Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

remote key replacement? NUTS!

The remote key fob for my 1999 Boxster is dead and I need a new one. I called the Stevens Creek dealer here in the Bay Area and they told me their prices:

blank key: $500
program the key: $225
Totes: $725

$725 for a new key is cray cray! I went looking on EBay and Amazon, and the blank key prices are good ( < $50 ) but all the sellers I've tried don't provide the key code that is required for reprogramming.

Can anybody provide a referral in the Bay Area for getting this done at a reasonable cost?

Regards
jc
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

ok I can buy the replacement head here for $160, and confirming with Pelican that it comes with the programming key.

Is there a place in the Bay Area that will program it for under $100?

Regards
jeff
Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Other members may chime in - from what I've read, unfortunately a dealer needs to do this.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It wouldn't be a secure system if just anyone could replace keys. When you go to the dealer, you're going to have to prove you're the legal owner of the car.
'01 Boxster
Old 06-11-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Had to get one when I first got my Boxster last year...$500. First question when I got my my Cayenne was, " do both keys work?"
Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

Try an independent P-Car shop that has the computer necessary to do the job.
I know Heyer performance in Mt. View has the computer (or did) call and ask if he can help you.
Or someone closer.
Ask Tom Amon in S.J. ?
Lots of choices besides the Dealer, ya just gotta seek them out.
You could also call a wrecking yard like Partsheaven in Hayweird.
You're now overloaded w/ info, so...Go man Go.
and yes, of course you're welcome.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
from my understanding There are 3 things in the key, the mechanical key, the remote and the transponder.
the key is obvious
the remote is self learning, as you put it in the ignition the car will learn the remote.
if you haven't used your spare key for a year, then the remote won't work.. and needs to re-learn.

the transponder is the one that allows you to start the car, it's not a complicated thingie , it don't need batteries..

So first question , if you open the car with the key (not the remote), the alarm will go off
but you should be able to start the car if the transponder is good, just put the key in and turn on the ignition should do it.

If that works , you don't need a dealer at all. you can get a remote elsewhere, put the innards in your key.. and then learn it to the car yourself.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
from my understanding There are 3 things in the key, the mechanical key, the remote and the transponder.
the key is obvious
the remote is self learning, as you put it in the ignition the car will learn the remote.
if you haven't used your spare key for a year, then the remote won't work.. and needs to re-learn.

the transponder is the one that allows you to start the car, it's not a complicated thingie , it don't need batteries..

So first question , if you open the car with the key (not the remote), the alarm will go off
but you should be able to start the car if the transponder is good, just put the key in and turn on the ignition should do it.

If that works , you don't need a dealer at all. you can get a remote elsewhere, put the innards in your key.. and then learn it to the car yourself.
Sorry, but that is not even remotely correct. These cars cannot "self learn" the RFID pill in the key head, it has to be programmed into the system using a PIWIS system, otherwise it would be very simple to steal these cars, which is anything but the actual situation.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sorry, but that is not even remotely correct. These cars cannot "self learn" the RFID pill in the key head, it has to be programmed into the system using a PIWIS system, otherwise it would be very simple to steal these cars, which is anything but the actual situation.
read it again. I said the remote button thingie can be learned by inserting the key.
Not the transponder.

btw, your signature looks like some literal google translate english to french mishap to me

At the very least it should be ".....a vos rÍves" holdon to your dreams
not "de vos rÍves" which means from your dreams.

Although either way, I doubt anybody french would use that wording..Accrochez-vous I think is more a physical "hold on" "brace yourself to".. But I could be wrong on that.

Last edited by svandamme; 06-14-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just to add an extra option, Aristocrat Motors in Shawnee Kansas quoted me 368 for a full function replacement key for my 2002 Boxster S.

Have found a local Kansas City locksmith that says he can make a key without the remote, for $85 each, but needs the car present to do it.

Alan...........
Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Just got a 2001 Boxster S... with one worn remote/key. Went thru tons of blogs and options and just went for the dealer route. 341 for key, 175 to program at dealer. An aftermarket Porsche repair shop was like 30 bucks less, didn't make sense.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
the key is obvious

Whats the old saying? No one knows you are ignorant until you open your mouth and confirmed it like you did on this one. You should listen to someone that knows like Jeff in Pa.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
You know, you could just argue on the subject instead.

You could correct any errors In my statement with fact.

So what part of what I said is incorrect?

That there is a mechanical key? the long thing you insert and turn?
Is that wrong?

That there is a remote , the thing with buttons that you can open the car with?

And that there is a transponder bit, that controls the immobilizer?

What part of that is wrong?

And what part of me saying, that #1 is not difficult,
Is that incorrect?

and neither is #2, that one is self learning when you insert the key in the car.
Is that wrong? because it says so in the manual.
It's a rolling code, and it can get out of sync

Procedure to resync is in the manual :

So Am i wrong here?

Then there is the #3 part , That's the one that has to be done at the dealer, the one they charge and arm and a leg for.

That one cannot be done without the Dealer programming.

Hey, i could be wrong about any of my understanding.
But then just explain it so everybody can learn.

I'll repeat : I never said the RFID pill can be learned to the car by yourself.
That's what JFP in PA insinuated and he mis read it.

Last edited by svandamme; 08-03-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If you buy a used key it is useless without it's number sequence. This is required when the key is programmed to the car. We also need to obtain teaching/learning codes specific to your VIN.

The dealer, or an independent like us, charge for this service (may or may not be an arm and a leg) because we use a very expensive piece of equipment to do so...
Old 08-03-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Interesting thread [not the flaming part - cool down guys ok ? ;-) ]

I recently replaced the battery in my 2 keys, but one is refusing to work for remotely locking or unlocking the car; the red LED doesn't blink when I press the button for that function (same story for the 2nd button to open the rear trunk if I remember right). HOWEVER the key will start the car.

I'm hoping that means I could just buy a replacement circuit that goes inside the key for not too much $, and I'd be back with full functionality.

Right or wrong ?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
If you buy a used key it is useless without it's number sequence. This is required when the key is programmed to the car. We also need to obtain teaching/learning codes specific to your VIN.

The dealer, or an independent like us, charge for this service (may or may not be an arm and a leg) because we use a very expensive piece of equipment to do so...
But that is for the RFID pill, correct?
#3 in my list of 3 things in the key

Basically PIWIS is used to tell the car that , this particular pill is approved to disable the immobiliser circuit.
the pill inside is not programmed to the car. The data code in the pill never changes.

And then you still have to do the procedure sync the rolling codes of the Remote bit , to the car with the key inserted to the car. correct? #2 in the list of 3.

And it Is an arm and a leg for a key, But from my understanding that's because Porsche only rents out PIWIS, eg, you cannot buy it. right?

Last edited by svandamme; 08-03-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocorp View Post
Interesting thread [not the flaming part - cool down guys ok ? ;-) ]

I recently replaced the battery in my 2 keys, but one is refusing to work for remotely locking or unlocking the car; the red LED doesn't blink when I press the button for that function (same story for the 2nd button to open the rear trunk if I remember right). HOWEVER the key will start the car.

I'm hoping that means I could just buy a replacement circuit that goes inside the key for not too much $, and I'd be back with full functionality.

Right or wrong ?

What car?
the remote of unused keys go out of sync and can be resynched.
It's in the manual of my 987
pretty sure something similar is in the 986 manual, the remote uses a rolling code, it works the same for most rolling code systems

Basically they both have a list of codes

Code 1=ABC123
Code 2=ABC124
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

When somebody pushes the button on a remote
The remote sends that code to the receiver

Remote > receiver ABC123

Receiver says, OK, opens the gate
And they both update their list

Code 1=ABC128
Code 2=ABC124
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

If you have a remote somewhere
It still has the old list in it's memory

So push that button.
Remote > receiver ABC123
receiver plays dead, ABC123 is no longer in its list
Remote > receiver ABC124
Receiver says ok
Opens the gate

both update their list

Code 1=ABC128
Code 2=ABC129
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

This is very simplified.

But if for instance somebody would use the same remote over and over again.
and leave the Second remote in his safe, un used for a year.

Remote 1 would know the right list of codes
Remote 2 would be hopelessly outdated, and his list would not have a single valid code left.

remote 2 would say ABC 123
When the other remote and the receiver have codes that are by then ZWY9xx range.

Again, very simplfied, the codes are a lot more complicated
the list is a lot longer.

But essentially remote 2 would stop working till a resync of the rolling codes is done.

And you can pretty much sync any remote control electroic if it's the same frequency, and uses the same kind of codes. (All Porsche keys from the same model era use the same, for obvious reasons)

The only thing you need, is the right Immobilizer RFID, that is accepted by the car.

The RFID bit is non electronic, it's a solid state thingiemagic that is very durable.
no moving parts, no current needed, it hardly ever breaks.

So if you have a good RFID pill
You can resync the rolling code in the electronics in the key remote

And i'm pretty sure you could even get a spare key online
get the eletronics out
put it in your own key, with your own RFID pill
and resync that via the same procedure.
But you need the right RFID pill from your own key. Which you have since you can start your car with that key.

You should be able to either resync the key with a new key battery in it
OR
transplant the remote from another key, and resync it with your own RFID pill , to your car.

That's all I have been saying all along.

Last edited by svandamme; 08-04-2018 at 02:39 AM..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
What car?
the remote of unused keys go out of sync and can be resynched.
It's in the manual of my 987
pretty sure something similar is in the 986 manual, the remote uses a rolling code, it works the same for most rolling code systems

Basically they both have a list of codes

Code 1=ABC123
Code 2=ABC124
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

When somebody pushes the button on a remote
The remote sends that code to the receiver

Remote > receiver ABC123

Receiver says, OK, opens the gate
And they both update their list

Code 1=ABC128
Code 2=ABC124
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

If you have a remote somewhere
It still has the old list in it's memory

So push that button.
Remote > receiver ABC123
receiver plays dead, ABC123 is no longer in its list
Remote > receiver ABC124
Receiver says ok
Opens the gate

both update their list

Code 1=ABC128
Code 2=ABC129
Code 3=ABC125
Code 4=ABC126
Code 5=ABC127

This is very simplified.

But if for instance somebody would use the same remote over and over again.
and leave the Second remote in his safe, un used for a year.

Remote 1 would know the right list of codes
Remote 2 would be hopelessly outdated, and his list would not have a single valid code left.

remote 2 would say ABC 123
When the other remote and the receiver have codes that are by then ZWY9xx range.

Again, very simplfied, the codes are a lot more complicated
the list is a lot longer.

But essentially remote 2 would stop working till a resync of the rolling codes is done.

And you can pretty much sync any remote control electroic if it's the same frequency, and uses the same kind of codes. (All Porsche keys from the same model era use the same, for obvious reasons)

The only thing you need, is the right Immobilizer RFID, that is accepted by the car.

The RFID bit is non electronic, it's a solid state thingiemagic that is very durable.
no moving parts, no current needed, it hardly ever breaks.

So if you have a good RFID pill
You can resync the rolling code in the electronics in the key remote

And i'm pretty sure you could even get a spare key online
get the eletronics out
put it in your own key, with your own RFID pill
and resync that via the same procedure.
But you need the right RFID pill from your own key. Which you have since you can start your car with that key.

You should be able to either resync the key with a new key battery in it
OR
transplant the remote from another key, and resync it with your own RFID pill , to your car.

That's all I have been saying all along.
Thanks for the highly detailed response !

You asked what car; my car is a Boxster 1998, meaning model 986 (2.5L) (confirmed from the original, beat up ownerís manual - Iím the 3rd owner of this car).

I made sure the new key batteries were fine by swapping them between keys, and as you said the ďRFID pillĒ must be ok on the key whose remote isnít working, because Iím able to start the car with it. I presume this RFID pill is not located on the keyís circuit board but rather sunk somewhere else in the body of the key. That also means I got lucky not to damage it, because the darn key coverís clips arenít working anymore and I fixed that by drilling and installing 2 small screws to keep the cover closed...

So, if the above is correct, all I have to find is a replacement keyís internal circuit board because the real reason the LEDs and remote functions donít work is because that circuit (which you refer to as the remote) is dead. Does Pelican Parts or any other outfit sell only this circuit board?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Yes, programming the pil in the key. When we do the programming it also links up the remote features as well, not need to mess around once we are done. You don't need a PIWIS to code a key, we have one, but we prefer to use our Autologic as it is quicker.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff, can you confirm, that , as long as the RFID pill is good
the electronics inside can be replaced and the rolling code for teh remote can be synced?
Old 08-05-2018, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fob , remote