Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What Would You Do? Cycling Along Then A Diesel Truck Deliberately Rolls Coal On You

Cycling on the road is always an adventure.

Cycling on the road in Houston is an adventure times two.

Anyhoo, yesterday I was enjoying a serene 35 mile bike ride yesterday on a fairly quiet road (minimal traffic) when a POS in a lifted and modified Powerstroke decided to coast along next to me and then floor the throttle engulfing me in black diesel exhaust or "rolling coal" as its termed these days.

He took off but then up ahead I saw him pulled into an apartment building complex and I was able to follow-him. Typically I shrug off these things as I see and experience so many inconsiderate and distracted drivers, this time I knew his actions were deliberate and appalling.

He was shocked to see me pull up to his door as he was getting out of his truck and then there was a very heated exchange between us with much profanity. He accused me of hogging the road and slowing down traffic, when in actuality I was maybe 24" from the curb and he had a clear lane to go around me (as the road is four lanes wide). Clearly he was being a wise a$$ and immature and I wasn't having it...I was quite upset.

What would you guys do?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Are you carrying? I had a guy in a black Audi sedan throw a bottle at me on 105 out by Montgomery when I lived on Lake Conroe.

I would probably not have confronted him, rather used the knowledge of where he lived to advantage. He maybe will be looking for you in the future.

Mark Twain

Last edited by Tobra; 01-28-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

I would have called the cops and had him charged with assault.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Are you carrying? I had a guy in a black Audi sedan throw a bottle at me on 105 out by Montgomery when I lived on Lake Conroe.
If not, why not?

This has actually become a serious problem on many of the roads this time of year. Lots of people out training for the MS150. Waller county is becoming a very frustrating area. Not sure where you were riding, but this happens quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I've seen worse. We had a truck extend his mirrors and try to clip some riders. We have had people hit and run this way. I do understand their frustration, but you do have as much right to be on the road as they do.

And I see it as an unfortunate trend. People are much less courteous than they used to be. And this really shows in Texas.

How fast are you riding these days? I know quite a few people in the JV area who ride with 713.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
When I lived in SF, an RV clipped me with a mirror, could not catch him up that hill by USF A taxi bumped me into a parked car on the bicycle once too. Caught up and knocked his front seat passenger window in for him with the trusty Kryptonite lock. His fare just about shat himself.

Mark Twain
Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

could have waited until he was gone to exact your revenge upon the bro-dozer. Maybe a drawing of a bicycle upon his doors...with a hammer. Rednecks suck.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
could have waited until he was gone to exact your revenge upon the bro-dozer. Maybe a drawing of a bicycle upon his doors...with a hammer. Rednecks suck.
Honestly, I bet it wasn't a redneck. I expect it was a "City-Dude"...
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
If not, why not?

This has actually become a serious problem on many of the roads this time of year. Lots of people out training for the MS150. Waller county is becoming a very frustrating area. Not sure where you were riding, but this happens quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I've seen worse. We had a truck extend his mirrors and try to clip some riders. We have had people hit and run this way. I do understand their frustration, but you do have as much right to be on the road as they do.

And I see it as an unfortunate trend. People are much less courteous than they used to be. And this really shows in Texas.

How fast are you riding these days? I know quite a few people in the JV area who ride with 713.

James - I'm averaging 17-18mp/h and ride from JV down to Memorial park and then head back.

I hear you that many drivers are frustrated when having to wait to pass a group of 20-30 riders but I was by myself and always cycle in the roadside ditch adjacent to broken glass and debris. I always try and give vehicles the most width as possible.

You're right though, on our roads courtesy and patience are qualities long gone....sadly.

I pride myself by being a calm person, but I am disappointed (maybe "shocked"?) how I lost it at this pond scum and certainly let him have it. My grandpa taught me to avoid confrontation but never let someone push you around.

LeeH - My wife said the same thing, charge him with assault. Then she said it would suck if he woke up in the morning and his 35" $1500 tires were all slashed and the truck was covered in Rustoleum yellow with pictures of penises all around it!

Last edited by slow&rusty; 01-28-2019 at 06:31 AM..
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
A simple but effective means of letting him know is to covertly remove and toss the valve stem guts on at least two of his tires. Put the caps back on like nothing happened. They'll spend a long time trying to figure out why the tires are flat on the bottoms.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
A simple but effective means of letting him know is to covertly remove and toss the valve stem guts on at least two of his tires. Put the caps back on like nothing happened. They'll spend a long time trying to figure out why the tires are flat on the bottoms.
Nice, and you haven't actually damaged them at that point. They can acquire a new valve and re-inflate and be on their way, assuming they are smart enough to do any of that.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-28-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Hempstead used to be a great road for riding. Wide and not too much traffic on the weekends. With the US290 construction, it is the alternative route.

Our "Tacos and espresso" ride was 15 miles down to El Rey on Washington, have tacos, then ride back. 30 miles round trip, all year long.

Have either of you considered Zube park with Northwest Cycles? Steve definitely needs some group riding training with the spouse. 2 exits past TX-99 is Roberts Road. Go north about 1.5 miles to Zube park. Northwest Cycles meets there every Saturday for group rides.

https://nwcc.bike/rides/zube-rides/saturday-morning-rides
Old 01-28-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

contaminate his diesel with water *cough* *def*. I highly doubt if he lives in an apartment and rolls coal, he's not doing regular maintenance....

IRR... What IRR!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Nice, and you haven't actually damaged them at that point. They can acquire a new valve and re-inflate and be on their way, assuming they are smart enough to do any of that.
Yeah, I'd never damage anyone's tires, but cause them more than a little inconvenience, sure, especially if they did that to me while riding my bike.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
contaminate his diesel with water *cough* *def*. I highly doubt if he lives in an apartment and rolls coal, he's not doing regular maintenance....
I once knew a guy that fixed diesel tractors for a living. He said kids would put honey in the tanks for fun. That reeked a lot of havoc too.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
I prefer to back each stem out 1/2 turn then put the caps back on. I figure that way they will have a hell of a time figuring out the problem, with no actual damage.

A stem cap with valve extension fits easily on a key fob.

So far I have only done that to a couple cars that "parked me in".
Old 01-28-2019, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Functionista

The discrepancy of speed between cyclists and vehicles is downright dangerous. Especially with drunks and opioid abusers. Lot of cyclist and pedestrian deaths here last year.

That said I would avoid confrontations. Back inna day we would have just jammed a potato super deep in their exhaust pipe. Guess this guy would require a cantaloupe...
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
Gasoline would work and appreciably cut down on exhaust particulates but perhaps contribute to oil sump particulates. The added benefit is that it would void a warranty. This DB went out of his way to F with you, seems fair he experience the same.

Last edited by pavulon; 01-28-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Old 01-28-2019, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
first step..if houston is that bad, invest in those bike cameras. front and back.

get video evidence of the next round of bullchit.

second. call the cops to see if there is anything they can do.

it would have taken great restraint to not knock on his door like you did, but being older and wiser..you know.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Get a bike cam front and back.

I think the fact that you made him aware you aren't some puss and he had to own his childish behavior is good enough. Anything beyond that risks getting YOU in trouble.

You COULD call the police and tell them the guy purposely tried to temporarily blind you and potentially cause you to veer into oncoming traffic thus risking your life.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I wouldn't ride that same road again.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: