Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

question on sircular saw got short

Hi,
I have a Skill circular saw to cut concrete. Lately, it keep popping the outlet fuse, and also when I touch water while cutting, I got slight short.
Does anyone know if it's time for a new one or it can be fix?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You need to find the issue, and be very careful while you do so, or stop using it, it could kill you.

You could take at apart, the line wire is shorted to neutral, or very close to shorted.

For the price of a saw I would toss it.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Go buy a saw at a pawn shop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If it's not a saw designed to be wet cutting; DON'T (LOL) use it for wet cutting. Tile/concrete cutters for use in the wet are a different machine.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you have been cutting concrete its gonna be caked up like crazy inside. Take it all apart and clean it out
Old 08-23-2018, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Like the others said above. If youíve been cutting concrete with a Skil brand circular saw, itís toast by now. Even an expensive circular saw will be tore up cutting concrete or brick.

Toss it and get a new one.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

If you’re cutting block using a standard circular saw using water you are damn lucky to have not gotten electrocuted by now. You can get away with cutting block dry using a masonry blade but if you do it regularly, don’t expect your saw to last long (or your lungs). Either rent or buy a wet cutting saw from the local tool rental place, they will have a variety of sizes depending on what you cut.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Groundhog Day special!

(Someone please insert the toaster in the tub .gif here.)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I pointed a small stream of water right at the tip of the blade while cutting to help with the dust, not into the motor. I did look into the motor to make sure it stay dry. Anyway, I opened it up and clean the motor with no help. I do think it's time is up, just making sure that I am not tossing it out when there still is a way to fix it.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by rnln; 08-24-2018 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Ron, is this a worm drive Skill saw or a cheaper home owner type saw?

In a pinch, we will do exactly what you did with a bottle to cut granite and such. Usually with concrete, we just use a dry cutting blade. Anything larger, we call in the pros and just watch.

Sounds like your saw has seen better days.

Go to your local swap meet and pick up a saw there for a 100 bucks.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Is this thread supposed to be in the Joke thread?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Blow the saw out well and replace the brushes.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: