Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 2009 Cooper S Will crank but not start

I've done all the troubleshooting I am able to perform. I've replaced a poor battery (4 yrs old in AZ). Replaced a questionable fuel pump relay. Verified the fuses in the engine bay are good.

The car was working when I got a jump start to take it to an appointment at a dealer for an oil change. Stopped for a errand and the car would not restart again, even when jumped.

Cannot access OBD codes as all my scanners cannot connect. Inside, on the tach display, the only item showing is the "key" symbol.

I've read somewhere the ECU, which has the VIN, the Fob, and the Rolling code generator must all match in order to have the ECU kick on the fuel pump and the ignition spark. 1) Is this true? 2) Is there any way a DIY-er can reset this so the car can stop being a really expensive lawn ornament?

~Trevor
Old 11-10-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It sounds like you have a blown fuse, if the obd II port isn’t working. Did you check all of the fuses under the hood? It’s possible that the key lost programming but not likely. Focus on getting the code reader to work, whenever you insert the key and press the start button one time do the gauges come on to include the check engine light?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The port is working for a specific type of scanner (Foxwell 510) but will not connect using a 'standard' OBDII compatible scanner. Even the Foxwell can't read the OBDII.

I still need to check the fuses. The gauges do come on and the CEL is there. While cranking, the display square in the middle of the Tach shows a key symbol. Is that relevant?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Checked the fuses and found F31-35 were not giving me a voltage reading on ether terminal. Going to replace those now. Still getting the key symbol after 'registering' the battery replacement.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check your underhood fuses. One side of the fuse should be 12v+ on the feed side. The other side is your fused side going out to the circuit.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog85043 View Post
Checked the fuses and found F31-35 were not giving me a voltage reading on ether terminal. Going to replace those now.
Wait, if a fuse is not showing voltage on either side, then it's not the fuse that's the problem. It's whatever is supposed to send power to that fuse. In an old car like my 914, that would either be a relay or a switch, but I'm not sure about the MINI.

I would advise digging into a wiring diagram so you can see where the power to those fuses comes from. And it might even be that they aren't supposed to be powered unless some specific set of circumstances (e.g., switch A on and switch B off or some such).

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
2009 , crank no start , troubleshooting