Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Call 911

Garage
Friend Gives Me a 911 Engine!

A close friend recently gave me this lovely Porsche 2 liter 911 engine kit as a present. I didn’t keep track of my time, but estimate there’s about 6 - 7 hours in putting it together. It is a very nicely made kit – no glue required as everything screws together. Plastic is high grade with thick walls and good detail.

The model does deviate some from the real 911 engine as simplification is necessary in making a quarter-scale replica. A few revisions are;

• Crankcase splits horizontally
• Cylinders are cast in pairs of 3
• Heads are cast in pairs of 3
• Cams are driven by toothed belts
• Distributor drives off of crankshaft via 2:1 bevel gears
• Crankshaft supported in 2 main bearings

None of these changes detract from the model – it is beautiful in all respects and definitely shows the mechanical layout and uniqueness of the 911 engine design. It is driven by an electric motor (batteries concealed in the display base) and motion of pistons, rods and valve gear are all accurately displayed. Even the spark plugs, which in this model are red LED lights, fire at the appropriate time.

A couple of minor problems cropped up that required some attention during the build. My crank was slightly bent (that’s what she said) possibly due to warpage after molding. This was easily corrected using a heat gun on low setting and applying gentle force to straighten. Also had a problem with the cams and rockers binding a bit when assembled…this was remedied by filing off around .020” from the cams and rockers on cylinders 3 and 6.

I highly recommend this kit to all 911 engine guys. Our host sells these for a tad under $200. It nicely displays the driving force behind the cars that we love.

My Porsche restoreth my soul.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Dave - thanks for sharing and glad to hear that you're happy with it. As soon as we saw it, we knew that this would be a popular item because of the quality and detail.

For anyone else interested in one, check them out here.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Grand Am/IMSA Data Guy

Garage
Wow, looks very nice. Dmitry, your link was one page off.
1966 911 Flat-Six 1/4 Scale Engine Model - PelicanParts.com
Morris Minor Van with S2000 running gear (project)
http://austinmotorsportsllc.com/
Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I picked 1 up, a little Xmas present for myself.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Call 911

Garage
jrblackbox - Ahh yes, the presents to ones self are always the best! Just a note on rocker binding on cylinders 3 and 6 as mentioned in my original post. Shortening the axial length by around .020" using a fine file cured the problem. The picture shown below should clarify what I'm trying to say.

My Porsche restoreth my soul.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
hi boys i am doing one now and after i have opened sealed box i am missing the valve guides plate.Anybody has the same problem?
Ivan

Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

not missing mine.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I`ve got the same kit. The electric motor turns the engine backwards!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0120raptor View Post
I`ve got the same kit. The electric motor turns the engine backwards!!!!!!!
Try reversing polarity...
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes I did that but it should be correct from the makers.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: