Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
...elica rossa...

Garage
…how to mess-up your R12S pipes and cat in a few simple steps…

…how to mess-up your R12S pipes and cat in a few simple steps…

…this little wish of mine was a set of pipes without a cat. …
…but no brand (Laser/HPE/Remus etc.) would fit properly in combination with the belly pan…

…so ; this is what I did…

…last week I bought me a set of brand new, original pipes, got me a few Dremel ‘Heavy Duty Cut-Off wheels’, and gave me an hour (or so) in the garage in order to let the cat out…

…I could only be a very simple job...
...I thought…

…but that cat was somewhat bigger than I expected to be…

…I honestly thought : ‘cut off that chromed top, and throw that cat away…

…but you can see it in picture # 2 ; there is some sort of (a very tough !) inner shell, and that inner shell is firmly welded to the outer one…

…so, I took another few of those Dremel cut-off thingies, and cut that inner shell in half…

…and from there it isn’t that hard anymore…

…I’m half way, and with the cutting and such, it took my some 2 hours to come this far…

…BTW ; you can still see the other half of the inner shell, and I will leave that half where it is (because it is welded to the outer one, as I mentioned)…

new set of pipes. I will keep the ones that came on the bike as a spare

top of the cat’s outer shell is already gone (and I was surprised to see this inner shell)

half of the inner shell is gone too

yes, yes, yes, half of it is gone...

…I’ll keep you guys posted regarding the final result…

R1200S + R1200RT

Last edited by RoLoo; 02-16-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the metals inside a catalytic converter highly carcingenic. If so, I hope you are using proper ventilation and air filtering for your lungs.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I thought that the metals in the cat were Platinum, myself. Not sure if it's mixed with anything else, though, other than all of the carcinogenic crap that's spewed out of the engine into it.

If that's all platinum leaf, it would be nice to be able to melt it down and sell it at market value by the ounce, but I'm about 90% certain that it doesn't really work that way...

Former bikes: '93 R100R, '93 K1100LT, '02 R1150RT, '03 K1200GT, '97 F650ST
Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

No, not all the metal in a cat is platinum. If it were, then it would be worth several millions of dollars, considering that 1 ounce of the stuff is about U$D1000. They bond minute amounts of platinum to other metals, but I'm not sure what kinds.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Um ... a hammer and a big punch poked up the tail pipe, will shatter that stuff... then pour it out. no dremel needed.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

And ...........you guys worry too much about carcinogens... Go smoke a few cigars and that will clear that platinum right out of your system.

Last edited by wswartzwel; 09-17-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Living on borrowed time!

I think he should take that platinum into Amsterdam and trade it for some 'AK47' at the nearest coffeehouse (pronounced cough-ey house )

Rick Steves said the AK blend was the best at one of his seminars...

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
No, not all the metal in a cat is platinum. If it were, then it would be worth several millions of dollars, considering that 1 ounce of the stuff is about U$D1000. They bond minute amounts of platinum to other metals, but I'm not sure what kinds.
Traditional automotive cats are honeycomb ceramic based units that have a cerium oxide coating as the primary catalytic material with sprinkles of platinum and palladium thrown in for good measure. (Sergio, you were surrounded by cerium when you picked up the SN Memorial cowl at Mountain Pass. The ore we mine contains cerium as well as the rest of the rare earth elements, so not to worry, ya aint gonna keel over )

I hear that the motorcycle cats are not ceramic based because of the severe vibration from a typical MC engine (go figure) so the honeycomb is made of nickel (as seen in RoLoo's photos). Not sure of the catalyst mix but would guess they have figured a way to plasma spray cerium oxide with parts per million levels of Pt and Pd on the surfaces to act in the same way an auto unit would......

Brock

2016 S1000XR,2001 R1100 SA: Wunderlich Seat, Staintunes, Wilbers F/R
2004 MV Agusta Brutale S
1973 BMW 2002 Touring tii, '12 LR4, 86 Mondial 3.2 QV, 02 996 Turbo
Old 09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

And the objective of all this time/expense is...?

- Mark
Old 09-17-2008, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
And the objective of all this time/expense is...?
I assumed for our entertainment. And so far as I am concerned, it's working.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Dismembered

Interestingly, RoLoo's cutaway shows anything but a honeycomb structure. RoLoo, have you examined the catalytic insert more closely? Can you say anything about the support structure those curly bits are attached too?
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Ron I hope you didnt pay too much for those pipes, because you could have bought a Remus header pretty cheap.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRoad? View Post
Interestingly, RoLoo's cutaway shows anything but a honeycomb structure. RoLoo, have you examined the catalytic insert more closely? Can you say anything about the support structure those curly bits are attached too?
They are already destroyed in his picture and from that angle you would not see it anyway, as it is flow-through and not up and down in the cat...
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2008 KTM690 Enduro
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Brock, thanks for the info. That was a fun jaunt up there... boy I miss my old bike. I'll have to stop by again some day.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I did all that to a K12RS pipe a few yrs ago.

Cat chamber was 2 layers thick also, with a layer of perf metal and steel mesh (think steel wool) between the layers.
Once inside the chamber I found 2 separate cats for cyls 1/2 and 3/4.

There was not perceptible gain in performance, exhaust note is very slightly more 'throaty'.

My main goal, other than just to 'know how', was to get rid of all the heat that the cat held in the chamber directly below my gearbox, I HATED hearing that thing creak and pop with heat, and having the muffler canister boil spit 15 minutes after the bike was shut down.

MUCH COOLER now.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post

Ron I hope you didnt pay too much for those pipes, because you could have bought a Remus header pretty cheap.
...only 100 Euros (some 142 bucks)...; so pretty cheap...

...and I 'need' the original shape of the pipes in combintion with the belly pan, that is the reason why I didn't bought a set of aftermarket pipes...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRoad? View Post

...I'll try to make a picture for you !...

...BTW ; I 'made' those curly bits, in order to remove that metal cat. ...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post

Um ... a hammer and a big punch poked up the tail pipe, will shatter that stuff... then pour it out. no dremel needed.
...I wish life was this simple...

...I can hammer all day on that thing, but it's a (very tough, and firmly welded) metal cat, not a ceramic one...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ron-

What type of floor covering is that?

RB
Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post

Ron, what type of floor covering is that?
...just plain simple (office) carpet...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: