Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenny_b View Post
Ah mate, very kind of you to say, and also to imply I'm not a rookie...but I really am....versus some of the pro's and wisened folk here, I'm barely off first base!
HAHA, come on. Give yourself more credit! You're sliding in for the home run on your projects!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Measuring TDC with a dial indicator gets you pretty close, but the crankshaft can move several degrees while the piston is stationary at/near TDC.

The recommended procedure is to use a positive stop described by ChrisBennet (post #9). However, introducing a hard stop through the spark plug hole can be risky if the valve train is intact (possible valve interference).

The slim probe on this "through-spark plug" tool seems to avoid potential contract with opening and closing valves that might not clear with larger stops. Back off the valve adjustment to limit valve lift.

With #1 head removed, a simple TDC tool can be made with a flat plate bolted across the top of the cylinder and a bolt and two nuts through a hole in the middle as a piston stop. This is a commercially available TDC plate.

Sherwood
Old 12-23-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

All good points raised. I do have a performance cam. I am interested in doing it accurately without buying the Stomski Digidix. That said I am not sure it is truly needed, but the degree wheel is not expensive.

I do see that they are used by others.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
I like the look of the spark plug stop tool, however, I struggle to get my head around the fact that the dowel-based cam sprockets only allow you to "use this hole, or that one"...it's not that granular, unlike other vernier cam sprockets with infinitely adjustable inner/outer halves, with 3 or 4 bolts that lock one to the other. I'm surprised somebody hasn't developed these for our (aircooled) engines; maybe they're used on the water cooled lumps, no idea.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 12-25-2017, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenny_b View Post
I like the look of the spark plug stop tool, however, I struggle to get my head around the fact that the dowel-based cam sprockets only allow you to "use this hole, or that one"...it's not that granular, unlike other vernier cam sprockets with infinitely adjustable inner/outer halves, with 3 or 4 bolts that lock one to the other. I'm surprised somebody hasn't developed these for our (aircooled) engines; maybe they're used on the water cooled lumps, no idea.
It isn't obvious, but if you treat the holes like short "slots" you can get finer adjustment than just putting the pin in the hole and torquing it down. Getting the cams timed th same side to side is generally considered more important than their absolute value. I like to use 2 dial indicators, one on each bank. That way if I run out of adjustment in the sprocket "slot" on one side, I can adjust the other side "back" to make them even.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I agree, the one locating pin seems suspect in terms of accuracy. Turns out on my motor the Z1 was spot on.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBennet View Post
It isn't obvious, but if you treat the holes like short "slots" you can get finer adjustment than just putting the pin in the hole and torquing it down. Getting the cams timed th same side to side is generally considered more important than their absolute value. I like to use 2 dial indicators, one on each bank. That way if I run out of adjustment in the sprocket "slot" on one side, I can adjust the other side "back" to make them even.
Yup, exactly what I did; 2x Mitutoyo Digimatic DTI's on Z-blocks one on each bank simultaneously. A razor blade held on the crankcase to mark my absolute TDC (case parting line nowhere near accurate enough, IMHO), and I was successful in getting exactly 1.26mm on both banks - exactly what I was aiming for with max advance on 964 NA cams, so was chuffed with that...all inside a couple of hours one evening.

1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 12-25-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I found all of these insights very interesting. I am curious, do any of you turn the engine backwards when timing the cams, or always clockwise?
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
I found all of these insights very interesting. I am curious, do any of you turn the engine backwards when timing the cams, or always clockwise?
For accurate cam timing, always in the normal direction of rotation.

Sherwood
Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

If you miss the TDC mark you can turn backwards (CCW) but go quite a bit, then go CW again to sneek up to the TDC mark. This makes sure all slack is out of the chains as a result of turning CCW.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: