Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To be honest, I don't know if the code can be synced. We have never done it. We do it all as a single programming operations with a new key.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Pretty sure it will work. There is no way they would have overcomplicated that remote bit anymore then they had to. It would drive up the cost even more.
Rolling codes don't require it to be secure. And the remote part most definately is a rolling codes system.

The expensive new key programming, that's just for the RFID pill.

So anybody who has a busted remote, but still has the RFID pill , can avoid a lot of costs by just getting a replacement key from any source
and transplante the electronics in his own key, to his old RFID pill and mechanical key.

And then follow the procedure in the manual to resync the rolling code.

Last edited by svandamme; 08-05-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Old 08-05-2018, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocorp View Post
Thanks for the highly detailed response !

You asked what car; my car is a Boxster 1998, meaning model 986 (2.5L) (confirmed from the original, beat up owner’s manual - I’m the 3rd owner of this car).

I made sure the new key batteries were fine by swapping them between keys, and as you said the “RFID pill” must be ok on the key whose remote isn’t working, because I’m able to start the car with it. I presume this RFID pill is not located on the key’s circuit board but rather sunk somewhere else in the body of the key. That also means I got lucky not to damage it, because the darn key cover’s clips aren’t working anymore and I fixed that by drilling and installing 2 small screws to keep the cover closed...

So, if the above is correct, all I have to find is a replacement key’s internal circuit board because the real reason the LEDs and remote functions don’t work is because that circuit (which you refer to as the remote) is dead. Does Pelican Parts or any other outfit sell only this circuit board?

I looked up the 986 manual.
there is no mention of the code resyncing.
Perhaps it's not using a rolling code system like the 987.

And either it's a fixed code, in which case you might be out of luck
or it's just a frequency based system, and will work with another remote innards.

Can't tell.

But try this first

Maybe that does a resync and they just didn't describe it like that in the 986 manual
Old 08-06-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Got one of my remotes working again. Put a working ignition key in the ignition and turn On. Put the second key in the door, turn to unlock and push the unlock button twice. '99 986
None of these other methods worked.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fob , remote