Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cooling fan does not come on...

I have 2 R56's. A 2008 and 2009. Both only have one fan relay. Prior to the soon to be described work, both fans operated normally.

So, on my 2009 with 137K miles. I spend a long labor Day weekend getting it caught up. I needed to replace the clutch. So, while I was going to have to whole front end torn off, I thought it was the perfect time to replace the Timing chain set, update the water pump from plastic to Aluminum and replace the thermostat.
---By the way with a floor jack and a transmission jack, you can R&R the transmission without removing the subframe. I did it. Actually wasnt hard at all.
* in the process of removing the front bumper to put the radiator support into service mode, I noticed that at some point in time, the crack in my lower grill must have been caused by hitting a small animal. Surprisingly, the heavily crushed condenser and radiator never leaked as the A/C worked great. That is until I moved it and it must have flexed enough to open a weakness in the condenser and lost my charge.

So, after my 5 day holiday, I replaced:
Timing Chain and guides - Runs fantastic with NO codes
Water Pump
Thermostat assembly
New radiator
New condenser.
New Serpentine belt
New Clutch, Flywheel and pressure plate
Front and rear Crankshaft seals
**also added the Cravenspeed Oil pressure/Water Temp Gauge Pod set - Very cool!

The cooling system is tight. Tested at 20#'s for 1 hour, no leak down.

The engine gets up to 220 degrees and no fan.
Unplug the Temp Sensor, the fan comes on full
using my Foxwell Scan tool to test the fan is comes on full

I have let the car cool down overnight and added coolant the next morning to complete the bleed. Still get the same results.

So, on my 2008, everything works correctly. I swapped fans thinking the fan failed, after all it can happen. No change and the 09 fan works perfectly in the 08.

So... can anyone make a suggestion?
Old 09-09-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Problem fixed...
So, in the process of fixing several things, I forgot to mention that I also replaced the radio which required removing the Heat/AC control panel. Some how in the process of removing and or reinstalling, the connector in the control panel got damaged. I noticed that reading the codes, I got a whole string of codes for flap doors not responding. Eventhough there was power to acitvate the switches and controls, nothing was going out to activate the compressor or HVAC. I retraced my steps with everything I had done that could affect the fan not working on the electrical side and removed the control panel for the HVAC, wiggled the connectors and heard flaps and other stuff working in the dash that I didnt previously since the repairs. Luckily, with the radio replacement Mini Radio i bought, I got all of the controls with it and swapped them out. Voila... all is working.
So, the moral of the story, if your AC compressor is not operating, and the highspeed fan is not kicking on when the AC is supposed to be on. check your HVAC control panel. It also contributes to your low speed fan circuit as I experienced, the fan would not operate up to 240 degrees F. Now everything works as it should.
Good luck to all out there keeping these cool little cars on the road!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The other moral is: If you fix one thing and something else no longer works, go back and re-check your work carefully!!

.... I can't even begin to count the number of times I've inadvertently messed something up while fixing something else ...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: