Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil can light after up to temp

Hello all..
I purchased a 2011 Cooper S (N18) a couple month ago, everything was great for about 1k miles then the oil can light would kick on for a sec and go out ( happed on flat straight road). Of course the first time I shut it down checking oil levels and obvious reasons why, all was good. I took the car to the dealer who told me best guess was that it was the filter used by the last owner was causing the issue and changed oil and filter to Mini brand and pushed it out the door. Well that lasted a couple hundred miles and now once the car gets to temp the light will cycle on and off at will. I did purchase a scan gauge so I could see pressures/Temp and pressure always seem to be at least in the 30s even after temp is up to normal.. When I talk the dealership again, they just want you to bring in so they can hit you with the high shop rate just to guess.. I have checked wire rubbing, without any issue noted.. I did speak with previous owner who not tells that that this has happed a few times before but blew it off... Would of been nice to know that little piece of info prior to purchase...

UPDATE..
I have replaced the oil pressure sensor with not joy.. Seems like once the eng get to up to temp (220) the can light comes on with acceleration and goes out when off the throttle, gut my scan gauge says pressure is above 33PSI ..

Has anyone experienced this before and if so what fixed the issue.. Welcome all suggestions..

Very frustrated...
Ron
Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Which light comes on? Is it the small oil pressure light, or the big central warning one? If the latter, the car is throwing a code, and you should be able to see something on your ScanGauge. Scroll through to "SCAN" (I think it is) and you should be able to see some codes and/or some "pending" codes. I don't think the code numbers match the official documentation, though, so you may have to do some digging to find what they mean.

If there are codes, then a good shop with the appropriate reader should be able to tell you what they mean. Note that some are BMW/MINI-specific, so most generic code readers (like the SG) can't really make head nor tail out of them.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No codes that I can pull with my generic reader. Mini dealership did see a code for low pressure and cleared it after they changed my filter and oil and said it was good. Waste of 180$. They couldn’t give me the true oil pressure which irritated the hell out of me. Scan gauge show pressures above 33 or so even at idle.
The oil can light was the red icon of an oil can.
Thanks
Ron
Old 05-20-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I just double-checked in my 2012 standard Cooper. (A "Justa" Cooper. ) There is no separate oil pressure light, so I think you are talking about the warning light in the middle of the tach. That is driven by the computer system in the car, not directly by an oil pressure sender. So there may be more going on than just a simple light like in older cars.

The owner's manual does say that the oil-can icon showing up in that center display is a low oil pressure indicator. I would think that it would also save as a code, but it might take a BMW-specific reader to find that.

Sounds like you may need to find a good independent mechanic who has the right scan tools. Hopefully you can find MINI enthusiasts in your area who will have recommendations. (If you're in Silicon Valley, Edge Motor Works is good but on the expensive side. Then again, everything is expensive here!!)

If you can consistently get the light to come on in some circumstances, I would recommend getting a separate mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up to the engine. That lets you double-check the actual oil pressure when the light tells you something is wrong.

--DD

Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank for the reply Dave.. I do have the scanguage plugged into the OBD port, which reads oil pressure and it never falls below 28-30 PSI be it at idle or above. And it does not do it every time I drive the car, but lately more times than not.. Plenty oil on the top end.. Just hoping someone out there has had similar with fix..

Thanks again
Ron
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a 2006 mini cooper s . The oil light comes on after about 5 minutes ,if i give it more gas it goes while driving it goes out until I let off the gas, I changed the oil 3 months ago and have never had this problem before. Have any suggestions on the problem ,could it be over filled ?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

hI I HAVE A 2006 S MINI COOPER ,THE OIL LIGHT COMES ON 5MIN. AFTER I AM DRIVING .IF I GIVE IT GAS THE LIGHT GOES OUT .I CHANGED THE OIL IN APRIL WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE ?

Last edited by nose; 10-02-2018 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: ONE WORD WRONG
Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Either your oil pressure is low, or your sender is bad.

First thing to do: Check your oil level. The stock dipstick is, umm, not the best design in the world. I have heard of people making notches in the plastic on the end, or painting the end white, or similar things in order to get the oil to show up on it.

My car uses some oil. Not sure if it leaks or burns it--either way, it isn't enough to be obvious where it goes, but the level does drop. It needs on the order of a quart every 3 months. So check your oil to see if the level is correct first of all. After that, you'll have to dig into the manuals to see how to test the sender, or you'll have to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to double-check your stock warning light.

--DD

Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: