Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starter or Engine Problem

My '99 Boxster suddenly started with a problem. When I turn the key to start the engine I can only hear a click when the starter motor engages. Eventually the engine would turn and start. At first I thought the starter motor was bad and ordered a new one.

After replacing the starter motor it keeps doing the same clicking noise and the engine won't start. Any ideas what can cause this behavior?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotico View Post
My '99 Boxster suddenly started with a problem. When I turn the key to start the engine I can only hear a click when the starter motor engages. Eventually the engine would turn and start. At first I thought the starter motor was bad and ordered a new one.

After replacing the starter motor it keeps doing the same clicking noise and the engine won't start. Any ideas what can cause this behavior?
Low voltage. Load test your battery and check the car's ground cables for voltage drop.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I have measured my battery and I have 12.4V, on the positive screw of the starter I have 12.4V, on the S screw when I turn the ignition switch I have 9.4V and I have a positive drop of 11.4V. Can it be the ignition switch electrical part the problem?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I have measured my battery and I have 12.4V, on the positive screw of the starter I have 12.4V, on the S screw when I turn the ignition switch I have 9.4V and I have a positive drop of 11.4V. Can it be the ignition switch electrical part the problem?
Possibly, but I would also voltage drop test/resistance test both battery leads. I would also load test the battery as well.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have done all the tests to the battery, even tried a new battery. It seem that the switch might be the problem. When you first connect the battery and turn the key nothing happens, after a few tries you get a click on the starter but no cranking.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Please help. I have replaced the ignition switch and nothing. The battery is fine as I have double check it. The problem must be a short, but not sure where. I recall having the first symptoms when replacing the alternator. After several tries the engine would crank. Now I just get a click.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Please help. I have replaced the ignition switch and nothing. The battery is fine as I have double check it. The problem must be a short, but not sure where. I recall having the first symptoms when replacing the alternator. After several tries the engine would crank. Now I just get a click.
But have you done voltage drop across the large cables? We have seen this exact thing happen when there was a bad cable (high resistance), which is rather common.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Talking

Thanks a lot JFP, I have found the problem. I did the voltage drop test and found the weak point. For everyone else having the same problem, check the connection box that couples the battery with the starter and alternator. Mine was really dirty and a little bit loose.

Thanks to all! Happy Porschering!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
engine , motor , starter