Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Reliable to bore out & replate cylinders

I'm planning to rebuild a 993 based hot rod motor and want to reliably increase the displacement. Here's my question - can stock 993 cylinders be reliably bored out from 100 mm to 101 mm or slightly larger..

I've researched threads online where some have concluded that boring to 102 would be too much and would likely go out of round quickly. So, Inquiring to see if stock cylinders can be reliably bored to a safer measurement like 100.7, 101 or 101.3 mm to increase displacement to 3.7. I realize that I'll need custom pistons.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Dentist in Westborough

I've used them many times for a lot of tricks

Automotive Cylinder Services | Millennium Technologies
Old 02-04-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Automotive Cylinder Services | Millennium Technologies

+1
Old 02-04-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

L&N engineering will get it done for the same price as millennium. They ship out to millennium to have them done. But they also take all the critical measurements to match them correctly with your pistons and spec out the correct finish. Glad I did mine that way found out they needed cryotreated due to being out of round from detonation. So l&N sent them out to get them cryotreated then they were bored and plated to match the individual pistons.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 02-04-2018, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Good tip on going through L&N. I was aware of Millenium but not sure how much stock 3.6 cylinders can be reliably bored out before getting too thin.

Any thoughts on that issue? I'd like to bore from 100 to 101.3 or even 102. Maybe a call to L&N is in order.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Honestly it’s prob not worth the effort to bore and replays them if you need custom pistons then too. Id just get 102 cylinders and matched pistons.

I sent my 3.6 cylinders out to LN a couple years ago and had them replayed for my rebuild. I matched them with a set of FSR JE pistons. LN supplied everything and I bought new rods from R&R.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: