Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back in the saddle again

Running for exercise, we nailed a goal!

Many of you have seen and/or commented on the couple of threads that I have had since this spring on running. The missus started running this year just before the end of Feb and I started a couple of weeks later. This whole time, weve been running three days per week, but she did have almost two months that she took off for a broken toe and I slacked a bunch during that time as well. Shes never been a runner, and I ran some in HS, but I was never super competitive. I just turned 48 and shes 8 years older than I am.

Last weekend she ran 5.7 ish outside, and a couple of days before that she ran 6.2 on the treadmill Ive been running 6-6.3 miles for a bit (in 60-65 mins).

Tonight on the treadmill she managed 6.75 miles and I ran 8.5 miles (86 mins for both)

This coming Sun, we are going to run a 10k in Seattle (Carnation, really). Beat The Blerch - Beat The Blerch is a 5K, 10K, half marathon, and full marathon inspired by this comic about running. Organized by The Oatmeal, these races are a way for you to figuratively (and literally) Beat The Blerch.

Weve reached our goal. We arent going to stop. Wed both like to get our times for 10k down. Im currently running anywhere from a 10-10.5 min mile and shes running about 12-12.5 min mile. Id like to get down to 8 or less, and shed like to get down to 10. I think I could manage a half marathon pretty easily at the pace that Im going. Im not sure that I want to run for that long though. But who knows, by next year this time, maybe Ill be running faster and Ill want to run 13.1 miles.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congrats on doing that at your age.........You have my respect......

I started running at age 14 to get in shape for Jr High football.......Ran on pavement for 25 years before running shoes were even thought of....Used to run to work and back; 5 miles each way ..Once did a 5 mile race in 35.40.......Under 6 minute miles in the Academy.....It ruined my feet, knees and hips......Haven't been able to run in 25 yrs and now hobble like the old man that I am..........
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats to you and your better half! I was never much of an athlete, but I do enjoy running. Feels good to me, but I'm very careful to not overdo it and get hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Kudos to you, and your wife, far better than I have ever done. I wasn't much of a runner even though I played basketball, and track-n-field being a high/long jumper with a 38" verticle jump.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
Congrats on doing that at your age.........You have my respect......

I started running at age 14 to get in shape for Jr High football.......Ran on pavement for 25 years before running shoes were even thought of....Used to run to work and back; 5 miles each way ..Once did a 5 mile race in 35.40.......Under 6 minute miles in the Academy.....It ruined my feet, knees and hips......Haven't been able to run in 25 yrs and now hobble like the old man that I am..........
I was going to mention this same thing. I played football,etc., when I was younger and viewed running as a form of punishment, so I never did it voluntarily until my wife talked me into it (she ran and actually enjoyed it). I started when I was about 42 (?) and ran 10-12 miles a week and the occasional 5k for about 8 years.

It destroyed my knees (or seriously exacerbated the destruction). The orthopedic surgeon who looked at the x-rays told me to never run again.

I know that it's got to be part genetics, etc., but running causes wear on your joints for sure. I am currently living a life of pain (at 54 years old) that I might have avoided if it wasn't for hundreds of miles of running...
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Respect. I know how hard it is.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Paco Anton
Be careful as It only gets worse. I started like you some 5-6 years ago. I went from a 5k to a 10k, then half marathon, full marathon. Then I switched to trail races, then ultras. Doing my first 100k this Saturday 😮
Old 09-12-2018, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco Anton View Post
Be careful as It only gets worse. I started like you some 5-6 years ago. I went from a 5k to a 10k, then half marathon, full marathon. Then I switched to trail races, then ultras. Doing my first 100k this Saturday 😮
Wow, you are insane. I think there's very little chance that I'll ever end up running ultras. I just don't want to run for that long. I think it's unlikely that I'll even want to do a full marathon. I could possibly see myself doing a half marathon, but even that's a lot of running.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Congratulations Steve! What is your age?
Please be careful. I did not get properly evaluated by a sports doc and ended up wrecking my feet. I did get in a few full marathons, but missed my goal of doing Paris, New York, and Rome. I only made it to Paris.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco Anton View Post
Congratulations on these achievements.
Best wishes for everything to line up during your 100.

I only did a few marathons, but just to darn big for the pounding. What knocked me out about 15 years ago was an IT band problem. Painful when NOT running ok when running. After about 10 years of suffering with that I went to PT and poof, problem solved!

My orthopedic surgeon told me that I was one of the lucky ones and at 62 had the knees a twenty year old would envy. I don't run anymore (but the thought had crossed my mind); I hike trails with my old marathoning friends. It is a great way to lose the weight and stay nimble.

My PRs happened later in life, 3:15 Marathon at 48 (Long Beach), 1:21 half and 48 but my real speed was 10k at 38:02 at 48 and on the same day a PR 5k 18:12. Ran the LB Marathon and that was where I broke.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was always physically active throughout my life but always hated running, although I've hiked, backpacked, & climbed more miles than crossing the U.S and half way back before my early 30s. When I was about 43, I decided I should start running to avoid getting a gut. Started out walking and running, then running. After running for somewhat over a week, my knees began to hurt. I figured they were adjusting to the stress. After another week, they started swelling. Went to an orthopedist who X-rayed them & said I couldn't run anymore. He claimed I could walk or hike as much as I wanted, but the jarring caused by running negated doing that.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I think it's unlikely that I'll even want to do a full marathon. I could possibly see myself doing a half marathon, but even that's a lot of running.
That exactly what I thought a few years ago... lol

83 SC Targa (Euro)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
You sound highly motivated.

Just remember, every one of the over 200 dead people on Mt Everest were once highly motivated individuals.

Good luck with your running.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
You sound highly motivated.

Just remember, every one of the over 200 dead people on Mt Everest were once highly motivated individuals.

Good luck with your running.
Hahahahah
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
"Obesity runs in my family"
"Nobody runs in your family"
Various VWs
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
---snip---but the jarring caused by running negated doing that.
Jarring - the key word here.

I prefer cycling to running because of just that.

If anything - a mini-triathlon (run 5K, bike 10K, swim 1/4 mile) would be the trick.

I was doing some of those back in the 90's and it felt SO good!

Now it's just cycling...but congrats on your achievements, Steve - and good luck this weekend!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Jarring - the key word here.

I prefer cycling to running because of just that.

If anything - a mini-triathlon (run 5K, bike 10K, swim 1/4 mile) would be the trick.

I was doing some of those back in the 90's and it felt SO good!

Now it's just cycling...but congrats on your achievements, Steve - and good luck this weekend!
I grew up in FL in and around water. I swam a bunch, but I've never really been a distance swimmer. 1/4 mile swim would be good for me if it didn't kill me first.

A bike ride would be good other than the seats being a form of torture and the fact that the drivers in Houston are the worst.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I grew up in FL in and around water. I swam a bunch, but I've never really been a distance swimmer. 1/4 mile swim would be good for me if it didn't kill me first.

A bike ride would be good other than the seats being a form of torture and the fact that the drivers in Houston are the worst.
Ha.....10-4 on the cycling part. Having a good - safe route is paramount!

I was living in Lehigh Acres at the time and in that area (Ft. Myers) there are a TON of great areas for cycling - unlike where I re-located to (here in NSB) in '95. I used to meet up with a small group of guys once a week and we had a route through a subdivision that ended with the swim in a lake. All very safe. I know the swim is supposed to be done first for safety reasons but since this was a private affair, there wasn't any legal ramifications and the water was a fantastic refresher to finish off with.

I might get back into something like this now that I'm easing back on my business obligations. I've missed it a LOT!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

The missus wanted to go down and run today. I told her that since we were so close, everything that I was seeing said that the week before should be a recovery week, so exercise at 40-60% of your normal workout. Maybe bump up the pace to your target race pace, but drop the run-time back. I explained it to her, and she seemed OK with it. Her normal 10K runtime is about 1hr 17min, so she said "we'll run for 55mins". She's more driven than I am. I was thinking 30-45, but then for me with a 10k time of about 63-65mins, that would have been 50-75% of my normal.

I guess I thought I might run faster and then quit at closer to 30-45 mins, but I didn't, so I ended up running the 56 mins, and managed the 6.2 miles in that time which was 7 mins faster than my previous 6.2mile time. She also bumped her speed up, but didn't go the full 6.2. She did however end up running a full hour. We are both pretty happy and not really feeling like we over did it. I think the cool weather, as long as it's not too cold should really help my pace. Maybe we'll both knock a few more mins off our personal best, but if not, that's fine. I'm looking at this more as a fun run than anything competitive.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
They say (and I've experienced it) that when you first take up a phisical activity, there is a lot of improvement in the first 5-7 years. Enjoy it and do not over stretch yourself.

83 SC Targa (Euro)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: