Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Swapping out handguards on my 9mm AR build - which means new barrel nut, fake gas block, etc. get installed.

Unfortunately, PSA's "round" hand guards aren't so I'm trying to figure out "do I sand/file and make it work or wait until Monday and call PSA and complain about out of spec stuff".

These "round" hand guards are so oval that the front end doesn't fit in the end cap, and the back end is a bear to get into the delta ring retainer thingie...

Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I see you

Tore up a window sill removing a window AC unit and finally got around to fixing it yesterday. Removed it, sanded it, retreated the wood and reinstalled.

Today, after the MotoGP is done I have two multi outlet boxes in the basement that have dead plugs. I'm thinking just a bad switch but we'll see later. I know I can replace them for $10 buuuut no I can't.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 03-10-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Just a few of many previous fixes:
-Had a problem with the slding volume level control on the clock radio. A spray of contact cleaner. Also used it to clean the contacts on the mouse buttons. The stuff is great.
-Water heater running out of hot water too quickly. New dip tube and good to go.
-I was getting annoying headaches after reading PARF. Put a few folks on the ignore list and no more headaches.

Just happened recently:
-The interior lights in the Carrera wouldn't come one when the doors were opened. Checked everything but could never find the cause. Just recently, for no apparent reason they started working again. Not really fixed by me but a win is a win and I'll take it.

Last edited by Por_sha911; 03-10-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Kantry Member

Glued the bridge back on the old guitar which had belonged to my FIL. It really isn't much of an instrument, a Minerva sold in the '40s. It had been subjected to the very dry air in their old farmhouse. There were some splits in the back, a couple of loose braces inside and the bridge was coming adrift.

I got the humidity levels back up over a couple of months. The pic above is after the cracks closed, then steamed areas, applied glue and clamped using gussets and a fine wire. I made a new brace for one position but will try to salvage the other, as it is under the sound hole. Oh yeah, the machine heads were past it too.
This is the guitar my wife learned to play on. It will never be a show piece, but it won't be tossed to the curb.
Best
Les
Old 03-10-2019, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
Just a few of many previous fixes:
-Had a problem with the slding volume level control on the clock radio. A spray of contact cleaner. Also used it to clean the contacts on the mouse buttons. The stuff is great.
-Water heater running out of hot water too quickly. New dip tube and good to go.
-I was getting annoying headaches after reading PARF. Put a few folks on the ignore list and no more headaches.

Just happened recently:
-The interior lights in the Carrera wouldn't come one when the doors were opened. Checked everything but could never find the cause. Just recently, for no apparent reason they started working again. Not really fixed by me but a win is a win and I'll take it.

Look on the fuse block. As I remember it is the 4th fuse from the side closest to driver. There is a weird white connector. Wiggle it, or jumper it. That was the issue in my 85 Carrera.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Patching a sail, sewing is much harder than expected.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered

Mostly I’m fixing stuff around the house that my kids and wife break.
But my big project this spring has been replacing the raised garden beds, originally built out of wood, with bricks that my neighbor didn’t need.
Big- back breaking job, mixing cement and mortar. Brick laying is a hard job. But for my first go at it I did ok.
Still need to finish the capstone layer and fence in the other beds.
Hopefully this will keep the dogs out of the garden and I can go back to growing some vegetables.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
This house has three single pocket doors and two pairs of doubles. I hate the damn things. In only one application is a pocket door really necessary.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced way to put a security lock on a pocket door? I want to be able to deny access to a closet when we have a house full of people here.
Sliding bolt from top of door into sill, padlock
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
madcorgi

Yesterday: changed the oil on the M3 (at 100,095 miles), replaced the rear brake pads, bled the brakes, and apologized to the 911 for playing with its younger brother.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Quote:
This house has three single pocket doors and two pairs of doubles. I hate the damn things. In only one application is a pocket door really necessary.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced way to put a security lock on a pocket door? I want to be able to deny access to a closet when we have a house full of people here.
I hate them also. They actually make keyed and privacy locks for pocket doors. quite a variety on Amazon. They work like a patio door lock, with a hook to a catch plate.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I have this shop light that works great except the power cord is only 6' long. I got tired of having to look up an extension cord every time I wanted to use the light.

I tripped over this brand new old school shop light that I've been tripping over for years one final time and was about to pitch it. Image me standing in the shop with a cartoon light bulb over my head.

A little snip here..

A little nipping and tucking here ...

voilŕ!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
One thing great about this group, but often sadly lacking "outside", is that folks here fix things. Instead of doing the disposable-discard-replace thing.

I thought we'd have a "continuing thread" about whatever we are fixing now. Anything from cars to computers to toilets to toasters.

If you're doing your part to fight our disposable society, or being self-reliant, or simply being a cheap-ass money-saver, tell us.

Who knows, your tale might save another Pelican some money.
With this being a disposable society, I am fixing two broken landfills, getting the methane gas produced OUT and turning it into something useful...
Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Plugs on the RX8 yesterday, I premix the gas which is great for a rotary but makes for filthy plugs. Did a nice job of smoothing out both idle and high RPM operation. Wanted to bleed the brakes but ran out of time, next weekend I guess.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I finished an engine swap on my old rockford tora a few days ago and today i let my dad ride it he didnt make it half way round the house before crashing into my jeep. So I had to fix the fender shifter and foot peg. Again. No video unfortunately

Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

1. troubleshooting an a/c-heat issue on a 35yo MB 107

2. troubleshooting why my kid's amp isn't playing through the speakers in his car (that I installed)

between taking my daughter out for driving lessons
Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan79brooklyn View Post
Local house has two of these dogs. Don't even know what kind they are but I love them.

I see joggers running by the house and in two seconds they are putty (the pups) with a little bit of attention.

Off topic but pups are cool:

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 03-11-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
I finished an engine swap on my old rockford tora a few days ago and today i let my dad ride it he didnt make it half way round the house before crashing into my jeep. So I had to fix the fender shifter and foot peg. Again. No video unfortunately

That looks like so much fun! Sorry about your dad. He’s OK?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
That looks like so much fun! Sorry about your dad. He’s OK?
It is! I built it because i wanted a bike that started first kick and i didnt have to fix something every time i wanted a ride. Before it had a yamaha 175 2 stroke on it with no second gear or kick starter. It was a death trap! Dad is fine i guess he bounces pretty good for a 70 year old
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Patching a sail, sewing is much harder than expected.
Vincent, if you are doing seams or largeish patches, you might want to use double sided sailmakers tape to hold things where you want them while running it thru the machine.
Lay the material out flat and unloaded, then apply the tape to the bottom layer, then place top piece or patch material smoothly in place and press together.

It should now run thru the machine and come out like you asymbled it..

It also helps to orient any patch material with the weave of the surrounding material.

Sailmakers have their machines set into the floor or very large table, which makes it much easier to keep things in place as you feed them thru the machine.
Hope that helps.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 03-11-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Local house has two of these dogs. Don't even know what kind they are but I love them.

I see joggers running by the house and in two seconds they are putty (the pups) with a little bit of attention.

Off topic but pups are cool:

Golden Retrievers, Bob. Real sweethearts, as you said. Love the vid...lol....

That's a cool looking place you have there in Japan, Dan!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: