Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
least common denominator

Snoring/sleep apnea thread

Yeah I will talk to my Dr or better yet just google it but it is more fun to post here and let you guys make fun of me.

Long story short my snoring is disrupting our marital bliss.

My wife immediately jumps to "get a sleep apnea test!".

I tried the mouth guard things but I sleep on my stomach and those things make me drool plus they dig into my gums on the side of the pillow my face rests on.

Apnea test/mask I'm a extremely light sleeper so I don't see me getting through a test with a bunch of sensors strapped to me, cameras filming me, and a mask strapped to my face (I'm borderline claustrophobic so the mask thing almost scares me).

They have apps you can load on the phone but most of them just listen to you and record when they sense you snoring, don't think my wife is lying about the snoring.

Another gadget you put an inflatable bladder under your pillow and it connects to a device that listens to you and inflates the pillow, not sure what to make of that.

Anyone found something that works?

Oh and she snores too, this is obviously a case of sexual discrimination!!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's not just the snoring to be concerned about. Sleep Apena is hard on your heart and can cut years off your life. Make an appointment with a Sleep Doc and follow his/her advice.
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This guy i know didn't have time/patience for all the paperwork, red tape, and BS associated with this type of thing. I know, shock.

So he bought a good used CPAP machine on craigslist, a new mask and hose through amazon, and a (slightly used) soclean 2 machine complete with new filter and check valve (also on craigslist). Total outlay so far around $350.

A couple years later, he's happy as a clam with no apnea problems.
That is to say he's still grouchy but sleeps 100 times better and doesn't have a headache when he wakes up and isn't tired all day.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

As expected my report from WebMD:

The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

Loud snoring
Episodes in which you stop breathing during sleep — which would be reported by another person
Gasping for air during sleep
Awakening with a dry mouth
Morning headache
Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
Difficulty paying attention while awake
Irritability

From that list I have only #1
I'm 62 and other wise in pretty good health.
I am about 20 pounds over weight and have a bad habit of taking a 'nightcap' both of which exasperate the problem.

Trust me my wife is leading the charge on 'get to a sleep Dr!' but as I said I don't see me being able to sleep under the conditions I have seen/heard of... not sure how much help a sleep test is if you can't get to sleep.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Just this morning my bladder woke me up at 5:44 AM. I figured I could ignore it until the alarm went off. An instant later it was 7:15, it was like time travel. I fell asleep and was out until the alarm went off.

I never wake up gasping for breath, and usually sleep like a teenager.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
It's not just the snoring to be concerned about. Sleep Apena is hard on your heart and can cut years off your life. Make an appointment with a Sleep Doc and follow his/her advice.
What Bob said.
Get a sleep study done. The snoring may have something to do with you being a "light sleeper."
I was totally depressed when my doc sent me for a sleep study and I found out I needed a CPAP machine. I thought, "Another step toward the grave/not being the man I used to be. First arthritis, now this..."
I eventually got used to it and now I can really tell if I fall asleep and don't use it. I wake up with a sore throat and feeling like crap.
The sleep study showed that I woke up 18 times in 7 hours if sleep. I never became fully conscious, but my brain activity was out of the "sleeping" range. I never entered REM sleep at all, and you need that. I used to have dreams every night that I couldn't sleep. I dreamed that I was laying there awake and feeling tortured because I needed sleep so bad. The thing was, I was asleep (barely) and just dreaming that I was awake. That totally went away when I started using the CPAP.
I use the full mask. It took a couple of months to get used to it, but it was worth it.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmandue View Post
My wife immediately jumps to "get a sleep apnea test!".
If you have sleep apnea you can get the back of your throat reamed out and insurance will cover. Recovery is horrid, I understand.

There is the tube down the throat thing while you sleep. I don't know if that's a common remedy.

I have tried this and that but if I am heavy, I snore. Full stop. When I get skinnier it backs off.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:

The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

Loud snoring
Episodes in which you stop breathing during sleep — which would be reported by another person
Morning headache
Irritability

Are you sure?

I didn't know I had any of these until I did a sleep study.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
... not sure how much help a sleep test is if you can't get to sleep.
You would think they could spot you and Ambien but maybe that changes sleep patterns?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My Dad snored, had sleep apnea and used a CPAP for probably 25 years or more. The last 18 months of his life in assisted living he slept like a baby every night without the CPAP machine but rather a very quiet oxygen concentrator with a cannula set at 2 liters/minute. He lived to be 98. You might consider trying that for a few nights before dealing with the mask and all that garbage.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Before you do a sleep test I would suggest getting a tape recorder(I used my old Sony one)and hear what you sound like when you sleep. The result may or may not corroborate what your wife says.

Many years ago I went for a sleep study and with all the wires attached to me I could not sleep. I asked the technician if I could take half a sleeping pill so I could sleep.
I got sufficient sleep for the interpreting doc to analyse the data. I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. I had very little snoring.

I am not a med professional so take these suggestions as you see fit. Having said that a med doc would likely recommend a sleep study.

Cheers, Guy
Old 03-05-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Loud snoring
Morning headache
Irritability

I had at eight from that list (of nine), now have zero.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Do the test. Just do it and find out.

I was a stomach sleeper too, and getting onto my back and side was tough. It took several months to get used to. In the end, it was worth it.

Last edited by Halm; 03-05-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I had at eight from that list (of nine), now have zero.
Sammy, sammy, sammy don't you know this whole sleep apnea thing is a scam by the guberment? They use the masks to CONTROL YOUR MIND!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Sammy, sammy, sammy don't you know this whole sleep apnea thing is a scam by the guberment? They use the masks to CONTROL YOUR MIND!
You should see my con-trails!

Didja notice I said I had zero from that list now and no one has called me on the irritability thing? Yet

Last edited by sammyg2; 03-05-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I had the sleep study. Worst night of my life, sleep-wise. I’m thinking that study is gonna be completely invalid because I don’t think I slept one minute if at all.

Report came back with ‘mild apnea’. I wonder what severe apnea is like.

As far as the OP goes, I’m not allowed to have inflatables in bed. You prolly won’t be, either.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Didja hear about the ISIS sex doll?

it blows itself up.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i dont snore..unless i'm sleeping drunk.

what about strapping on a FitBit for a few nights to track your sleep unscientifically? my wife did occasionally, and that thing spewed forth a pretty detailed report of her night's sleep. (on her iphone)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled sixtie View Post
I got sufficient sleep for the interpreting doc to analyse the data. I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. I had very little snoring.

Cheers, Guy
Wife also suspects restless leg syndrome (and she is NOT a Dr.) but curious what if anything did your Dr. recommend about that?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Wife also suspects restless leg syndrome (and she is NOT a Dr.) but curious what if anything did your Dr. recommend about that?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: