Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
17 years ago....."Let's Roll!" ~ Todd Beamer

Old 09-11-2018, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Old 09-11-2018, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Old 09-11-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

My heart breaks every year for the friends, family and construction management people who I interacted with every day.

Sitting here listening to the names I am once again brought to tears.

Rest in Peace

Rob, Irene, Pete, Tony, Frank, and cousin Kevin, Lt. of Ladder 3

1985 M491
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY65912 View Post
My heart breaks every year for the friends, family and construction management people who I interacted with every day.

Rest in Peace

Sorry, Mike. Thank you for your post and your service. Never forget......
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:

Rest in Peace

Sorry Mike. I know how that day impacted me simply watching it on tv from Kansas, I cannot imagine being there and losing friends and family.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Never left, but not right

Thanks, Baz for posting about 9/11. I overlooked the date.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for reminding us...never forget.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Thanks Matt,

It's a really hard day for sure.

Still have not been able to go to the 9/11 Memorial.

1985 M491
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Thanks Matt,

I can understand why. I've been and it is very well done, but I confess that it's not a spot for dry eyes.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Quote:
Peace and Strength, my friend. You'll go when you're ready. And if that day never comes, that's perfectly fine as well. They're in your heart. That's what matters.

I was there in Nov 2016 with friends as she ran the NYC Marathon. I was there to help out. We went to the start on Staten Island, then my buddy and I made our way back to Times Square while she ran. We spent about an hour or so at the memorial.

It's really powerful. Lots of tears. I have a pic of Todd's name someplace.

I was fortunate to visit the towers twice. First time the roof was open. Just a nuts experience.
Second time was too windy. Standing at the memorial, thinking back was humbling, for sure.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Matt,

I've been to the temporary one at the subway station where the towers stood and it's just brutal. I don't blame you.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Thanks Matt,

Trust me on this, do not go there. You will be appalled by it. I was so upset by what I saw there I GTF out of there before I got into a fight with someone.

My last trip to NY was July 2001. I never went back after 9/11 and it was on purpose.

WTC was the meeting place for me, my wife and I's family is all around there from out on the island to around Manhattan and into Queens and Brooklyn. When I came up to visit we stayed in Brooklyn and always met right outside the North Tower. It was our spot.

This spring I decided to visit NY for the first time in 17 years. I stayed away from downtown for 2 of the days and was apprehensive about even going down there. I wandered around Chelsea and uptown a lot.

Then I decided to head over there, we took the subway over, the Oculas was amazing I was impressed. It has a pretty cool vibe to it and I loved how bright and open it was.

I wish I stopped there.

We wandered over to the reflection pools, my 15 y/o son was with us, he was not even alive when it happened. His older brother was not with us this trip he is 25 and I have pictures of him at 8 years old up on the observation deck and around the outside of the buildings. In 2001 there was a Milk Campaign going with the silly cows all around there and Battery Park.

My wife noticed a man sitting on a bench near her holding a watch and sobbing quietly, my wife wanted to say something but could not because she was slowly falling apart too.

Then you looked up and people are taking selfies with the reflection pond, 15 feet from this guy crying.

It was too much for us, we hastily left.

I do not think I will ever go back there.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-11-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
what? me worry?

I lost a elementary school friend that day and two other friends that day, and of course though my network of friends I learned of others who were murdered....

I was working nights on the Queensboro Bridge ( 59th ST Bridge) When I saw them testing the lights a few years ago....

I was in Red Hook, Brooklyn.. on a barge checking out steel for a job I was working on at The Marine Parkway Bridge.. when it started..

I left Red Hook, and was on my way to Marine Parkway, when I got a call from my bro ( who I work with) asking if I saw what happened at the Twin Towers...

I didn't see the fires and smoke until I was at the other jobsite..

Never Forget
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 09-11-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

A friend of my mom's turned on the tv set that day and watched her daughter (in flight 175) fly into the south tower.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Porscheholic

Garage

Todd Beamer sacrificed everything.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mike, if you ever want to go to WTC, and you want somebody to go with, call me.

Not saying you should, that's an individual choice that must be respected. But I do think the memorial and associated museum tell the story, the artifacts are there, everything, unspeakably sad.

Today I remember with pride the lives of my friends in the North Tower and pay homage to their memory.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I remember one of our guys here on Pelican Parts, Marc Weintraub, had a close call.

He had a meeting in WTC and when he arrived they said sorry the meeting has been canceled but we forgot to tell you. Marc was a bit miffed and walked out of the building right when the plane hit. As you can imagine he didn't take it well. He sold he restaurant and got out of NYC. Haven't heard from him since. I hope he's doing OK.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Like many here, I had been to the WTC prior.

I had not been back to the site as I had avoided it until March of this year when I took my children there. It was very moving and powerful.

It was is very similar experience for me as the Vietnam Memorial, even though I was born shortly after the War and my family members that went survived, I still find it a sobering experience.

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

One of my buddies from high school and college volunteers at the museum and would give me a private tour. I need to go.

I have a painting of a woman that was mistakenly given to us when we went to the Staten Island landfill to collect our property that was lost in T1 where we had a field office.

I remembered it yesterday, as I have it tucked away. I tried to return it years ago. She has to find her home.

I'm going to contact my friend today and see if he can refer me to the proper department that collects property lost.

John, I will take you up on your offer, we can lean on each other, then drink.

1985 M491
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: