Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
Finally got the little bypass kit and got it wired in so the DVD now plays! I still have a little trim work to do but pretty stoked so far.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #601 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rsrguy
So damn sweet!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #602 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrguy View Post
So damn sweet!
Thanks, brother!

I just uploaded a YT vid from one I had on this morning.......gotta say......this is one of the greatest things I've experienced in quite a while!

Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #603 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That's sick Baz.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #604 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
That's sick Baz.
Thanks, brah.

Standard equipment on all the new vehicles though, eh? So probably not that big a deal for those with modern vehicles, unlike my '02....
Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #605 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Purchased this '78 BMW R80/7 about 2.5 months ago with full fairings, twin seat, and luggage.

Still need a tach/speedo, custom shocks, and to put the short pipes on but she's getting there.

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #606 (permalink)

Used User

Painting the top half of the Jag XJ6. Well, primer just went on. Pics later.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #607 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
Purchased this '78 BMW R80/7 about 2.5 months ago with full fairings, twin seat, and luggage.

Still need a tach/speedo, custom shocks, and to put the short pipes on but she's getting there.
Nice....that will be a lot of fun!

My '78 R90/6 needs a restoration and I look forward to that project when time allows.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #608 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Nice....that will be a lot of fun!

My '78 R90/6 needs a restoration and I look forward to that project when time allows.

90s are pretty rare right? How many miles?

I think it will be. While I've had a number of motorcycles over the years this is the first that I've redone. It is remarkable at how simple BMW made these things. Almost everything on it simply bolts on or off. I think I'll probably end up buying several more BMW Rs and modifying them differently. Such great style.

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 10-21-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #609 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
Draining the pool to remove excessive stabilizer.

Remembered I had a second submersible pump

Refilling

Full

A day later super clean!

Drain and refill in a bit over 24 hours. 24,500 gallons.
what submersible are you using. Need to do the same thing for the same reason
"69 912 white w/ '86 3.2L (like the pic, just not the pic)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #610 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
90s are pretty rare right? How many miles?

I think it will be. While I've had a number of motorcycles over the years this is the first that I've redone. It is remarkable at how simple BMW made these things. Almost everything on it simply bolts on or off. I think I'll probably end up buying several more BMW Rs and modifying them differently. Such great style.
Not sure about rarity - or mileage without looking, Ryan.

I'm not what you'd call the consummate motorcycle mechanic but if I get into trouble I have a local mechanic who can help. Otherwise I'm not afraid to dive in.

I have several other bikes plus heaps of other ongoing projects and maintenance items so probably won't do much on mine for now except what's needed to keep it operational.

I do love the airheads and there's a bunch of others here who do as well. Sorta the 911 of motorcycles....

Hope you post again with updates...have fun!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #611 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Sometimes I need just another foot or two to reach stuff so I use a small stepladder around the property but have problems when working off the concrete with the legs sinking into the ground - especially in a mulched bed.

I decided to try putting some stabilizers on the legs and this is how it turned out.

Will try it out in the morning but it has to be better than it was before......

Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #612 (permalink)

Used User

Good idea.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #613 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Pulled 8 snow tires down from the racks last night and put them onto both daily drivers this morning. 8.5 inches of snow this week had me thinking that this was a good idea.
Put the summers up on the racks this afternoon and I am wondering who had the brilliant idea to mount them up so high and out of the way????
Seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess...
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #614 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
A tale of two switches!

Replaced a faulty oil pressure switch on the 356 on Sunday and then today - a faulty AC pressure switch on the Silverado.

Fortunately - this very inexpensive fix resolved the problems on both vehicles....

Old 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #615 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
We had a slight dip in temps yesterday and this morning. Now back to the 80's but supposed to cool off again Monday/Tuesday plus lower humidity - which means good gardening weather!

I have quite a bit of work lined up and made some good progress on this area which was clogged with Crinums, Cycads, Palms, and Elephant Ears. Got those cleared out and now doing re-potting of all my sun bromeliads....

I have some Cardboard Plants busting out of their pots like this!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #616 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Just replaced two table lamp sockets for my Mom's house. They were the 3-way style that turned and I installed the kind that goes back and forth (on/off) to simplify. A little tricky getting the bolt to extend enough to screw on the new socket but I wrapped the base of it with thin wire to help hold it in place and that worked perfectly.

Also, yesterday I received a new kind of landscape light. They are color changing and encased in a housing with a SS top.

I've had color changing before and encased ones before but what's different with these is they retain the color you set them on when the power goes on and off - and then there's the material they are encased in. Plastic/composite on the bottom and SS on top - MUCH more corrosion-proof than any I've ever used.

I intend to treat them with some kind of material to further corrosion proof them - haven't decided that yet.

What's cool is they fit perfectly inside 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe. So now I have that to use for whatever installation method I use. Even if I jam the pipe straight into the ground and leave the lights 12" up - it will provide a corrosion proof and sturdy mount.

I've been re-thinking my landscape lighting and going to go into more colors than white and see how that works. I was looking at some vintage retro mid-century modern landscaping that had colored lighting - especially green and blue - and thought it looked very very cool.

Here are the lights - Amazon approx. $90 for eight of them.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #617 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The snow is starting to fly so I started making some skis for my mini snowmobile

Old 11-19-2020, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #618 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Shortened the legs on my new $25 Home Depot work platform. Now itís easier to work on the engine of my truck. You can see I bought two...one modified and one stock.

Fabricated and installed inner splash shields on the F150.

Installed new brakes all the way around in Ms Rocketís Tahoe.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-22-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Old 11-22-2020, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #619 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
^^^I bought that same platform at HD last week. Pretty good deal for $25.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #620 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: