Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Lexus SUV's? Model recommendations? How DIY friendly?

My wife finally wants a newer car. She's been in our 2001 Audi A6 Avant for a long time and is looking for something not quite as long with some better ground clearance and all the creature comforts she has enjoyed. We were looking at a newer Q5 and she sat in a Lexus sedan yesterday. She is suddenly interested in checking out a couple other Lexus SUV's.

Any recommendations on models? Pro's/con's? How DIY-friendly are these? (I know nothing about Lexus.)

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have a LS430, which has the same V8 engine that Lexus used in a bunch of sedans and SUV's of the time.

I have found it very DIY friendly, considering they are marketed to buyers who usually are not big on DIY. There are some Lexus specific parts that can get up there in price, but most of the time they are shared part numbers with Toyota and reasonable. The engineering is also typical Toyota and they definitely built the car with maintenance in mind.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

We have an RX350, which my wife really likes. We havent yet had to do any DIY stuff, as the first couple of oil changes and services are free. But we really like the way it drives and the fit and finish.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We have owned a CPO 2011 Lexus RX350 since 2014. Have put 20k miles on it since getting it and now has 60k miles. I bought extended warranty on it and really it does not justify that extra cost as nothing has gone wrong except one leaky shock absorber.

I love the smoothness of the ride on the hiway. It is built rock solid and fuel consumption is great on the hiway. I just cannot see selling it as I don't put many miles on it. My daughter looked at an Infiniti suv but passed on it due leaky sunroof. She got an Audi Q5. As for working on it I don't know but Lexus maintenance costs have been very reasonable.

Cheers, Guy
Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

My son inherited a 2013 RX350 with 55k miles and I'm going through all the maintenance items I can find listed and then some. So far I've been able to find videos for various tasks. E.g. oil change, replace door lock mechanism, replace engine and cabin air filter. I'd say that unless you get an unusual electronic issue DIY is possible if you have experience and patience to read forums and watch videos before digging in. My impression is that the design is high quality, things fit and can be taken apart with relative ease when you know the tricks. Sort of like my P-car.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I bought an 2003 LX 470 in 2005. It's now got 154k and I've replaced the cam belt and pretty much followed the Lexus recommended r&m which is basically filters and eyeballing to make sure nothing has fallen off. It's been great. Looks and rides like a new car. Down side is13 mpg and 17 mpg, city/highway. Also have a 2002 LS 430 with 199 k and it has also been perfect.

87 Targa
Old 07-01-2019, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks! Will pass along and see what she finally decides...
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

GX470, Gen4 4Runner chassis in a Lexus tuxedo. Pretty easy to work on, ditch the air suspension, get springs. Lots of aftermarket mods. Gas mileage crap, but love this thing.

2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 07-02-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: