Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R56 S starting issue...

I have a 2007 Mini S with just under 90K

It has worked flawlessly for the most part. Maintenance and minor issues only.

This morning I went out, hopped in, pushing in the fob, dash lights etc. came on, pushed the start button and everything went dead. Key fob licked in the dash can't be removed - not able to push it in etc.

I pulled the two relays with the engine picture on them and the lights came back on and there was an exclamation point in my tach. Pushed the start button and it fired right up. No, there is no rhyme or reason why I pulled the relays - desperation I imagine.

So I assumed it was one of the two relays.

Car ran fine all day, probably went through half a dozen start cycles, then at the grocery store the same thing happened. I figure I'll just pulled the relays again. You guessed it - it didn't solve the problem.

Five to 10 minutes later the lights came on and the car started without issue.

So, anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

[added:]

Is there a door interlock on the ignition? It happened again this evening, only when I turned OFF the car. The power went dead and the key would not come out. I slammed the driver door and everything came back on.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but for anyone who runs into something similar. Check the battery cables, and then check them again.

I checked them when this first started and I would swear they were tight. I checked again this morning and the positive cable was loose.

Always check the cables.

https://www.facebook.com/JayShettyIW/videos/cindy-healy-always-check-the/1872493876161127/
Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Cool vid!

Yes, the slamming the door and changing the behavior is a big sign that something, usually an electrical connection, is loose. Glad you found the source of the problem!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Cool vid!

Yes, the slamming the door and changing the behavior is a big sign that something, usually an electrical connection, is loose. Glad you found the source of the problem!!

--DD
Thanks. BTW, my reply didn't post. It says it is waiting for moderator approval... is it the link?
Old 07-21-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Could be the link coming from a new user. I did see it, but I am in the admin group.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: