Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
That's too bad as one of the reasons I go to a nice restaurant is to leave the Taco Bell crowd at the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post

wow.

some of the most pleasant moments I've experienced in my life were sharing a beer and cigarette on the dirty stoop behind a restaurant I worked at with people who routinely visited taco bell. perhaps it was the honest conversation that I enjoyed the most. something very much missing from the 5 star restaurant crowd.
I know, right.

Unfortunately, many of the patrons at very high-end trendy restaurants are there for pretentious reasons.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Sweet! Funny...
LOLz! Posting from a phone never works well for me! Yes, that would be suit!!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 09-11-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Tie, hell, I don't even wear underwear anymore.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
Suite never owned one of them shirts with the contrasting cuffs and collar. I feel like I should
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

GM has it right. "Dress appropriately". That is their policy now. Figure out, you have a job and are supposed to be an adult.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Dress varies by location and culture. It's always been that way. Norms change but not that much, really. It's all about dressing for the norm, wherever you might be. Most of the USA is very hot in the summer and people wear shorts and light clothing as much as possible.

Some people are just slobs and cannot look presentable no matter what. Someone can look very presentable in shorts and a golf shirt if their clothes are clean and they practice good personal hygiene. Here in Los Angeles, I can go almost anywhere dressed this way. In Malibu, even at Nobu, it's unlikely to see anyone wearing a suit, ever.

Growing up, my dad wore a nice suit and tie everyday to work. He was a lawyer and it was the norm in his professional world. He was always well dressed even when not working, quality shirts and sweaters, nice shoes, etc. I try to be presentable even in my extremely informal world, which means looking in a mirror before leaving home and wearing clean shirts and shorts or jeans. One thing I've unfortunately had to come to grips with is that what you can get away with @ 25 or 30, (anything), can look pathetic on an older guy. That worn out t-shirt and ball cap that was ok then makes you look homeless in your 50s.

It's obvious by looking around that some people just throw in the towel on their looks in middle age, (if they ever cared), but anyone can look presentable for others. Not talking about extreme vanity, (which makes people look like a fool, IMO), just clean clothes and hygiene, etc.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
@rockfan4 the "no bare legs" seems a bit strict. Women have not worn hosiery for years. Even somewhat 'dressed up'.
The dress code I brought up was dated over 10 years ago, and was probably copied from somewhere else with no changes. I've been waiting for it to change so I can start wearing flannel again like I did in the 90's, hanging out listening to grunge. There seems to be a lot of detail in it about what women can't wear. I envision nuns checking the length of skirts at the door.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
Right on right on!
That's why the gold diggers in Malibu didn't give us a second glance.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I haven't made it, but still don't care about impressing anybody! If I can't wear shorts or jeans to dinner I'm not going. The only exception is for business.
I agree. My dress code is t-shirt and shorts all the time in summer. If we are going to eat at a nice restaurant and meeting another couple, I will put on a Polo shirt with Gasp, a BUTTON and call that dress up. When the weather gets cold, I break out the jeans. Still in short sleeved t-shirts unless it is really cold.

I have not had on a tie since my dad's funeral. I plan to never wear a tie ever again.

For me dressed up is a pair of Dockers, and a real shirt with buttons all the way from top to bottom in the front. Still short sleeves. And brown shoes that are not walking shoes.
I only have one formal long sleeved shirt. I got married in it. I doubt it fits. I don't care.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I was in Mexico City in May for a few days and was very struck by how many of the people were dressed to the nines. Very impressed.
When I lived in Atlanta I was struck by how well dressed kids were in general there. I'd see girls wearing nice dresses (in the Midwest, you hardly ever see dresses anymore). Boys wearing button-down shirts and slacks. I also saw far more adults in nice suits.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

I've heard 2 different schools of thought on this
1) dress for the job you want, not the job you have

and

2) dress to the level of your client - ie: if you are meeting with a farmer, then jeans are acceptable. if meeting with an attorney or other professional, coat and slacks
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
That's why the gold diggers in Malibu didn't give us a second glance.
LOL! Exactly!

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
I can't disagree.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
It's the way of the world now... slovenliness...

When I started my accounting career years ago it was always tie and sportcoat, nice slacks and good shoes.

Today, I sit in my office with a black tee shirt and shorts, with hiking shoes or sandals...

There's a person that works here, a millennial, that dresses so poorly it's disgusting. Plus tattoos everywhere. She presents a terrible picture.

I'm the only normal one.
You mean a real Skank...can you introduce her to me..

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
The last time I wore a tie was for the interview for my current job, which was via Skype with webcam on. Of course, I was wearing no pants or shoes, but I looked nice on the webcam. That was 18 months ago. We are not allowed to wear ties at trade shows. It's actually a policy. So I'll probably only ever wear a tie again for weddings and funerals.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I agree. My dress code is t-shirt and shorts all the time in summer. If we are going to eat at a nice restaurant and meeting another couple, I will put on a Polo shirt with Gasp, a BUTTON and call that dress up. When the weather gets cold, I break out the jeans. Still in short sleeved t-shirts unless it is really cold.

I have not had on a tie since my dad's funeral. I plan to never wear a tie ever again.

For me dressed up is a pair of Dockers, and a real shirt with buttons all the way from top to bottom in the front. Still short sleeves. And brown shoes that are not walking shoes.
I only have one formal long sleeved shirt. I got married in it. I doubt it fits. I don't care.
You wear Dockers...man how Gauche...at least put on a pair of Dragin azz blues...

I think a nice pair of lite weight wool Zanella's would be more like it...

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 09-11-2018, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
TMI! TMI!

I like to dress up... unfortunately I'm a sweaty guy and most of the time it is just too darn hot in SoCal to wear a jacket and tie.

Funny, in the shop this morning we were talking about people wearing pajamas in public (adults)... maybe okay if you are a hot chick... come to think of it hot chicks get a pass on spandex an yoga pants in public too.

THAT's IT! It is all a the hot chicks fault!!!

"In the future all restaurants will be taco bell"
Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
So now we know that the Brown stripe on the back of your pants is from Skid marks on the inside....

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 09-11-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
There is difference between dressing casually and being slovenly. A guy wearing a dirty seed corn cap and a wife beater in a restaurant is just a slob.
A local, nationally known local steak house used to keep ties on hand if a “gentleman” showed up without a tie. Now the draw the line at shorts and/or tee shirts
I like dressing up and going out with MrsWD, but I have a trophy wife who makes it worth it

It’s not just dress, there has been a decline in general decorum. Look at what comes out of the mouths of our politicians.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 09-11-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: