Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Bosses.

I respect my superiors. Its in my ethnic DNA.

But I hate the constant testing of my patience.

Recent storms destroyed our roads. I keep getting the emergency jobs. Im not afraid to make field calls, I suppose. I got a new project. I good one. We had a field meeting with our potential contractor. I invited my boss. He said NO he going skiing. Err. I asked him to postpone trip. NO.

Okay I got this. We formulated a bad ass plan. Not too expensive. Fast.

I got the money today. Boom! Game on!

Now? My boss wants a field meeting to come up w a plan. Haha. I said we have one, you were SKIING. I pushed back hard.

Meeting is set for 12:30.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Could be worse. He could have volunteered you for a presentation in front of a packed conference hall.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd go skiing at 12:30....it's in my DNA ....
Old 03-15-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
I respect my superiors. Its in my ethnic DNA.

But I hate the constant testing of my patience.

Recent storms destroyed our roads. I keep getting the emergency jobs. Im not afraid to make field calls, I suppose. I got a new project. I good one. We had a field meeting with our potential contractor. I invited my boss. He said NO he going skiing. Err. I asked him to postpone trip. NO.

Okay I got this. We formulated a bad ass plan. Not too expensive. Fast.

I got the money today. Boom! Game on!

Now? My boss wants a field meeting to come up w a plan. Haha. I said we have one, you were SKIING. I pushed back hard.

Meeting is set for 12:30.
Hahaha, yeah, that sounds about right. Some folks just can't trust others or something. I'm not sure what the deal is, control issues, trust issues, trust but verify? I would think that he would just want to talk to you without having to have the whole thing over again, then if he sees a problem with what you did, then he could go back to the drawing board.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

Sounds like my supervisor...

Not a bad guy but total micro managing, anal retentive dufus...

Frankly I prefer when he is busy (spend 80% of his time doing redundant paperwork or in meetings) so I can to take up the slack and run the show...

And of course when the job is done he has to do a walk through and nit pick our work.

But at least being true to my work ethic we got the project finished.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Content User

Garage
When I first became a manager the single most difficult thing was to watch one of my reports do something different from the way I would have done it. The urge to jump in and say "Nooooo! Do it this way . . ." was so strong, but I managed to resist. I will 'help' if I see things getting way off-track, or offer suggestions to the effect of "Have you tried looking at the problem this way . . .", but most of the time I leave them to do things they way they want to do them. Everything turns out fine and I now appreciate different people's individual approaches.
1998 986 Boxster - Black - SOLD
1984 944 - Red - SOLD
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
...We had a field meeting with our potential contractor. I invited my boss. He said NO he going skiing. Err. I asked him to postpone trip. NO....(
Translation, "postpone the meeting till I'm back and can attend".
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerkuld View Post
When I first became a manager the single most difficult thing was to watch one of my reports do something different from the way I would have done it. The urge to jump in and say "Nooooo! Do it this way . . ." was so strong, but I managed to resist. I will 'help' if I see things getting way off-track, or offer suggestions to the effect of "Have you tried looking at the problem this way . . .", but most of the time I leave them to do things they way they want to do them. Everything turns out fine and I now appreciate different people's individual approaches.
Selfie of Aerkuld chilling at the beach?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
All my life I worked for small family owned businesses. From the days I was still in high school until just two years ago. I always knew with no doubt at all, who was THE boss and made the decisions.

Now I am in business for myself. My boss is a real jerk, he makes me work on weekends, and sometimes late at night and no overtime. Even worse the bosses wife will come in my office and flirt with me, and then make me go wash her Macan, or help her in the flower garden and mow the lawn.

I get even with the jerk boss, I drink his beer, and I sleep with his wife.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

^ That's the problem with being self-employed: You work for a tyrant!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
All my life I worked for small family owned businesses. From the days I was still in high school until just two years ago. I always knew with no doubt at all, who was THE boss and made the decisions.

Now I am in business for myself. My boss is a real jerk, he makes me work on weekends, and sometimes late at night and no overtime. Even worse the bosses wife will come in my office and flirt with me, and then make me go wash her Macan, or help her in the flower garden and mow the lawn.

Now that's funny right there.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Content User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Selfie of Aerkuld chilling at the beach?
Masraum - That's funny! Fortunately I've worked up to be in the position I'm now in. Doing so has given me the benefit of working for many managers, some were terrible, others were brilliant. That's given me exposure to the trait's I dislike, and some I admire. I try very hard to mimic the good examples.
In my opinion, too many managers are put in the position too soon, or because they're crap at the job they were doing.
1998 986 Boxster - Black - SOLD
1984 944 - Red - SOLD
Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post

....but does the "boss" go skiiing on ya ?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: