Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

remote key replacement? NUTS!

The remote key fob for my 1999 Boxster is dead and I need a new one. I called the Stevens Creek dealer here in the Bay Area and they told me their prices:

blank key: $500
program the key: $225
Totes: $725

$725 for a new key is cray cray! I went looking on EBay and Amazon, and the blank key prices are good ( < $50 ) but all the sellers I've tried don't provide the key code that is required for reprogramming.

Can anybody provide a referral in the Bay Area for getting this done at a reasonable cost?

Regards
jc
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

ok I can buy the replacement head here for $160, and confirming with Pelican that it comes with the programming key.

Is there a place in the Bay Area that will program it for under $100?

Regards
jeff
Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Other members may chime in - from what I've read, unfortunately a dealer needs to do this.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It wouldn't be a secure system if just anyone could replace keys. When you go to the dealer, you're going to have to prove you're the legal owner of the car.
'01 Boxster
Old 06-11-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Had to get one when I first got my Boxster last year...$500. First question when I got my my Cayenne was, " do both keys work?"
Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

Try an independent P-Car shop that has the computer necessary to do the job.
I know Heyer performance in Mt. View has the computer (or did) call and ask if he can help you.
Or someone closer.
Ask Tom Amon in S.J. ?
Lots of choices besides the Dealer, ya just gotta seek them out.
You could also call a wrecking yard like Partsheaven in Hayweird.
You're now overloaded w/ info, so...Go man Go.
and yes, of course you're welcome.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
from my understanding There are 3 things in the key, the mechanical key, the remote and the transponder.
the key is obvious
the remote is self learning, as you put it in the ignition the car will learn the remote.
if you haven't used your spare key for a year, then the remote won't work.. and needs to re-learn.

the transponder is the one that allows you to start the car, it's not a complicated thingie , it don't need batteries..

So first question , if you open the car with the key (not the remote), the alarm will go off
but you should be able to start the car if the transponder is good, just put the key in and turn on the ignition should do it.

If that works , you don't need a dealer at all. you can get a remote elsewhere, put the innards in your key.. and then learn it to the car yourself.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
from my understanding There are 3 things in the key, the mechanical key, the remote and the transponder.
the key is obvious
the remote is self learning, as you put it in the ignition the car will learn the remote.
if you haven't used your spare key for a year, then the remote won't work.. and needs to re-learn.

the transponder is the one that allows you to start the car, it's not a complicated thingie , it don't need batteries..

So first question , if you open the car with the key (not the remote), the alarm will go off
but you should be able to start the car if the transponder is good, just put the key in and turn on the ignition should do it.

If that works , you don't need a dealer at all. you can get a remote elsewhere, put the innards in your key.. and then learn it to the car yourself.
Sorry, but that is not even remotely correct. These cars cannot "self learn" the RFID pill in the key head, it has to be programmed into the system using a PIWIS system, otherwise it would be very simple to steal these cars, which is anything but the actual situation.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sorry, but that is not even remotely correct. These cars cannot "self learn" the RFID pill in the key head, it has to be programmed into the system using a PIWIS system, otherwise it would be very simple to steal these cars, which is anything but the actual situation.
read it again. I said the remote button thingie can be learned by inserting the key.
Not the transponder.

btw, your signature looks like some literal google translate english to french mishap to me

At the very least it should be ".....a vos rÍves" holdon to your dreams
not "de vos rÍves" which means from your dreams.

Although either way, I doubt anybody french would use that wording..Accrochez-vous I think is more a physical "hold on" "brace yourself to".. But I could be wrong on that.

Last edited by svandamme; 06-14-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fob , remote