Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel sending unit leaking - questions

Fuel sending unit is leaking, has to be replaced. Did a search, and I see what needs to be done. A couple of quick questions if I may:

- How low does the fuel tank need to be to do this job?

-Is there a cheap tool available to loosen and tighten the collar? If not hat's the best way to do it?

- Does the new one always have to be re-calibrated to accurately read fuel level? If so is there a unit I have to buy to do that or (heaven forbid) do I have to go to a dealership to do that? If so what's the typical cost on that?

-Lastly, the cover over the fuel sending unit is missing. There is nothing between it and the bottom of the battery tray. Where do I get one?

Thanks, guys.

Last edited by Doug427; 02-07-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have done this project. The lower the fuel level the safer. I did mine at about half full. I think there is a tool to get the big screw cap off but I found it easy enough to take off by hand after pushing it loose with a big screw driver. I tightened it the same way. Yes you are supposed to calibrate afterward by putting in a specified amount of gas, I seem to remember like 12 gallons and then calibrate with the Porsche scantool. I personally did not calibrate and my tank level seems to drop a little fast through the first quarter then slower around half and rapidly again through the bottom quarter. I may get it calibrated one day....or maybe not. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: