Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Boogered is the proper engineering term for damaged threads or cylindrical deformations....
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-25-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
The new cams have the small bolt in the end of the cam and unlike the older cams, I could not get the bolt to hold the cam while removing the pin like Kevin suggested. For some reason, I could not get that to work.

On the old cams you had a tool that would hold and rotate the end of the cam. Not so on the newer cams.

The only way I could do it on my motor was to stick a small fillips screw driver in an adjacent hole when I removed the pin. I could then use that screwdriver to rotate the cam in relation to the chain sprocket.

Yea, yea, I had all the rockers in, etc, etc. Now my motor has a high lift cam with racing springs, so that added to the problem.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF

Last edited by Trackrash; 01-25-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post

The only way I could do it on my motor was to stick a small fillips screw driver in an adjacent hole when I removed the pin. I could then use that screwdriver to rotate the cam in relation to the chain sprocket.

Yea, yea, I had all the rockers in, etc, etc. Now my motor has a high lift cam with racing springs, so that added to the problem.
I use the screwdriver method too. At least on one cam, on the other you can hold it by the bolt..
Old 01-26-2018, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Relative to a reply above, the sprocket was installed on the same side it came off of when I disassembled the engine. I marked and bagged them as I did so. So the boogered side was towards the heads and thus in accessible.

I will post some pics this afternoon or this evening. Inaccessible (not on this device) at the moment.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Late cams

I use a simple method for the bolt drive cams, if itís a new assembly I install rockers on one cyl. With the key ways up on both cams and at Z1 pin both sprockets, say your timing spec is 6mm, roll it through and if you see itís going to be more than 6mm at one revolution stop at your timing value, unpin the sprocket and continue the crank to Z1 then repin and you will be very close, If you are short of your timing value (within reason) go beyond Z1 to your value and unpin and back the crank up a bit beyond Z1 then in normal direction aproach Z1 and repin. That way you arenít sticking screwdrivers etc. in the pin holes and wrecking them.
Hope this helps, Mike Bruns
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
OK, you asked for them, here are a couple of images of the damage to the sprocket:

And here is a second image that shows the shiny spots on the inner bore a little better:

Now here's a bonus. I just ordered the replacement parts from our host yesterday (1/25) and not early in the day either. THEY ARRIVED THIS AFTERNOON! I don't think I've ever had service like that before. I did not select or pay extra for expedited shipping either. The difference between the new parts and the old ones are pretty amazing as well; here are a couple of images of that:

Old 01-26-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: