Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Parting out 1994 525i, need advice

My son basically wrecked the front end of the 525i which I bought him. I need to send it to the junk yard by June at latest. Tires I will keep, but once I get them off then I'll sell the wheels ( 4 are decent with some road rash in places, and a fifth one with a little rip in the outer edge). Interior leather (light tan/beige) seating is mint, including working power seats, so I want to sell all the seating. The headrests have the issue with the motor cable having shortened up, I fixed that sort of, and at least got them in the full down position. Can anyone tell me how to get the front seats out, I don't see any big obvious bolts? Car is dark blue, all doors are close to mint on inside, just some nicks on outside, power mirrors and windows all work quite well. Trunk lid, break lights, rear bumper all in great shape. Hood is ruined as are most headlights, radiator too probably is bad now. Front bumper ruined basically. Front quarter panels just a little bent in front. The engine and tranny are probably still good, the car starts but the fan is hitting things now and with no antifreeze I only can let in run about 15 seconds to move it from driveway to the side yard. I know first gear works, and reverse, the rest no way for me to know. Car ran great up until the crash. Anyway I won't try selling the engine or tranny unless someone local wants to come to Monmouth County new jersey, near belmar and remove that stuff with your own tools and know-how, you'd have to make me an offer worthwhile and convince me its worth the effort on my end too, don't want people coming to my house to learn how to remove an engine, I really can't help since I've never done it, you need experience or I won't agree to it. Car has 153K miles. Small enine parts I could maybe remove and ship, but I'll need to pry the hood open first. Windshield ruined, airbags went off. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Harpman2; 03-08-2009 at 08:24 AM..
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the demise of the car but I hope it did it's job and protected your son in the accident.

The front seats are bolted at the back of the seat track assembly. If you slide the seat forward while looking at the floor behind the seat, you will see the bolt. It is recessed down in the U channel of the track and it is a star type bolt with 'ridges' instead of the typical 6 sided hex bolt head. It requires a special socket. These are commonly available at Sears, Pep Boys, etc. Once you remove the bolts at the back of the tracks, the whole seat will tilt towards the windshield. Before tilting it, slide the seat towards the back of the car again. This will give you more room to tilt it and you need the room. Then remove the headrest. You just pull it straight up with a sharp motion and it will come out. The front of the seat is held down by a clamp that is welded to the floor. You have to tilt the seat and push it towards the front of the car while tilted to unhook the front of the track from the clamp. It is easier to do this than it was for me to type it.

There are two other things that need to be disconnect while the seat is tilted up. There is a cable that is attached to the outer seat track. It is linked to the seat belt retractor. I can't accurately describe the clip that holds the cable to the seat track but it is relatively easy to remove. Then, you have to separate the power harness form the floor wiring harness. It is a large connector near the center of the seat bottom. The connector is usually tied to the seat frame if the car has not been touched since it left the factory.

It takes me about 10 minutes to remove a seat in my 525 but I have done it many times. For a first timer, I still don't think it will take more than 30-40 minutes. I also live in Monmouth County. If you need help or to ask questions, email me at mda185 at optonline dot net.

I am interested in the engine wiring harness if it is accessable. I am preparing an S52 engine to swap into my 525i and a spare engine harness will make this easier. Can the hood be opened all the way? I can remove it if you want to sell it.

1995 525iT
1997 328iC
2001 Pathfinder XE
92 Celica All Trac Turbo
89 Celica All Trac Turbo

Last edited by mda185; 03-13-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Seats

Have you sold your seats? Are there any pics available?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

nope, still have everything. Let me know how far away you are. I can take some pics next week. They really are in mint condition except for the headrest motor cable on drivers seat that has shifted again and won't move headrest now. Both headrests are down though, which i think is the only position they should be in. I will try real hard to get this car off my property by end of June. Wanted it gone by now. thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have the seats?

Hi do you still have the seats? Can you email me some pics, and price you can sell for?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sorry, been so damn busy, yes I have the seats still. Seatbelts with tensioners. And all 4 doors (with all parts). and the rear bumper. Trunk lid with wiring. Rear complete brake light sets. Front corner lights (small yellow?) The two "computers" engine and ABS??? And a few interior things. If anyone interested please send me a PM with your email and I'll try to start paying more attention. Moving in a year from NJ to MD, would like to get rid of this stuff.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Need a small engine piece

Hi, if you still have some engine parts, or are willing to tackle a very easy to get to (but a bit messy) piece, I need the front plastic piece off of the auxiliary water pump.
My pump works fine, but I broke the plastic end where the hose fits on. It comes apart easy enough, so it would be inexpensive to ship just the plastic front section.

I've enclosed a picture of the entire auxiliary pump, which should be easy to get to. The only trick is to ensure the radiator fluid is drained to avoid any spills.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: