Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Is the world under dressed or am I just an old fart?

I keep seeing politicians, TV hosts, news show guests, etc in a jacket with no tie and I'm thinking really? How hard is it to put a tie on and look much more presentable?

Or men in nice restaurants in T-shirts?

And don't get me started on Bill Belichick!

Is it just me?
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ties are passe. I am not even allowed to wear one where I work.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
It's the way of the world now... slovenliness...

When I started my accounting career years ago it was always tie and sportcoat, nice slacks and good shoes.

Today, I sit in my office with a black tee shirt and shorts, with hiking shoes or sandals...

There's a person that works here, a millennial, that dresses so poorly it's disgusting. Plus tattoos everywhere. She presents a terrible picture.

I'm the only normal one.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Funny. Yes, you sound old.

I think it goes too far sometimes but no complaints here about demise of ties.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Nope,

I'm with you David

It takes just a little more work to look respectful (for others and oneself) and in my eyes presentable.

But then again, I'm an old fart.

1985 M491
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Old fart. You should make this a poll
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A tie? Nobody wears a tie anymore in business. I kept two ties from the old days specifically for weddings and funerals.

Before retiring last year, my last five years of professional life was dealing with NYC venture capital, private equity, and big Corp M&A exec's. NONE of them wore ties. Suits are rare period. The standard now is nice slacks, expensive cotton shirt, and heavily tailored jacket.

Since retiring, my standard restaurant attire is flip flops, cargo shorts, and a tee shirt. If it's a nice restaurant, I'll wear a golf shirt with a collar left untucked....I might even make an effort to match my flip flops to my golf shirt...but that's gotta be a really nice restaurant.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I know what you mean, I miss the days when people cared about their appearance.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I actually like the no tie look; provided it's accompanied by a sharp jacket/sport coat, nice shirt, pants, belt, and shoes. And it all needs to fit properly!!! That's what I notice; poorly fitting clothes that are out dated.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Obviously there are occasions when, yes, it should be a suit WITH a tie!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 09-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
A tie? Nobody wears a tie anymore in business...
No kidding. I am immediately suspicious when someone comes to the office wearing a tie.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
It's the way of the world now... slovenliness...

Fashion evolves. I'll bet a slob as yourself doesn't so much as bother with a ruff; you probably showed up at the office today without a doublet or a rapier, either.
Various VWs
Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My office has a dress code but nobody follows it. My boss regularly wears tennis shoes. I saw a woman who worked upstairs wearing stripper heels one day, but their dept has moved to another building. You also used to have a collar on your shirt, but it looks like you can wear t-shirts now, not that anyone in my dept does.

Quote:
Unacceptable
Bare feet and / or legs
Clothing that does not cover the midriff section of the body (in a standing or sitting position).
Sweatshirts (including Company logo wear)
T-Shirts with advertising, cartoon characters, slogans, etc.; oversized T-shirts, Tops or dresses that are: tank, halter, spaghetti strap, backless, off the shoulder, sheer, low neckline, cropped. (Sleeveless tops / dresses are permitted)
Transparent fabrics
Exposed Undergarments
Workout wear (also includes spandex)
Flannel and denim material of any color/pattern.
Drawstring/gathered leg pants, pants above mid-calf, sweatpants, spandex leggings, low-rise pants showing skin below the waist and painter pants.
Skirts that are shorter than 2 inches above the knee; mini skirts
Highly casual sandals, Flip flops or sandals that have straps/material between the toes.
‘Crocks’ footwear
Hiking / work boots
Athletic shoes (exceptions to this rule need management approval)
Bib overall style pants / dresses
Shorts of any length

Acceptable
Tops must have appropriate neckline (no cleavage)
T-shirts, plain or Company Logo. Company Logo apparel is acceptable (excluding sweatshirts) if it is in good condition.
Vests, Blazers, Sweaters
Dress pants, Dressy Corduroy Pants, Dressy capris and cropped pants (must wear hosiery as you would with a dress/skirt), cotton twill pants (like Dockers)
Jewelry must be minimal and worn in good taste
Clothing must be clean and well-fitted.
Business Footwear: Professional slip on or tie-up dress shoes; sandals; canvas footwear; clean and in good repair. Open-toed shoes are acceptable.
Dresses, skirts, jumpers and skirt-type gauchos are acceptable and should be no more than two inches above the knee.

Jeans: Jeans, other apparel made of denim material and sweatshirts with the Company logo may be worn on Fridays (exceptions permitted at manager’s discretion). Jeans cannot be tattered, worn, bleached or faded, or have any holes. All other guidelines within this policy shall apply.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Guys that wear ties and jackets are like guys that wear suspenders and belts. Doing both just looks stupid. Pick one or the other.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Ties are passe. I am not even allowed to wear one where I work.
I don't think that's legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
A tie? Nobody wears a tie anymore in business. I kept two ties from the old days specifically for weddings and funerals.

Before retiring last year, my last five years of professional life was dealing with NYC venture capital, private equity, and big Corp M&A exec's. NONE of them wore ties. Suits are rare period. The standard now is nice slacks, expensive cotton shirt, and heavily tailored jacket.

Since retiring, my standard restaurant attire is flip flops, cargo shorts, and a tee shirt. If it's a nice restaurant, I'll wear a golf shirt with a collar left untucked....I might even make an effort to match my flip flops to my golf shirt...but that's gotta be a really nice restaurant.
That's too bad as one of the reasons I go to a nice restaurant is to leave the Taco Bell crowd at the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I actually like the no tie look; provided it's accompanied by a sharp jacket/sport coat, nice shirt, pants, belt, and shoes. And it all needs to fit properly!!! That's what I notice; poorly fitting clothes that are out dated.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Obviously there are occasions when, yes, it should be a suite WITH a tie!
Even at funerals and weddings I see very casual dress. Since I'm an old fart, I wear a black suit with a subtle tie although I avoid these occasions. As such, my suit is out of date now. I might be better off dressing down a bit with some nice duds. I'm sure a black jacket and dark gray pants would be acceptable.

An observation: until my wife's retirement we usual attended the annual holiday party put on by our port, one of the largest in the US. You could easily spot the higher ups and politicians. Lower management always seemed to dress the part. And it seems the ladies always have a nice cocktail dress on, including my wife, no matter how the husband presents himself. That alone was a good reason to suit up.

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg? If you're aspiring, shouldn't you join the ranks of those above you in dress?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Why wear a tie when you can really stand out with an ascot?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thing that gets me is air travel. I go to London regularly and the outfits some folks come up with make you laugh out loud; heading to London in February and I routinely see shorts, flip flops, baseball hat, tats and a muscle T shirt. Have fun waiting for a bus, wanker.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I just came back from a few weeks in Germany. The majority of men on the street were wearing sweatpants. WTF?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

LOLz, lariat/bolo, anyone:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
Why wear a tie when you can really stand out with an ascot?

Michael was always a snappy dresser.

We have 3 rules at work:

- No flip flops
- No ripped jeans
- if I have to read your tee shirt to assess whether it is inappropriate, its inappropriate. Works quite well.

Last edited by peteremsley; 09-11-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: