Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Bad crank shaft

But any how I always wanted to learn to how rebuilt Porsche engine ..So I brought the Wayne Dempsey books and it is the one of best porsche I ever read ...
So I did the complete engine tear down and did the crank journal inspection it looking good , I sent off my crank shaft to Machine shop to have check dim. and Mag and micro polish ..
got it back today and I double check the machine work ,the D1 and D2 are good within spec, but the D3 is under size s/b 30.980-30.993 and I am getting 30.862 and the D6 pulley s/b 29.960-29.993 my reading 29.849 way under the spec.

Normally the D3 shaft should be good .they hardly wear
How can this happen?? man this suck
not sure about going for over size bearing and have the crank turn down...any thought?

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-22-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoporsche View Post
But any how I always wanted to learn to how rebuilt Porsche engine ..So I brought the Wayne Dempsey books and it is the one of best porsche I ever read ...
So I did the complete engine tear down and did the crank journal inspection it looking good , I sent off my crank shaft to Machine shop to have check dim. and Mag and micro polish ..
got it back today and I double check the machine work ,the D1 and D2 are good within spec, but the D3 is under size s/b 30.980-30.993 and I am getting 30.862 and the D6 pulley s/b 29.960-29.993 my reading 29.849 way under the spec.

Normally the D3 shaft should be good .they hardly wear
How can this happen?? man this suck
not sure about going for over size bearing and have the crank turn down...any thought?
There is a ring mark on the middle front D#6 of the crank shaft..has any one seem those line B4 ?
I can catch the line with my finger nail

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-22-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous
 
DRACO A5OG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes
Posts: 13,775
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Well, you have couple of options here.

Send it back to the machine shop and and have them grind down the rest to match the thinner one and go with thicker bearings

or

Get two sets of bearings and mix to match. Mine were a bit off so I took the thicker bearings and matched them with the thinner journals ( I uses Standard bearings )

As far as the deformation on the snout. I would no worry about as the sealing of the #8 bearing is more important. So that gouge was not there before you sent it to the shop?
__________________
'85 Carrera Targa
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Well, you have couple of options here.

Send it back to the machine shop and and have them grind down the rest to match the thinner one and go with thicker bearings

or

Get two sets of bearings and mix to match. Mine were a bit off so I took the thicker bearings and matched them with the thinner journals ( I uses Standard bearings )

As far as the deformation on the snout. I would no worry about as the sealing of the #8 bearing is more important. So that gouge was not there before you sent it to the shop?
yes the gouge was not there B4....
what is the real reason for standard size bearing is better or the rules of thumb over thicker bearing (+.25mm) for undersize journal?
question: if the crank shaft has being .130mm smaller than standard will is effect my oil pressure from the beginning before I torn down the motor?

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-22-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous
 
DRACO A5OG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes
Posts: 13,775
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Oh my goodness, you may need to find another machine shop as the one you used is very neglectful.

I used Standard Size because even with 180,000 miles on the Crank Clock and even my Snout damaged. My measurements were still within minimum Porsche Specifications so that is why I chose the standard size. When I micro measured each bearing, I found all of them where a it off, so I matched them. I placed the thicker ones where the journals are more worn than others. I don't think it matters much but I felt much better knowing the wear would be more evenly distributed.

I got this idea when I was waiting for my crank shaft results. A builder, got three sets +.25, Standard & -.25 and mixed and matched. A bit extreme but the engine was used for racing and expected a tear down in short order.

The Rule of Thumb, the thing is if you go too thick, oil pressure will be affected badly where oil may not get in between the bearing and journals. SO please be careful here on your choice.

If 0.130MM is within in spec of wear, use standard, if it is more than standard spec, I would consider finding a better machine shop, and grind it down to accommodate the thicker bearings to do it correctly.
__________________
'85 Carrera Targa
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Oh my goodness, you may need to find another machine shop as the one you used is very neglectful.

I used Standard Size because even with 180,000 miles on the Crank Clock and even my Snout damaged. My measurements were still within minimum Porsche Specifications so that is why I chose the standard size. When I micro measured each bearing, I found all of them where a it off, so I matched them. I placed the thicker ones where the journals are more worn than others. I don't think it matters much but I felt much better knowing the wear would be more evenly distributed.

I got this idea when I was waiting for my crank shaft results. A builder, got three sets +.25, Standard & -.25 and mixed and matched. A bit extreme but the engine was used for racing and expected a tear down in short order.

The Rule of Thumb, the thing is if you go too thick, oil pressure will be affected badly where oil may not get in between the bearing and journals. SO please be careful here on your choice.

If 0.130MM is within in spec of wear, use standard, if it is more than standard spec, I would consider finding a better machine shop, and grind it down to accommodate the thicker bearings to do it correctly.
The person who own the shop ,he does know about Porsche crank spec ..other person in the shop may have did the work...
The shaft wear limit is .012mm per spec and mine is plus .108mm too small...
The only thing I can do is to ask the shop owner find me another crank shaft . if he take the blame.... other wise I am screwed .
like you mention take to other shop to accommodate to new thicker bearing
Thank you for helping out..

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-23-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Bearing Brands

I heard stories about certain brands are bad
what is a good common brands for main and rod bearing to get?
Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nash County, NC. Just west of Rt 95
Posts: 6,545
By the time you finish buying bearings, if you can find them, a different crank could be less expensive.
Bruce
Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous
 
DRACO A5OG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes
Posts: 13,775
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Porsche mic-ed bearings, EBS has them as well ask for Don.

The bearings available on after market shops do not mic the bearings so you would need to do so to insure they are within acceptable specs.

I got the YELLOW Goetz brand.

Here is my 3.4L Build journey Part Trois: 3.4L Build, The Journey
__________________
'85 Carrera Targa
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Porsche mic-ed bearings, EBS has them as well ask for Don.

The bearings available on after market shops do not mic the bearings so you would need to do so to insure they are within acceptable specs.

I got the YELLOW Goetz brand.

Here is my 3.4L Build journey Part Trois: 3.4L Build, The Journey
The really help
Thank you very much....
Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,304
Take the crank back to the shop and take your mic. Have him measure the journals with his mic and compare to the measurements with your mic. Put a speedi-sleeve on the snout or you'll most likely have a seal leak.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Take the crank back to the shop and take your mic. Have him measure the journals with his mic and compare to the measurements with your mic. Put a speedi-sleeve on the snout or you'll most likely have a seal leak.
yes I am going to take the crank back to the shop and have them mic and I am positively my measurement is correct, ...I also did check the shaft dim. before I sent it off to the shop..I alway check and double check my work and others..I dont like playing guessing games

The owner said his mechanic check to verify the crank is standard size is good , just before they micro polish .....

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-24-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-24-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
By the time you finish buying bearings, if you can find them, a different crank could be less expensive.
Bruce
I have agreed
Old 12-26-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
. Everything now moving forward...Thank you everyone help.

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-28-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,304
What did you end up doing?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
What did you end up doing?
Replacing the crank

Last edited by frankoporsche; 12-29-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
cmcfaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,240
Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
oversized bearings are expensive. Much better to just replace the crank with a standard one.

Chris
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: tacoma wash
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
oversized bearings are expensive. Much better to just replace the crank with a standard one.

Chris
I did replaced to standard crank...thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MBAtarga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lawrenceville GA 30045
Posts: 4,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoporsche View Post
I know you've replaced the crank that was out of spec, but your original from the machine shop doesn't look like it's been micro-polished to me. Shouldn't that be almost a mirror finish?
__________________
Mark

'06 911 S Aerokit - since 5/2/2016
'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Under the radar
 
Trackrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Posts: 4,488
Garage
The factory manual gives a spec for the finish of the crank. Without spitting hairs or going into great detail suffice it to say that you don't want a mirror finish on your crank. The microscopic groves in the crank will aid in the oiling of the bearings.
__________________
Gordon
_____________________________________
'71 911 Coupe 3,0L outlawed
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:09 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.