Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

Corporal punishment in school

Not with my kids! I'll handle their punishment, not the school. What happens if a kid is injured during paddling? Is the school absent responsibility if the parent opted in?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/georgia-school-reinstates-paddling-to-punish-students/ar-BBN9t2p?ocid=spartandhp

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Because it’s easier to hit them or threaten them with punishment than teach them respect and self discipline.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I remember the vice principle of my Middle School walking around with this huge paddle. He would ask us if we knew why there were holes in his, we shrugged our shoulders, he said it was for aerodynamics, he could come around faster and harder with it having holes in it.

None of us, EVER got that paddle the sheer thought of that giant man hitting us with it kept us pretty straight in school.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-11-2018, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
To be honest, I worried less about what the principal or teacher would do than what my dad would do if I screwed up enough to justify the principal or teacher giving me the paddle. I think part of the problem is that with the rise of the single parent home that fear has gone by the wayside.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Kantry Member

Corporal punishment can be effective.

In Jr. High, I was strapped for not doing work in class.
It was the only time I was called to the office in six years of Jr. High/Sr. High.
I lost a lot of respect for the principal that day.
I did even less work on that subject and eventually dropped the subject.

The effect is seldom what you think it will be.

Later, in university, it was a required course. I got lucky, had an excellent prof and enjoyed the material.

Best
Les
Old 09-11-2018, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I've never been hit so hard in my life. I was 10 and it was 1977. I don't believe an adult should be hitting a child especially if it's not their child.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

White and Nerdy

Garage
Perhaps the better solution is to expel those that won't behave?

Public school is free, but you have to come to learn, not to disrupt.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
The age that physical punishment would carry the most positive change is before school age.

You don't "win arguments" with a two year old about what they should and shouldn't do by not picking them up(physical) and carrying them off away from what they are doing that they are told is bad.

Consistent physical result at that age results in discipline where a school won't have to later.

Right now those that do wish to learn are held by by those that are disruptive, instead of passing that problem on to teachers send those kids back to their parents.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't be against corporal punishment in school if it weren't for the fact that i have almost zero trust or respect for many of the people who work in schools.
They already make enough stupid decisions, no sense throwing fuel on the fire.

Besides, they'd probably just go on strike demanding a raise because of the added workload
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It's not 'corporal punishment'. It is assault.

I was 'punished' by my school as a child. Should the opportunity present itself I will punish the person who did it to me. Turnabout is fair play.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

In this litigious society today, I would think long and hard before I swatted a kid, if I were the Principal. Far too many parents would make a huge ordeal out of it, and have victim rights advocates on the case in no time. The "Me Too" movement makes a victim out of anyone ever slighted for any reason.

No doubt some of these repeat offenders need a good ass kickin, but I don't think the school system should be the ones doing it.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Do not believe that schools should be handing out corporal punishment and, if used, is the parent's responsibility. Personally, do not believe in any more than a bottom slap on young kids after an egregious action with potentially horrific consequences. And not often or it loses its impact.
Got plenty of swats at school in Jr. High and a lot more whacks with belts and hands at home. All it did was make me angry and rebellious against authority for a very long time. Very counterproductive and resulted in more acting out and the need for yet more "discipline". Something wrong with a grown man swinging a paddle with two hands several times at a 13 year old bent over a desk in front of his classmates.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
I hit my kids exactly once.

Daughter was 4-5, she was being incorrigible and there were other external stressors and I lost it.

So I swatted her on the butt, once.

The look on her face I will never forget.

I watched the trust drain from her entire body.

Never again.

And in the end, completely unnecessary.

She turned into an exceptional human being.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Belted by my dad multiple times.

I have no issues with it.

The thing is, humans react to the same inputs with different outputs.

It could be an argument that the whole idea of a school system for everyone is doomed to not do as well, especially with teacher/student ratios as they are.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

My dad got the belt out a few times but never used it. He did swat my butt once with his hand thinking he heard my swear. I didn't, he heard my wrong and that was the last time.

In junior high the gym class coaches were the only to swat male students. I might have gotten it once. Stings a bit and then it's over if done right. I you swell up and can't sit, that's too hard and is not right.

So, in the end, no swatting permitted and I'm fine with that. Just suspend the little jerks. Even if they are no good, they want to be with their 'no good' friends.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Binge User

Back in the seventies it was common. I was desensitized by daily beatings at home, so they had no effect on me. I do remember one exceptional beating by my 5th grade PE teacher Mr Vandergreen. He took me into a equipment closet & administered a beating with a goalie stick that rivaled any beating my dad gave me. In my experience corporal punishment doesn't work & usually leads to abuse. My kids behaved fine without laying a hand on them.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I would think that in some cases, the punishment is feeding the desires of the person administering it more than breaking the will of the punished.

Too many teachers out that that really got off on spanking...just saying !
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

As a kid, that kind of thing was common. We got slapped in the face and whipped with switches, sticks, belts, & a barber's strop (at home). I was a disruptive kid in elementary & don't know if it was a result of my home life or not. At school, the use of a paddle was common. If my father learned I'd been disciplined at school, he'd stand me up on a stool and hit me with a belt usually. I would sort of take over the class in fifth grade. One time the teacher marched to my desk with her paddle and told me to stand up to receive a paddling. I asked her why I should stand up to let her hit me. Her response was, "Oooooh!" and whacked me on the top of the head with the paddle (cracked it down the middle). My wife is an elementary teacher & it's amazing how she is able to instill discipline and respect in her kids within a few weeks of the beginning of school. The parents are amazed. I wish I'd had somebody like her all those years ago.

Last edited by Evans, Marv; 09-11-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
If parents knew how to discipline their kids the schools wouldn't have to (discipline, not punishment).

If the schools were allowed to discipline kids, including expulsion, there would be less problems also.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
In 1st and second grade my teacher was also the principal, and a nun. There was no appeal. I did not know at that time what a bull dykestrom (-strom) was at that age and any lessons were lost with the physical stuff. I recall several times kids being denied bathroom privileges and losing their bladders at their desks and not one of us made fun of them knowing it could be us tomorrow.

Later had a teacher who liked to hide behind a wall and "clothesline" kids running through the hall by thrusting his arm out to stop our shoulders knocking kids on their but. He was promoted.

The reason teachers cannot hit kids today in my book is because they abused it when they could. As a result I still see the type of person who wants to become a teacher as a someone drawn to abusing petty power so not a fan of giving them back corporal punishment.

Last edited by reachme; 09-11-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: