick with the first teaser picture.

A few parts done, lots to go.

Accuracy is good enough for a really nice desktop model, nothing you'd want to CNC parts from though.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Very cool.. I want one

Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Impressive work. How did you dimension the parts? Laser scan?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Impressive work. How did you dimension the parts? Laser scan?
No laser scanning here, it's all parametric work, so each part is a combination of hundreds of extrudes, rounds, drafts, etc. Created in the same way a large scale manufacturer would create models for CNC. Each part is broken down into features where I measure the real part feature and create it's digital replica.

It's a bit more complex too, in that I use surface modeling for the most part, and then solidify the part at the end. And on top of that, the surface model work is done in what they call a master model that contains all the parts, individual solid parts are separate files as-is the assembly model.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: