Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Preserving that engine...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I own a '98 Boxster that has a little over 120k miles. It leaks oil and has a nasty rattling noise on cold starts.

I searched about this on this forum and also read relevant sections in Wayne's excellent 101 Projects book which I got a few days ago.

About the rattling at cold start:

I did Wayne's suggested test of cranking the engine with the fuel pump fuse pulled, and I was very relieved that the rattling didn't happen when I started the car after putting the fuse back in; this means the cause of the rattling is one or more tensioners. I read elsewhere on this forum something suggesting there's no need to worry about that; I'd like to understand why, because that rattling, although lasting only a couple of seconds, is very loud, so I fear in the long run it might damage the chains and/or other components they get in contact with to make the rattling.

Here's an idea, tell me if it's crazy: Put a switch (spring-loaded pushbutton) in the fuel pump fuse circuit, that you depress to open the circuit, for a few seconds, just when doing a cold start. This would be similar to what I think they were doing for starting a Spitfire's Merlin engine, (presumably to lube the parts - there's a video on YouTube that shows this and it also explains why they called that bird Spitfire - awesome sound those Merlin engines, btw...). Yes I realize this may abuse the starter, but I'd much rather change a starter than open up an engine.

About the oil leak:

I'll bring the car to a shop that does Porsche work to try to determine the source. One thing I saw in Wayne's book is a mod to the oil filter area that does away with the canister and paper filters, and allows use of standard screw-on filters. Coupled with Wayne's assessment that the current design might have a weak point there, I thought "what a great idea", but then I saw a few pictures on the forum, showing little bits of green or brown material within removed paper oil filters, I thought "oops, that's useful info that likely would be lost if switching to the screw-on filters"; that's because on the forum, based on the color of the chunks, it seems possible to determine which components are wearing/failing,

Hence on that topic (oil filter approach) I'm now undecided. One thing I hope will not happen (or hopefully has not happened yet) on my engine is IMS deterioration; I want to do everything I can to avoid this, and my plan on that is frequent oil changes, keeping quantity on the top peg, and use of a more viscous oil, of the highest possible quality - btw I'd like suggestions on the oil type/brand, so far I've been using 5W40 synthetic, no particular brand (whathever's on special at Canadian Tire (eh ? ;-)

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !

Gilles from Montreal

Last edited by Aerocorp; 08-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Correct typos, add small detail
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Gilles, I have a 98 with 234k miles on it, mild rattle on cold start. I agree with you on the usefulness of the original cartridge oil filter. I'm leaving mine as is. I have seen the system you are referring to regarding pre lubing the Merlin (on a P-51D) great engine. Where is the oil leak?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can cut the metal outer shell of the all-in-one oil filters and examine the insides. Not as easy as the paper filters.

The other point that is sometimes raised is the bypass in the metal encased filters is always functional, not so in the OEM paper cartridges.

Your car, your choice.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Find the source of the leak. Spark plug tubes are a common problem area in higher mileage cars, and relatively easy to fix.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding the spark plug tubes. Just finised a plug change on my 98 with 234k miles and was going to change my tubes. I acquired a 1" transom plug as suggsted by Pedro and could not get any to budge, fabricated a bolt tool and that didn't work. Because there was no indication of oil leaks in or around the tubes and I didn't want to destroy them, I left them be til the next plug change. Looking back through the maintenance records I can find no indication that the tubes have ever been changed. Has anyone out there encountered this? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Hi Gilles, I have a 98 with 234k miles on it, mild rattle on cold start. I agree with you on the usefulness of the original cartridge oil filter. I'm leaving mine as is. I have seen the system you are referring to regarding pre lubing the Merlin (on a P-51D) great engine. Where is the oil leak?
Hi M. Murphy and thanks for your reply. I don稚 know yet what the oil leak source is, shop where I go is overwhelmed due to vacations, I値l probably end up lifting car and inspecting myself, and I値l report back when I do.

Meanwhile a NEW and NASTY sound has just started, not long after I re-topped my oil level while awaiting for ordered oil filter to do an oil change, I知 very concerned with it, if anyone cann listen to it (audio file attached - I hope) and tell me if they know about it I値l definitely appreciate...

The only thing I can add that might be related to this is that I thought nk I added a little too much oil, as showed by the dipstick. I was hoping this would diminish the cold start short duration rattling noise.

I知 keeping my fingers crossed that I have a failing external pulley bearing (I was going to replace the belt) instead of an IMS failure developing...
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Maybe get the oil down to proper level measured by the dipstick by pulling the oil filter and seeing if that will drain enough oil. Too much oil can create more pressure, leaks, foaming, etc.

No audio file.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

BTW, the oil goes to the arrow on the electronic dipstick, not the top bar. Top bar means over full. You may slosh oil into the AOS that way and blow a huge blue cloud on start up.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetarga View Post
BTW, the oil goes to the arrow on the electronic dipstick, not the top bar. Top bar means over full. You may slosh oil into the AOS that way and blow a huge blue cloud on start up.
Electronic dipstick?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

On the dash. Turn key 1 click, dash displays oil level after a few seconds.

Last edited by tonythetarga; 08-12-2018 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: