Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Playoffs are coming up.

I hope I can get come folks to post their brackets.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Someone is liking the Bruins' chances this year

We should know the first round matchups in a few days, but I'll predict now that the Lightning get the President's Trophy curse.

My wife LOVES this time of year
Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
This year is going to the Lightning. That team is just unreal.

That said, I will be pulling for my Islanders to go deep.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm taking my son to see Lightning Thursday nite for his 13th BD. They'll be tough to beat this year for sure but Leaf fans like me are thinking of how to get by Boston first.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I see you

I'm in but oh my God do the Devils suck.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
I'm in but oh my God do the Devils suck.
Not as much as the Kings....
Race for the bottom.
Hope the Flamers have better luck with them tonight than they did last week. Kings still have a lot of pride and a hate on for Tkachuck.

Who could have predicted that the Flames would be contending for the Conference?
I certainly didn't.

Will have to see how the brackets firm up over the next few days.

I don't really follow hockey much these days. Far too much going on to pay attention especially to the east. I will stop and watch a good close game regardless of who is playing.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Which team do you Eastern Gents figure has the best chance to take down the Bolts?
I like the Flames for the west, but the Jets, Preds, 'Vegas & the Hosers figure heavily in the mix.
The 'real' season, soon upon us, should make for some interesting & highly entertaining games.

Cheers
JB

Edit: I was wondering when you'd kick this off Joe - historically, this thread has been conducted
in a civil & gentlemanly manner. It'll be good to share you guys' thoughts.

Last edited by Hawkeye's-911T; 04-01-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The lightning are just the class of the East. Between Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, and Vasilefsky, they just don't have any glaring weaknesses. Good depth at all positions, well coached, etc.

While I don't think the Islanders have the offensive firepower to beat them in a 7 game series, they've played them well this year going 1-1-1 (with the win being a blowout, and the losses very tight games). Otherwise I'd say only the Bruins or Caps have a shot. I'm not high on Toronto.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The Lightning have unbelievable talent. The Caps beat them bad the other night in all aspects. The Cup still goes through Washington IMO. As much as I am a Leaf fan, there will be no Cup north of the 49 for the twenty-fifth year in a row.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshap View Post
The lightning are just the class of the East. Between Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, and Vasilefsky, they just don't have any glaring weaknesses. Good depth at all positions, well coached, etc.
Hedman is iffy. That would be a major loss.

Bolts have been the best team in several series over the last few years but still lost. Don't anoint them just yet.

The President's Cup is a poor predictor of playoff success. Caps did it last year, 2013 was the previous team.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
Who could have predicted that the Flames would be contending for the Conference?
I certainly didn't.
A number of people I spoke with earlier in the season thought they'd go at least one round in the playoffs.

But new coaching, a good trade, and some great line chemistry really made things take off.

Luckily, they won't have to play San Jose or Las Vegas in the first round. And based on Saturday night's performance, those two teams will kill each other.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post

Bolts have been the best team in several series over the last few years but still lost. Don't anoint them just yet.

The President's Cup is a poor predictor of playoff success. Caps did it last year, 2013 was the previous team.
Certainly. As they say "that's why they play the games".

That said, if I was a betting man my money is on the Bolts.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post

^^ I agree.

The Caps manhandled them the other night and the Bolts didn't seem to like the more physical game. Admittedly I haven't watched them much this season - maybe they can handle a physical game. They are going to need to if they want to go deep in the playoffs. Very different game than regular season.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Tampa has the defence Toronto wishes they had.

Even without Hedman they would be superior.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Not winning the cup is not an option for Tampa this year.
Should be fun to see how it plays out.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Tampa Bay is going to be very hard to beat, no question... but my heart is with the Jets.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
beatnavy: yes the Bruins are looking good this year but they are not bulletproof.

As far as the Bolts are concerned they have been strong all year long but there is a reason they call the playoffs the "second season". IMO, Tampa's big weakness is well, their weakness. The way to beat them is against the boards. To that end, the Bruins have speed and strength so they have a shot.
A good indicator as to how to beat Tampa is the last time the Bruins played them. Tampa won 5-4 but no one really ever got total dominance for a long period of time.

As I've said a million times, you won't win the cup without your goalie playing in an extreme elite level. The B's won the cup with one of the worst power play records of the entire NHL and Presidents Trophy winners have terrible stats. I think that with our top line of Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak we can lick the Bolts in 6 or 7.
(BTW, has anyone noticed who hit 100 pts and 36 goals this year? )

The Isles have had a miraculous resurrection from the dead. Trots deserves to have a serious shot at the Jack Adams Trophy for his work with them.

The Caps have come on strong this year but I don't see their goal-tending having what it takes to go the distance. The Pens have had a good run recently but they aren't the dominant force they once were.

I don't watch the West as much but I can see the Flames, Jets, or Preds going deep.

So, NHL.Com will have the annual bracket challenge. Put in your picks and give us a screen shot. I look forward to once again proving that I have no idea who will win (IIRC, I got 100% in the first round and got crushed in the 2nd round).

Quote:
historically, this thread has been conducted in a civil & gentlemanly manner.
OK Hawkeye, I promise to behave.

Go Bruins!

Last edited by Por_sha911; 04-03-2019 at 09:14 AM..
Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Fun facts about the Presidents Trophy:
-The last FIVE winners DIDN'T make it to the cup finals.

-2006-2012 FOUR winners were knocked out in the first round.

-Since 2006 only TWO winners have won the cup.

And, my favorite:
The Bruins beat the Presidents Trophy winning Canucks in 2011!

BTW have I mentioned who hit 100 point this year?

Last edited by Por_sha911; 04-03-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Flames for the Cup, there I said it...
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 04-03-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
BTW have I mentioned who hit 100 point this year?
THE Calgary Flames!!! @107 so far with two more to go!

'80 911SC Targa
'06 997 C4S Coupe - SOLD
'07 997TT Coupe
Old 04-03-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: