Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I know it's a little off topic, but figured nobody would mind if I posted progress on the 3D model version as well.

Little progress today, continuing with the easier stuff. I also started the cam carrier for cylinders 1/2/3 but that's in it's infancy so no pics.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

a little more progress, got a lot more done on the cam housings, lots of features... These aren't 100%, nearly impossible to get that with all of the internal stuff, but it's a representation anyway.

More to go.

In the actual engine build. i'm still collecting parts and cleaning cleaning cleaning.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Administrator

I rebuilt the exact same motor in my '70 911T. In my case the engine needed new p/c's and cams due to wear. I went with a Solex-style cam and S p/c's (9.8:1 compression). Also did all the reliability upgrades: case timecerted, piston squirters (you have to with the all-aluminum S p/c's, optional with a stock T), 911SC oil pump, wider idler arms, and 930 chain tensioners (you don't need hydraulic if you update the idler arms).

2.2's are really expensive to rebuild because they basically need everything. But it's a fun motor.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
I've been following your artwork on instagram and your motor build on Pelican but didn't put two and two together until you cross posted your CAD models. I'm in a similar situation; I bought Wayne's book and am going to tackle a 3.0sc rebuild with the idea that it's better to do it yourself and learn a little on the way, even if it's not the safest path. Anyway, all the best on your projects!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck with your build - love the CAD renderings! I hope to get my 3L rebuild running in the next few weeks.
1989 BMW M3
2007 328iT
Old 09-07-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Update time, been holding off on moving too far forward until I get a chance to 3D model the case, but I did get something done.

Swung down to a friends shop and stuck it in a big parts washer he has.

The inside is pretty clean so I stuck the two case halves in lightly bolted together.

Pic is a bit blurry, thanks potato phone, but it's mostly cleaned up now.

I'm going to go over in by hand and clean a bit more, but now it's ready for more inspection and for me to model it.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: