Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

987.2 Boxster, engine longevity?

I have been on a slow, lazy search for a P-car. Basically just looking at local cars as the pop up.

This 987.2 Boxster is at a local dealer.

https://www.ricartused.com/used/Porsche/2011-Porsche-Boxster-columbus-ohio-3a9c94a00a0e0ae83cb3a9e899180901.htm

I want a PDK/Tip, so that works. I stopped by and went over it with a fine tooth comb, looks great. Carfax shows it was hit in the rear, but no frame damage, and I can find zero evidence of it. All panel gaps good, paint correct.

LOVE the blue interior and top. Dealer put new tires on it.

That said, 88k is damn high miles. Given that it's a 2011, seems like it was someones daily driver. I've done a bit of searching, and these engines generally get pretty good marks for longevity, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Well, 2011 means no IMS, so it's got that going for it. I like low miles vehicles too, so I'd probably skip it, but if it wasn't intended to be my daily driver, then sure, why not.

The blue is nice.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-20-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
This is my generic observations of multiple cars:

With modern luxury cars, I am more concerned about the age than the miles.

Something to consider, when a car is sitting the oils in the plastic and rubber parts do not get distributed from flex, at a static load dry spots develop, these result in cracks.

Electrical relays can corrode if not used, leading to electrical problems. Use keeps the contacts clean. Same for switches.

A well used well taken care of example is a better option than a low mileage one.

I would consider up to 150,000 miles as reasonable if the car is good condition.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

88k is damn high? I think way too many people still abide by thinking from when cars were first invented. 3k oil changes? Completely unnecessary. 100k is high miles and car is done for? Absurd.

My Camry has over 200k and still drives like new. My 968 has 147k and no engine problems at all. My father's 4Runner had over 230k when he sold it 2 years ago and still sees it driving around town.

Cars today can and usually do go 200, 300, 400k or more if properly maintained.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
88k is damn high? I think way too many people still abide by thinking from when cars were first invented. 3k oil changes? Completely unnecessary. 100k is high miles and car is done for? Absurd.

My Camry has over 200k and still drives like new. My 968 has 147k and no engine problems at all. My father's 4Runner had over 230k when he sold it 2 years ago and still sees it driving around town.

Cars today can and usually do go 200, 300, 400k or more if properly maintained.
True, but maintenance costs also go up as miles accumulate even if they are just from all of the ancillary systems. That may be OK if you're mechanically inclined and you have the space and time to do your own repairs (I always have), but not everyone has the space, time and aptitude to do those repairs. If you're paying a shop or dealer to maintain your vehicle when all of the extras start going bad, it can get expensive (and be a pain while the car is being repaired if it takes days and it's your only car)

Of course, a car with higher miles probably had a much lower initial investment, and if that's the case, and you were smart and could have afforded a higher initial investment, then you should be able to afford the repairs, and potentially the rental car while it's being repaired.

I would still say that a 3 year old car with 25k miles will probably have fewer repairs needed than a 3 year old car with 100k miles. THen you've just got to way the inconvenience and repair bill vs initial investment.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-20-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
True, but maintenance costs also go up as miles accumulate even if they are just from all of the ancillary systems. That may be OK if you're mechanically inclined and you have the space and time to do your own repairs (I always have), but not everyone has the space, time and aptitude to do those repairs. If you're paying a shop or dealer to maintain your vehicle when all of the extras start going bad, it can get expensive (and be a pain while the car is being repaired if it takes days and it's your only car)

Of course, a car with higher miles probably had a much lower initial investment, and if that's the case, and you were smart and could have afforded a higher initial investment, then you should be able to afford the repairs, and potentially the rental car while it's being repaired.

I would still say that a 3 year old car with 25k miles will probably have fewer repairs needed than a 3 year old car with 100k miles. THen you've just got to way the inconvenience and repair bill vs initial investment.
It is my observation that many of those repairs are from a combination of age and disuse.

Those with driver cars have less problems per mile than those with rarely driven cars.

Admittedly, this is just from watching forums rather than comprehensive data.

Those with low mileage cars are often the ones posting problems. Those with 100,000 Miles + post about the trips they took.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I bought a manual trans 2010 Cayman S late last year with ~72k miles, now with ~80k or so. My family absolutely LOVES the car, and it may possibly be my favorite Porsche to date.

So far it's just been typical maintenance of a car of that age/mileage. Clutch safety switch, key fob battery, and an oil change. I'm planning to lube or replace the front suspension bushings (they get squeaky when the temps get above 80), replace the engine mount (adding the softest streetable poly insert at the same time), and replace the spark plugs. Seemingly if you have reasonable DIY skills then you'll be fine with this car.

While I'm not fond of the accident and auction history of that Boxster I'd have zero problems buying a reasonably priced "high" mileage 987.2. At $17,599 that car is a bargain assuming it's in good overall condition.

BTW there are a LOT of 987.2 Boxsters out there. Make sure this Boxster has most or all of the options you may want. If it doesn't then hold out until you find one that does.

987.2 Boxsters and Caymans are fantastic cars!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I bought a Cayman S about 6-9 months. Its a DFI motor, PDK with the Crono package. I have had lots of little Japanese cars that are handling monsters, Mr2, S2000. The Cayman is just so much more capable, much more then the air cool cars. A family friend is the head mechanic at LA Downtown Porsche, tells me that carbon build up on the valves are a none issue. He has seem them go 180 without major issues other then wear and tear items. I was worry about the PDK, but ensures me that if I keep up to all schedule maintenance and keep on top of oil changes, it should be good. According to him, they are tough transmissions. If it does go south, put in a new one. No rebuilt. Oh, I bought my S with a little over 68,000 on it. The interior is like a new car. It has little 80k on it now.

Last edited by look 171; 08-20-2018 at 10:11 PM..
Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Is the interior Metropol blue?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Hit in rear. For that reason alone, I’d keep looking.
1954 BMW R25/3
Old 08-21-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

It's a decent price but not an amazing one. That is a bare bones base model Boxster, and is due for a major service for both the engine and PDK if not already done. Looks clean but those are dime a dozen.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

OK price but not a deal... In that range of years/price range I'd stretch for an S.. ( I say that because I had one base, exactly like above but manual, and was much happier when I got a cayman S instead) Miles? to answer your Q I'd be more concerned about whether it's on water pump #2 or #3 by now, than the actual engine mileage. At last PDK guarantees no over revs ! I think you can find a better car with lower miles for a little more $.

Last edited by Deschodt; 08-21-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If it was 'hit in rear' I would want pictures of that hit, or actually know the driver well and ask them what kind of hit "Hit" is a very vague term ...otherwise love these cars .. Caymans, Boxsters, even Cayannes.. they all have nice things about them as far as I can tell. Would love to own something Porsche built in this century, one day..
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I really had no idea they were in the the teens already. I'm out of touch. Looking for a 09+ cayman now.

Good luck, I want to see every detail of the repair if only to help when you move on from it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
I really had no idea they were in the the teens already. I'm out of touch. Looking for a 09+ cayman now.

Good luck, I want to see every detail of the repair if only to help when you move on from it.
The S models are still in the mid 20s or up depending on milage and how well was it taken care of. I fine the none S model lacking a little in power
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Also to answer your initial question, the 9A1 is a very solid engine. I've heard a few reports of carbon build up on the valves, but that's a potential issue with many direct injection engines. As with all of the 987s, maintenance is simple and easy. I'm not super familiar with servicing the PDK but I have heard that the service is expensive and they have a few issues with higher mileage, probably worth doing some research.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
987.2 PDK is a pretty bulletproof car. Buy it, keep the fluids fresh and drive it often. I bought mine in 2015 with 45k miles on it. She now has 62k miles and 40 track days without a whimper or issue beyond brake and tire wear. Everyone I know with one in SoCal is saying the same thing. A no issues car for $15k that will give a 930 Turbo a run for it? Buy it.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 08-21-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Robust car. Get the maintenance up to date and keep it that way. You will be fine.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: