Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Golden Retrievers, Bob. Real sweethearts, as you said. Love the vid...lol....

That's a cool looking place you have there in Japan, Dan!
Thanks! The brother and sister Golden’s we have are lovely dogs. Japanese Shiba Inu on the other hand can be temperamental in my experience.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Bollweevil

The flange and the exhaust pipe parted ways on my ancient JD LT160 (has 900+ hours on it) a couple of days ago. I have been soaking the nuts/studs holding the flange to the head as one of them is a bit rusty. Will heat the nuts as hot as I can get them using a propane torch (it's all I've got) and hope neither one snaps off. If one snaps I don't think there is any way I could ever drill it out. If they come off ok I will order a muffler, if not then decision time ??

Old 03-12-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
UPS delivered new draft blower assembly for the water heater. I went home, installed it, water is heating now. The family is besides themselves. You'd think they were the Donner Party. A few days without hot water, you can't imagine the whining.

The motor was out but only the entire $250 assembly is sold. Well I just found a used motor on eBay and I'm buying it, so that I have a complete replacement assembly ready for the next time our family faces certain death by cold shower. Sheesh
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

I’m fixing my vintage house

I bought an old 50s piece of shot house
It’s all I could afford

I thought about ripping out the crappy kitchen and installing a clean new cheap ikea kitchen

Then I realized that I have a 50s kitchen
A50s kitchen is all the rage

So I am restoring it
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html

Last edited by wayner; 03-14-2019 at 11:29 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Oh yes, restore don't replace that!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Learned a new one today or my memory was refreshed.

Rotors and pads on a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. Rotors are turn-able with 70k. Shop down the road has a machine. $10 cash each.

Put them on with pads and new bracket hardware. Brakes are vicious yet there are scratchy noises......everywhere. Rotational rubbing.

Turns out there is slag rust on the outside diameter of the turned rotors 1/32nd to 1/16th inch thick. Rubs on the new bracket tin.

All four wheels off, tippy tap with a hammer to shatter off the rust build up. Silent now.

Had I known or remembered this, it was only a 10 minute job max to tap the grunge off when on the bench.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Registered

Current project is a 1962 Moon Rocket slide.

It's currently in a million pieces so putting it all back together and up in our yard should keep me busy for a bit.

Weighs about 3000# so may take a little help to place.

Photo is not my slide but the same make & model.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That is the coolest thing. Reminds me of the Wallace and Gromit go to the moon movie!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey fan View Post

It's currently in a million pieces so putting it all back together and up in our yard should keep me busy for a bit.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
That is the coolest thing. Reminds me of the Wallace and Gromit go to the moon movie!
We wanted one forever but there aren't a ton of them left. Over the years safety regulations forced most of them to be removed from school and park playgrounds. There used to be thousands of them across the country and there's currently about 60 or so still standing.

It's hard to explain but my wife and I feel like just looking outside and seeing it will make us smile.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Added Aux backup lights to my daily and solved taillight condensation issues.

Also working on a crack in a rain barrel.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
That slide is effing cool. My kids are probably too big for it, but it’d still be cool to have!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
That slide is effing cool. My kids are probably too big for it, but it’d still be cool to have!
We don't have kids but will be more than happy to just set up a couple of lawns chair and look at it.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Heating contractor knocked out blocking/supports back in 1997 when the house was built. Above the 2x4s I put in there is a point load (4x4). Before I jacked & blocked, the subfloor had settled about 1/2"
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
We don't have kids but will be more than happy to just set up a couple of lawns chair and look at it.
Going to make a heck of a Christmas decoration!

Maybe some of those Phillips Hue lights.

I'd want to get a comfy chair or at least some comfy cushions in there and chill in the stars.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Going to make a heck of a Christmas decoration!

Maybe some of those Phillips Hue lights.

I'd want to get a comfy chair or at least some comfy cushions in there and chill in the stars.
Funny that you mention Christmas decorations - we currently still have our one decoration on display. It's a 12' vintage fiberglass Santa.

Lighting would be nice. Be fun to do a one-time video with a smoke machine under it so it looked like liftoff was coming.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Vincent, if you are doing seams or largeish patches, you might want to use double sided sailmakers tape to hold things where you want them while running it thru the machine.
Lay the material out flat and unloaded, then apply the tape to the bottom layer, then place top piece or patch material smoothly in place and press together.

It should now run thru the machine and come out like you asymbled it..

It also helps to orient any patch material with the weave of the surrounding material.

Sailmakers have their machines set into the floor or very large table, which makes it much easier to keep things in place as you feed them thru the machine.
Hope that helps.

Cheers Richard
Thanks! You are way ahead of me. I replaced a few grommets, more tools!, repaired a rip around one and then a ~8" section close to the luff. Last thing is a few spots on the leech are shaggy. Yeah, really need a new sail. Only broke 2 needles so far I'm learning.

Newest project was to get power to the new bandsaw. Not hard but I'm not 100% comfortable with AC so I go slow and tripple check everything. I need to make new handrails for the cabin top, so far I'm made lots of kindling.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

https://www.facebook.com/fred.grosshaupt/videos/2447210625342225/?t=24
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:

WHOA! This post will never ever be equaled in this thread.......

Old 03-17-2019, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Been a day of normal maintenance items. Trash out, water softening system serviced, dish washer filters cleaned, trying to fix the ignition switch on my little tractor.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: